StL 2019 Game 122 thread: Sat 8/17 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 122 thread: Sat 8/17 at Reds

This topic contains 46 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

5:40 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (7-12, 4.13) vs. RHP Anthony DeSclafani (7-6, 4.20) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now there’s blood in the water…and where good teams need to go in and take care of business. Today’s matchup slightly favors the Cards and tomorrow’s definitely does. Taking both would be huge. It will depend on whether the bats are more like last night or Thursday. I’ll say they split the difference and win tonight, 7-3.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Great game for us last night. Most everything went right for us. We did do very well only swinging at strikes. That early lead really made a difference. Got so far ahead so fast , we got a blowout. Not fun to be on the other side of one of those. Congrats Cardinals!
    Got to focus again tonight. Mikolas has been good lately, just pretend hes back at home. Got some road wins now and looking much more confident. Keep the bats going. We should have the edge in pitching. Don’t get lax tonight. Go Cardinals!

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

It’s been an amazing division race this season, like 2015 with lower win totals.

It’s entertaining for sure.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If Mikolas can channel back to 2018 during the stretch run, we can win this thing. Goldschmidt has picked up the pace over the second half, although he has regressed a bit as of late, but he’s doing his ‘64 Bill White impersonation pretty well.

Those are the two big culprits, along with Carpenter, in our first half woes. Carpenter still has not gotten it together. I am not ready to put him in the Allen Craig/Garrett Atkins group of players who hit like crazy, then seemingly overnight lose it.

In reading about Lou Gehrig, he had that fear during his career. No matter how good he was, he had this nagging thought that he would go to work one day and just not be able to hit. It took a cruel twist of nature to bring him down.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have to be stinging today. Two walk-offs against them on consecutive nights. Last night, the CHC went ahead 2-1 in the eighth and then walked home the tying run which was followed by a seeing eye single to win it for PIT. That must really smart.

To make it worse they must have been looking at the out-of-town scoreboard and seeing the Cards putting up crooked numbers. Good for them.

Da Cubs ain’t that good.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’ll be watching the Cubs/Pirates this afternoon. I’ll be having a center cut rib chop, corn otc, green beans, and a chocolate milkshake in my brand spanking new Hamilton Beach drink mixer. Then a cigar while I watch the game this afternoon.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Let’s see it was the end of May and this place reeked of negativity. Now the Cards are at the top of NLC and I’m surprised there’s less “positivity” than would be expected. First place, guys. Join in the fun, its going to be a great 6 weeks of baseball ahead of us. Whoop it up.

Last night was not a normal Cardinal performance: Fowler-Goldschmidt-Ozuna-Edman and Wong = 15 hits. Things are happening and starting to looking up. Memories of the powerhouse days.

Somehow the Cards will win this thing… let the Cubs and Brewers battle it out for a play-off spot.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Always try to be positive…negativity is a disease.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The boys played an acceptable game last
    night. Gotta love Edman’s 3 hits. The guy is a gamer and a player. If Bader can ever locate his bat, just imagine those two roadrunners together both in the field and on the base paths. DeSlafani will get his fair share of punchouts tonight(probably double digits), but he’ll also yield some fast ones right down Broadway that hopefully we’ll take advantage of. This game is a super tough one to predict. My documented 88% success ratio is in definite jeopardy of taking a hit tonight, but what the heck, let’s give her a whirl. I’m calling this one 6-4 Birds with Edman launching a deep one and DeSlafani banging a ringing rbi double down into the left field corner.
    What’s for din-din you may ask? It’s much too early, I have no idea what the wifey has on tap for tonight. The fortune teller in me sees……the Esteemed Rat gorging on corn on the cob, barbeque beef, red skinned potatoes ala Denver, Mr. Dew, 3 Klondike bars and a nice slice of his Amish restaurant’s George Washington cherry pie.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have given us some gifts this week. We gladly accept them and hopefully will capitalize on all of them, however, we all know the gifts will end when they get back to Wrigley next week for six games. I assume they will go at least 5-1 on their home stand so we need to maintain as much cushion as possible.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mike Shildt has 5 LH hitters in the line-up for obvious reasons.
    Fowler CF
    Edman RF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Ozuna LF
    Weiters
    Wong 2B
    Carpenter 3B
    Munoz SS
    Mikolas P
    Excellent line-up!

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wieters, not Weiters…I can’t type well.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have rather had Edman playing for Dejong and not Munoz while giving Thomas or Arozarena a start. But I guess we will see how the team does tonight. I suspect they will have a solid night with the bats, but the defense may suffer.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I might prefer that as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs get the win today. Rowan Wick got the save. He is now their best reliever with Kimbrel still on the IL.

We need to win tonight to maintain our one game lead.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I give the hell up trying to understand Shildt’s lineups.

You want Edman in the lineup and DeJong out, it seems like a no-brainer that Edman would be the SS. He’s a much better infielder than Munoz. And Munoz isn’t even left handed so having him in the lineup over Thomas and Arozarena seems like a cruel joke. Hell just send them back to Memphis already and bring back Ravelo and Sosa if you’re not gonna play your two outfielders.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Happy to see Randy A and Thomas on the big club, they both deserved it, but I’d really love to see them play!

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If Bader can ever locate his bat…

Bader is having a resurgence in Memphis. Hoping it will translate again at the MLB level.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Edman should be playing SS.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mike Shildt doesn’t agree…He wins.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mike Shildt doesn’t agree…He wins.

I don’t care if he agrees. Its stupid.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

They got a HR on second pitch. Mikolas rebounds ok. We spotted em one run. Hope we won’t need it back. Munoz is at ss for his defense.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Schildt is matheny with a bullpen that performs

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is that good or bad? I like both.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years