StL 2019 Game 36 thread: Tue 5/7 vs. Phils

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 36 thread: Tue 5/7 vs. Phils

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (2-2, 4.80) vs. RHP Aaron Nola (2-0, 5.06) Fox Sports Midwest // MLB Network // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1st Place Cards host the Phillies in this one. The Cubs lost to Miami last night 6-5. Miami scored three runs in the 9th off of Strop. And a bonehead play by their lefty reliever Ryan. Grounder back to him and he had the runner between 3rd and home with only one out. But he turned and threw to first and let the runner walk home. The Cubs announcers couldn’t believe it.

Then Bryant homered in the last of the 9th to make it 6-5. That’s how it ended.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mikolas winds up pitching the best start for the Cards this season (GS=76). Last season, this is when he started to pitch his best games, and during a stretch of six games from the end of April to mid-May he established himself as the “ace” of the staff. His Game Score for those 6 games averaged 65. He is the one guy that some fans point to as the fine job that the FO has done. You can’t dispute that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“He is the one guy that some fans point to as the fine job that the FO has done.”

DeJong, Bader, Martinez, Flaherty, Hicks, ….

14NyquisT
    Participant

? Seriously. O dios mio. Que lastima.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, always obfuscating things with facts. Ha!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lots of sports action tonight in the Lou. First, I have to say LET’S GO BLUES!! And, just like that the Cards are back in first!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What a disaster in the field for the Cards in the 2nd. You see much better baseball than this in Williamsport every August. Hudson, Wong, DeJong, Yadi, Fowler, Wong again, Hudson again — they’re all messing up! Better get it together quickly. Down 2-0 with bases loaded and no outs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Man, with all the walks and errors, we could all see that coming. Harper made Hudson pay dearly. Grand slam into the pen and now the deficit is 6-0. Dabo Swinney was seen slinking toward the exit. 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dakota Hudson is the type of pitcher who, with the new juiced ball, probably can’t cut it at the MLB level. Even if they cut it back eventually, the damage done by it so far may be enough to affect his entire career. I’ve never seen someone give up so few homers in the minors and so many in the majors before. It’s like night and day.

itibob1721
    Participant

Free

Totally agree about the front office doing a great job.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Well the win streak ends at 1. 3 grand slams given up in 4 games. That’s gotta be some kind of record

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Once they’re gone………. they’re gone. Not to pick on Gregerson here, but I like playing the percentages. Never bring an ex-player back for another tour of duty, as it so very rarely works out. It has about the same odds of success as taking back an old girlfriend/boyfriend. These are basics that one would think every GM should know.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

None of the four Cardinal pitchers used tonight should be on the big league roster.

Hudson still has a future but isn’t ready. Webb is marginally serviceable. Gregerson and Leone are both unmitigated disasters.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bryant just hit a walkoff three-run homer as the Cubs beat the Marlins 5-2. He has gone deep in three straight games.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

gosh darn it Brian! You beat me to it by seconds.

Cubs were fortunate. I am sure the 2nd place Cards will fold now and the Cubs will win out.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gosh darn it Brian! You beat me to it by seconds.

I didn’t think you would be so anxious to be the bearer of bad news, Rat. Especially via a Bryant walk-off Jack. Just terrible news tonight everywhere in the world of sports. Heck even The Crew prevailed. But fortunately, the other Milwaukee team, your soon to be world champion Milwukee Bucks, are poised to put the Celtics out of their misery tomorrow.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Webb’s only value is that he’s left handed.

Leone was good one year. Now all he’s good for is being injured and getting lit up.

Luke is washed up.

Would you take Cecil over any of them? lol

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The pen is bipolar. We have a couple of very nice developments there, and yep, we’ve got a few guys who everybody knows are bums. Pugs, I agree about the GM basics, but the strategy of hope seems about as good or even better than anything else they feel they can pull off. It’s got to be a tough business.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I don’t know where to start but I know where it finished for me – at the end of the 6th inning I turned it off and went to watch a rerun of The Curse of Oak Island. That marks the first time I have ever turned off a Cards game no matter the score. But what I saw last night from a pitcher who couldn’t hit the side of a barn to an infield that looked like something out of a T-ball game it was enough to turn it off. Not surprised at the final score an am glad to see Shildt didn’t waste any good BP arms in the effort.

Soooooo there are days like that and now that its over lets get this train back on the tracks – 4 more home games to bring back the fans. The errors are just inevitable but I don’t believe Hudson is the pitcher who should have been on the starting rotation – Gant has shown that in spades but has now made himself too valuable to the BP. Maybe Carlos can help if he ever comes back.

But there is one good thing – they managed to stuff all those awful performances into one game and not spread them out like they did all last season. GO CARDS -(please)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pat on the back to Shildt keeping Hudson in the game to right himself after going through a post-graduate class in Adversity 404. I felt bad for him, you could actually see the angst in his eyes. A crappy game but a good lesson taught.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.