StL 2019 Game 38 thread: Thu 5/9 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 38 thread: Thu 5/9 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (2-0, 5.17) vs. RHP Joe Musgrove (1-3, 2.63) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We need to win three of these four against the Pirates. But I see Polanco is back so it just become a little more difficult.

The Cubs host the Brewers this weekend and will probably win two of three. Hoping Miami can steal another game at Wrigley.

And Pugs, your prognostication for the Vincennes @ Jasper game was a wee bit off. Instead of 11-4 Vincennes it ended 2-1 Jasper in 8 innings. Both starters went the distance and pitched well, defenses were pretty good for high school, and it was actually an enjoyable game to watch.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sometimes you have to right the ship on the fly. Ideally the Cards could use a day off, but the schedule is what it is. Wacha needs to get back on it, and the defense needs to get the head out of their you know whats.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the playoffs started today, the Cards would be in a playoff game for the second wild card. Goes to show how a cold streak can really kill any momentum a team has. No part of the team is really clicking right now.

This is an important series. The Pirates are not a very good team, but will probably hang around .500 all season. A true series win would be a nice way to get things moving in the right direction again.

NJ315
    Participant

They will have 5 days off in the next three weeks so they can take advantage of that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs win over the Marlins today 4-1 at Wrigley.

They are about to clinch the NL Central.

We have no hope or chance.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who haven’t given up on the season and are still following, Molina plates one and Fowler drives in two. Cards up 3-1 in the second. Still no out.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt plated the fourth run, but Wacha gave one right back in the top of the third. 4-2.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards add two in the home third with Fowler and Wong getting the RBI. 6-2. Wacha needs to eat some innings.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

things are going well today. though the cardinals usually do well against the pirates and to be honest I don’t consider the pirates to be that good of a team. they are about average at best in my eyes. but you got to start somewhere, very important for the cards to win this series, anything less would be a disappointment.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Head to head, the Cards have the slight advantage over the Bucs in recent years. Pretty consistent results.

2018 and 2017 – 11-8
    2016 and 2015 – 10-9

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well their record against the pirates in recent years echoes the fact that both the cardinals and pirates have been average recently.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I think this team has the potential to do well against average pitching staffs. just don’t see them stacking up against better staffs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

the pirates look just as bad tonight as the cardinals have looked recently in some of their games

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, the offense is certainly clicking tonight.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well wacha has been handed a win on a platter. hopefully he can continue to pitch well and go deep here. and by deep I mean 6 maybe 7 innings. I consider deep 8 or 9 but im being realistic in todays game.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Average” would be a record of 81-81 or close to it.

Aggregate over 2015-2018:

Cardinals – 66 games over .500 = clearly ABOVE average
    Pirates – 3 games over .500 = clearly average

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Did Dan and Rick say that Martinez has hitting 95-98 during his most recent outing?

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well bwalton you are technically right. though I don’t go by the baseline of a 500 record as the absolute in saying a team is average. ive seen enough ball to use my eyes instead of math in some cases. plus 66 games over four years only averages out to 16 games over or so. plus 2015 kinda skews it being it was the year we won the division. take that out and its not that great. but different people, different perspectives.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ONLY 16 games over? That is an 89-73 record! You are the world’s toughest grader!

But ok, 2015 was also Pittsburgh’s biggest year during that time. Taking 2015 out, just going 2016-2018.

Cards – 28 games over .500 – average record = 86-76
    Bucs – 10 games under .500 – average record = 79-83

I am sorry, but calling both those teams “average” just isn’t valid.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bucs had two in scoring position, but the Cards still had a seven-run lead in the sixth and Shildt brought in Gant. I am not sure about that.

Cards now up 13-4 and still scoring in the home sixth.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are scoring all their runs from the last several bad games at once. 16-4 now.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years