StL 2019 Game 20 thread: Sat 4/20 vs. Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 20 thread: Sat 4/20 vs. Mets

This topic contains 28 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (1-1, 6.00) vs. LHP Jason Vargas (1-0, 14.21) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX // WJIR

Update: Due to his strep throat, RHP Jacob deGrom (2-2, 3.68) was moved back one day to Saturday, with Vargas pitching on Friday instead.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Mets are putting deGrom on the IL, but FWIW, he is not traveling back to NY until the series is over. They are bringing up a pitcher to replace him on Saturday, but who he is and who starts for them that night has not yet been announced. They are not moving up Syndergard from Sunday. He will remain the Game 3 starter.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reminder that this is a day game… Mets starter is RHP Chris Flexen, just up from Triple-A. He has a career 8.45 ERA across 18 games, 10 starts for the Mets between 2017 and 2018.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Couple of comments. There have been several times now where Kolten Wong comes up after Dexter Fowler has reached base, facing a left hander with less the two outs. I do not understand why Wong does not try to bunt to at least move the runner over, and perhaps even beat it out. He finally showed bunt last night one time, but the pitch was way outside.

It’s nice to see Dex going well. I like what Edmonds said about him – his stance and approach seem to be “quieter” than last year. He is staying back, being more patient, and is seeing the ball real well.

He also looks comfortable in center field. Hopefully he can keep it going, as the way our outfielders are dropping we need some stability.

Good to see the kid muscle up on a ball, hitting it the other way no less. Nice debut for Lane Thomas, although it seems like his name should be Thomas Lane. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A new pitcher that the Cards have never faced…what could possibly go wrong?? Haha!

I’ll be getting ready for and going to an early Easter dinner, so I won’t catch any of this one. Hopefully the Cards can even the series.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

need to get offense going early today.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I agree stlcard25, the cards will probably make him look like dizzy dean. but I hope not.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

that was a bad swing at a 3-0 pitch. yea it was a strike but it was a pitchers strike, not in an area great to hit.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

at least mikolas seems on today

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After last night’s game I was wondering does anyone know what our team batting average is with a runner on third and less than two outs? Asking for a friend.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

way to go mikolas, got some runs, now continue pitching well

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I want JMart in the lineup as much as possible if he keeps hitting like this. Dude is a hitting machine.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

After last night’s game I was wondering does anyone know what our team batting average is with a runner on third and less than two outs? Asking for a friend.

.250 (9 of 36). That is very close to the overall team BA of .254.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Will Mikolas be the first starter to pitch into the seventh inning this season?

Nice running catch by Ozuna, smacking into the wall, to end the Mets’ sixth. Cards lead 6-0.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“After last night’s game I was wondering does anyone know what our team batting average is with a runner on third and less than two outs? Asking for a friend.”

The team is 9-36 with 15 strikeouts and just 3 sacrifice flies. So that’s a .250 average (and a ~.700 OPS).
    For context, this year the MLB average is .323 with a .905 OPS. And double the sac fly rate as well.

So yes, the Cards have been horrific compared to their peers. (Last year the MLB average was .318 with an .864 OPS, and in 2017 it was .331 and .889.)

Obviously an enormous advantage is to the hitter in that situation. But the Redbird batters (so far, over a very small sample) have been unable to understand/exploit that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Last season, they were .249 (overall) and .295 (runner on 3B, less than two outs). Why can’t hitters put up the same average no matter the situation? Aren’t they trying their hardest in every at-bat?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Paul DeJong, Mets Killer, hits his second double, driving in Carpenter for run no. 7.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

JMart with a first pitch drive to left-center to plate 2 more. 9-0 after 6.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So who doesn’t think JMart should be in the starting lineup?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the Mikolas pitch count currently in the low 80’s it would be nice if he could go 8 innings. The pen needs a break.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When the team is at full strength, I don’t think Martinez should be in the starting lineup. On that triple to right center, he was barely in the picture. I would like to see Thomas get a start in center and move Fowler back to right. Hopefully that would work until Bader is back.

Coming into today, Martinez had a 91 OPS+ for the season. That means he was hitting below MLB average and we know he is also below average in the field. We know what Martinez is and is not. Let’s see what Thomas has.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Mikolas at 90 pitches, but should finish out the eighth. Longest start of the year for the Cards, and first to go into 7 innings. Too much to ask for 10 more starts like that?!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards win 10-2.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years