StL 2019 Game 39 thread: Fri 5/10 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 39 thread: Fri 5/10 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (3-3, 4.71) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (1-1, 3.74) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good win last night. Hopefully we saved some runs for the rest of the series.

More good news is that the Cubs are done with the Marlins for the year. They now have to play against major league teams the rest of the season.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

we came out hard against the Phils and disappeared…i hope we dont do it again against the Bucs….i want to win this series

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In this day and age, how in heck can you tally 17 runs and not poke a homer?
    I guess we had to have something to complain about. With Carp coming around, who in this league can stop our Birds? You know what they say about payback and may God be my judge it’s coming big time for both Philly and Chicago! I’m calling this one 6-4 Cards with Carp banging a shot well up into the rafters in right.

P.S. Hey Rat, your lame squad out of Jasper lucked out with their 2-1 win.
    Watch what Vincennes does to them next time…..it won’t be pretty from your standpoint!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? Jasper lost to their arch-rival Southridge tonight 7-2. I wasn’t there, still a little under the weather, but I listened to it on the radio.

And I agree, a long dong by Carpenter in this one will sort of set the tone of the game. And I did enjoy watching the Cubs lose today. Watched the whole game. Cubs have some good anouncers!

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some sweet info, Esteemed Rat!

Frazier deposits his 2nd dinger of the young campaign into the cheap seats in right…. 1-0 Bad Guys.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino whiffs 3 Bucs in the 1st….all gazing. I wonder what pitcher registered the most K’s in a game without having any of his whiff victims go down swinging? That may be a good question for our good friends over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau. Maybe Waino toys with that record tonight? Stay tuned.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kudos to Shildt for inserting DeJong into that 3 hole in the order right off the bat this year, as you like to have your best all around hitter in that slot…..this being said with a tip of the cap to Mr. Jose Martinez. Oh oh is O hurt? Nope, Ozuna looks ok. Birds straddling 2nd & 3rd with 2 out and the aforementioned JMart at the dish….let us stay with the action shall we?

JMart – On 3-2 Jose fouls off a couple and then watches a wide Williams slider drift outside and the bases are now totally and unequivocally crammed with Cardinals! Let’s uncram them Yadi!

Yadi – Yadi whiffs swinging. Well the bad news is that we did not score here in the 1st….but the good news is that it took Williams 30 heaves to accomplish it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like the Busch faithful are being treated to a couple of jim dandy bobbleheads this evening. How do B-heads of Yadi and Roberto Clemente grab you!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh for the good ole’ days when these game threads were teeming with posters. They were so busy you could hardly get a word in edgewise sometimes.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Josh Bell commits gloved robbery as he steals a double away from Carpenter to close out the Cardinal 2nd….ouch that stung!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 3.

Goldy – Plants a Williams breaking ball into right field for his second straight single on the night.

DeJong – Strikes out, but earns a score of 10 for that healthy cut! Boy if Paul had connected on that swing, we would be looking at a 2-1 Cardinal lead right about now.

Ozuna – Slaps a ground ball in between short and 3rd and out into left field for a hit….Goldschmidt stopping at 2nd.

JMart – Ahh! Jose rolls a grounder out to short …flips to 2nd for one and over to Bell at 1st to put an abrupt end to the Cardinal offensive aspirations here in the 3rd.

Cards 0
    Bucs 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Melky Cabrera……boy if you don’t like Cabby you simply do not like baseball.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino, minus the 1st inning mistake to Frazier, is pitching a very nice game here this evening. But if the Cards are going to make any real serious hay here this year, either one or two of the young starters are really going to have to step up their game big time or the front office is going to have to pull off a major deal for an excellent starter……similar to what the cubbies did in a mid season acquisition way back in ’84 with Cleveland in acquiring the likes of Rick Sutcliffe…..good luck on pulling that off, Mo!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pirates mount a serious threat in the 4th, but are unable to inflict any damage on the scoreboard. Time to get these guys, guys!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Forget about Sutcliffe. How about Woody Williams in 2001? 7-1, 2.28 ERA. The Cards wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You know, scanning the audience here at Busch on this fine Friday evening, it’s become very noticeable that this is one heck of a good looking group. Most games the crowds look pretty much the same….some real unattractive people, a lot of average looking Joe’s and Josephine’s and a few super good looking ladies mingled in. But tonight is different, as this is truly a nice looking bunch. I recall this game at Wrigley last year when the Reds were visiting and I swear the whole darn lot was just plain butt ugly…..oh lookie here! The Pirates are booting the ball all around the diamond here in the 4th and the Birds have runners at 2nd & 3rd …let’s stay with the action here shall we?

Carp – Strikes out flailing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two in scoring position thanks to Bucs errors. Carpenter fans without making a good swing after Wainwright bunted with first and third with one out. Seven left on base through four with Bucs still up, 1-0.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed Brian….a whale of a deal getting Woody. But I think if we compared the two in their first half season’s with their new clubs, Sutcliffe would have the better stats hands down. How about some other fantastic mid season pitching acquisitions? How about John Tudor from Pittsburgh. Others?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But I think that is what it’s going to take for our Cardinals to seriously contend for a championship. Forget Sutcliffe, Woody or Tudor, as prying a pitcher like one of those away is truly a pipe dream, but heck, I’d settle for a Cole Hamels-like pickup. The bullpen is going to start paying the price if we do not add somebody soon.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not really an even comparison. Sutcliffe’s trade was so early (mid-June) that he had time to make 20 starts. He went 16-1, 2.69.

Woody was not acquired until early August and had time to make just 11 starts. His 7-1 record is comparable to Sutcliffe, and his ERA was better. Even more importantly, he did it for the team that matters!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How old is Waino? Thru 6 innings, Waino has fanned 7 Pirates as he sets them down in order once again. That’s 83 pitches for the big guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, there are going to be guys who have numbers like Woody available this summer. I remember when Lankford was traded for him. It was not popular, as Woody was 34 years old, had a losing record (58-62) and a 4.32 career ERA.

P.S. Coincidentally, 4.32 is also Jack Flaherty’s 2019 ERA to date.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.