St. Louis 2026 Game #160 thread – Friday, Sept. 25 at Milwaukee Brewers

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › St. Louis 2026 Game #160 thread – Friday, Sept. 25 at Milwaukee Brewers

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #319640
    858booyah
    Participant

    Free

    ATM condolences. Lost my father in 2024. He was a Cubs fan. So I’m glad the sins of the father didn’t grt passed on.

    #319641
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

    Free

    Well, on a good note……

    Front Row Amy is in attendance at tonight’s Cards/Brewers game from County Stadium.

    That always makes for a good game.

    #319642
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    So, in thinking about th Cardinals right now; they have a few good young players but so does every team.

    There’s just not quite enough of anything – not enough hitting, not enough starting pitching, but enough relief pitching, and some holes in the defense. The Cardinals are not horrible anywhere but they aren’t really good anywhere either.

    I wonder if they will make any moves to add a few pieces to go with what the minor league pipeline spits out and try to be good next year or if they’ll let next year be another building year?

    I could see them choosing either path.

    I will expect them to at least make the playoffs next season – may be yet another real short stay but I do expect them to get in.

    #319643
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

    Free

    And Fenton Walker homers and then Burleson homers!

    4-4 in the 8th inning now!

    #319644
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Walker homers

    It helps to shame them sometimes. But good for him!

    #319646
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Wheels coming off in the 8th.

    #319648
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

    Free

    8-4 Brewers the final.

    DBacks pounding the Padres.

    Doyers and Skubal win 2-0 over the Giants.

    Phillies lost again.

    I just don’t want the Cubs to have home field advantage in the wild card round.

    #319649
    stlcard25
    Participant

    Good to see Walker get off the schneid. It would be nice to see him get to 30 HRs for the year, even if his end of season has been very rough. And Burleson is just a righty killer.

    Speaking of killers, the bullpen finds a way to lose it again. There’s a fair chance that the Cards would be preparing for October baseball if they had an above average bullpen. It’s been brutal out there this year. I don’t think anyone in the pen has really earned themselves a certain job next year.

    #319650
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I don’t think anyone in the pen has really earned themselves a certain job next year

    Probably true, stlcard25, but I think it’s pretty safe to say that the Killer G’s (Graceffo & Gassy) will be pen-pals for the Redbirds in ’27. And O’Brien and his team friendly contract won’t be going anywhere. Both Hjerpe and Winquest have shown flashes….very short flashes albeit…..of brilliance, so they are bulloen possibilities. Our bullpen woos this year certainly comes as no huge surprise, as for a team in total rebuild, the bullpen is the very last thing that a team addresses.

    #319651
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

    Free

    Some folks here seem to like the current pen. I watch it work with underwhelming enthusiasm. I hope the Cardinal braintrust doesn’t just wait to see what emerges from down below but gets out there during this off-season and make something happen.

    #319652
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    ZTR said:

    I will expect them to at least make the playoffs next season – may be yet another real short stay but I do expect them to get in.

    The word “expect” in relation to 2027 feels strong to me. Going by 2026, it is taking 87-88 wins to get the last wild card. Ten wins of improvement would be a lot YTY. Not impossible, but not expected from me.

    #319654
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    You can’t just hire relievers who were good last year and count on your pen being better. Relievers are notoriously unpredictable from year to year. They also seem to have a short shelf life. There are outliers but you don’t know who that is going to be.

    “Unpredictable” also goes both ways. A pitcher who excelled in AAA may not break into the bigs looking like a rock star, but nothing says he won’t be next year. IMO, the killer is: A )when you don’t have anybody else to try. That is mostly where we were this year. or B) when the underperformer has a contract so you are stuck with him. We don’t want to be there.

    #319657
    Jedi34
    Participant

    Free

    ATM… Sorry for your loss ans sorry that I’m late to the game on this
    I lost my brother 20 years ago. Please take some comfort in my experience. I’ve thought of him every day. Somewhere along the way, those sad, heart wrenching thoughts began to turn to happy ones. It didn’t happen right away but it DID happen. I still think of him every day, but the thoughtss bring me joy. Whether it’s an inside joke we shared, something that we did together or seeing him in his daughter. Not to get religious on you, but the thought/hope that we’ll be together again gives me hope.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years