StL 2019 Game 128 thread: Fri 8/23 vs. Rockies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 128 thread: Fri 8/23 vs. Rockies

This topic contains 44 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good to see they can score without the home run.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? You weren’t too far off. Amazingly enough it was Evansville Memorial 35 and Jasper 0 at the half. That is rare, and I mean EXTREMELY RARE that Jasper is behind 35-0 at the half. May have never, ever happened before. They have decades of amazing success. Anyway, the final score was 35-14 I believe. The clock ran the entire 2nd half, no stops, per the Mercy Rule.

Glad to see the Redbirds up 6-0 and Fletcher twirling another gem, perhaps.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who is about to have his Double Whopper from Burger King

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice work by Goldy, Ozuna and Dejong to get two more runs this inning.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Every starter now has at least one hit—-except Fowler and Wong at the top of the order. Both have made contributions to our scoring.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

John Gant really struggled to get three outs in the ninth. Cards win 8-3 and have taken the first two games of the series and first place.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Gant looked terrible that inning. He crossed Molina a few times it looked like, including the passed ball.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good pitching until the 9th and solid hitting. 2-10 with RISP and they scored 8. Glad to see the Cubs take one on the chin as well.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

watched game via recording. overall a great game. ozuna is raking. goldy is there but just a little off. hes getting hits but hopefully he can get that big hit swing a goin. everybody did some great things offensively to help the team. bader continues to have great at bats. hes not hitting bolts across the field but as long as he has those good at bats, it will come around. I don’t feel hes ever gonna be a 300 hitter but like Edmonds said, he doesn’t have to be. I wouldn’t mind him being a little more aggressive on the second strikes and staying more on top the ball when he gets to two strikes so as to use his speed but I think hes fine. the pitching by Flaherty was superb. brebbia did great as usual. right now gant seems a little off. not having a true closer right now could hurt us. we are beating the teams we should so that is great. personally I prefer the lineup they have right now even when they some of the other guys come back. its a really solid defensive lineup and if our pitchers pitch like they should, its good enough offensively especially if dejong can get hot. give some days off here and there maybe but having a set lineup is good. when oneil and Martinez come back we could have a pretty good bench. If bader regresses back to his old self, one of them can take his spot bujt right now hes getting on base and when his speed is on the bases, good things happen.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Flaherty has only given up 4 runs in 49.1 innings with 64k’s since the AS break. Impressive is an understatement!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Gant was about the only thing that looked unimpressive in this game. Maybe some extra rest will help. Arenado is a beast and he isn’t leaving the Rockies with his big new contract.
    The Cards finally found a rookie they could beat but, even at that, they left a lot of ducks on the pond.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

EW wrote:

< He’s been pretty good at knowing when to push and pull, but the problem long term is that the China is not on a 4-year election cycle.>

Actually EW, on last nights news they were saying that Xi is in much bigger trouble than our P. He has set himself up with total authority and his head is on the chopping block now because of the Chinese economy. As for the fickle stock market, that thing goes up and down drastically so much that any rumor seems to set it on fire. I speak as somebody who has NO stocks but am damned tired of reading Made in China on everything I own. Next they will be buying MLB (if they haven’t done it already). My semi-political rant is over.

PS: Bought the wife a new sewing machine yesterday and it was made in ……wait…..wait…..Taiwan.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Gant was over used earlier in the year as the BP was sorting itself out. Hopefully they can let him rest and refresh down the stretch, especially after rosters expand. With the lead they had, I would have been in favor of them using Leone just to keep the mileage off the often used guys.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

If any of you thought that Flaherty is not a premier pitcher in MLB you should be on the Black Jack Express by now. Clearly the best pitcher since the AS break. We have something way special here.

Its a good thing that the FO kept at least one comer for our team. They traded away some solid talent that we could use right now. Weaver-Alcantara-Gallen.

Lost dreams: Gomber-Reyes-Shew-Helsley as have spent a lot of ’19 on the IL and have been of little help. Cabrera and Kruczynski have fizzled and Woodford-AuWarner have had inconsistent seasons.

PonceDeLeon is showing some brilliance back at Memphis and should be considered a very solid #6 starter.

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Heck of a game for the Cards.

If they can win the division looks like Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas as the playoff starters?

Sad to say but Carpenter needs to stay on the bench for the rest if the year. He just never was able to get it together.

A lot of baseball left with a bunch (7?) against the Cubs.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good game for us. Looked good everywhere except for 9th inning. Checked our Gant after the game.Hes really made the rounds. Way better pitcher than hes shown the last 2 times hes been in. Last night he looked half speed till he gave up the 3 runs. Those guys need to come out of the pen focused and already warmed up. Hate it when it takes them 3 batters to get going. The guy can pitch but we can’t afford for these guys to be giving up runs in the 9th. We’re good but not that good. Go Cardinals!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant was about the only thing that looked unimpressive in this game.

Except for the hideous uniforms.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I will say in Gant’s defense is that sometimes good relievers don’t perform the same in blowouts, non-save situations, and mop up duty. The intensity just isn’t the same. I know that isn’t a good excuse but he has been very good for us in high leverage situations. I don’t reach for the Maalox with him like I do CMart.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yeah thats true Gscotar but thats a terrible habit to have.Some closers can’t pitch unless the house is burning down. I’m sure you remember Rosie. Thats how he was till it just got worse and worse and ended up not being able to do anything. I don’t believe in letting up on anything unless you are trying to end it quickly. Spotting em three runs cause you got 8 to use don’t do it for me!

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

You hear it sometimes, but in Gant’s case the problems are not isolated to the big lead this game. He was great the first two months — not so much in June — and spotty or bad since then.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by EuroWolf EuroWolf.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Since July 23 John Gant has been pretty bad out of the pen. 17.1 IP, 6.75 ERA, 13 BB, 10 K

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years