Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › St. Louis 2026 Game #146 thread –Tuesday, Sept. 8 at San Francisco Giants
- This topic has 45 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by
Ratsbuddy.
-
AuthorPosts
-
September 6, 2026 at 6:27 pm #318266
8:45 p.m.
LHP Quinn Mathews (1-2, 4.38) vs. RHP Landon Roupp (8-13, 4.17)
Cards.TV // KMOXSeptember 8, 2026 at 9:27 am #318434We now have 7 players from the ‘22 draft that have made the big league club: Scott, Church, Crooks, Mautz, Rajcic, Winquest , and Hjerpe. That’s a pretty incredible number.
In general, our even year drafts have been far superior to our odd year drafts. 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, and now 2022 have all been good to excellent drafts. For the odd years, 2015 was very good, but 2017 was about as poor as you can get. 2019 was mostly a bust. 2021 has some promise with McGreevey, Graceffo, and Baez but we shall see how that plays out. Mathews is the first player to be called up from 2023.
September 8, 2026 at 10:38 am #318435A great game last night for a baseball fan. Bummer that our club lost but a good one.
You know, the ghost runner rule does not bother me at all. I actually think it is a good way to go. For one, very few people want to sit through a 4 hour-or-more game. Second, the way they burn through pitchers in the modern era, you just can’t have too many innings. Third, it provides instant drama.
One option that might be kind of cool is to play it straight in inning 10, then go with a runner on first in inning 11, a runner at second in the 12th, and a runner at third in inning 13 and beyond if you go that far.
Anyway, as for our club, I like these young guys. Bernal looks good – passes the eye test. Also I like Saggese at short. Seems to handle it well and has a good arm. He also looks good at the plate – a pretty quick bat.
Walker looked lost early, but seemed to adjust during the game and kept his focus.
McGreevy’s command was bad early, but he adjusted to the mound and gave us a shot at a win.
Devers is a beast! Everything that guy hit was a rocket. I also like that kid Turner Hill – and Elbridge. If they can develop some guys and get Chapman back up to speed they have someone to build around on offense.
I have a ball park tour at 12:30 today, the game later, and back home tomorrow.
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by
bicyclemike.
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by
bicyclemike.
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by
bicyclemike.
September 8, 2026 at 12:08 pm #318439With Misiorowski dealing against the cubbies tonight, I’m contemplating going to the game. But first I must await Rat’s forecast for the greater San Francisco metropolitan area for tonight’s Cards game. You know, I recently received an email asking me why I put such a high value on Rat’s weather forecast. And the reason is simple…..what separates Rat from all of these so called “expert” meteorologists is his ability to interpret Doppler radar and his uncanny knack of accurately tracking where these storm systems move. Anyway, hopefully the Crew will take down the cubbies again tonight. The Brewers are dead last in team home runs, while the cubbies are #1 in this department. And yet The Crew is running away with the division. Something one may see from a Whitey Herzog managed team.
And the more I see of Leonardo Abdiel Bernal, the more I think that our heir apparent to Yadi is finally here. Let’s keep the playoff dream a simmering by taking these next 2 games in Frisco……..winning 6-9 on a west coast trip would be pretty darn sweet, especially when the Dodgers were part of this equation.
September 8, 2026 at 12:27 pm #318440the ghost runner rule does not bother me at all
Some people think the short attention span crowd would prefer the ghost runner every inning the whole game. I think they probably would.
September 8, 2026 at 12:52 pm #318446I hate the ghost runner.
I like the pitch clock.
I didn’t think I would but I’ve grown to love the electronic umpire. In fact I think we should use it for all ball/strike calls and leave it to the umpires to deal with all the rest – putouts, balks, half swings, etc.
I think baseball should ban all tightening of gloves during an at bat.
September 8, 2026 at 1:33 pm #318447I think baseball should ban all tightening of gloves during an at bat.
I would just ban batting gloves along with ankle length pants knee down catchers and pine tar in a spray can.
September 8, 2026 at 1:55 pm #318448I know it wasn’t perfect, but take me back to the ways and rules of baseball in the year 1985. And this certainly goes for collegiate athletics too, which is getting totally ruined with all of these transfer portals and players hopping around from team to team on a yearly basis.
September 8, 2026 at 2:31 pm #318451Pugs?
San Francisco is clear and mild today and tonight. Highs in the low 80s and the lows tonight around 65 to 70. It’s almost a heatwave for this time of year there.
And din-din today is a Philly Cheesesteak from Subway. Lettuce, onions, mayo. green peppers, and some mustard. Plus a few baked beans from the deli at the grocery. Along with a piece of yellow cake with chocolate icing from the deli at Walmart. Along with a big glass of ice water. Tomorrow is my biannual visit with my hot nurse practitioner and I have been drinking a little extra water and jogging a little bit in preparation.
r/Esteemed Rat
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by
Ratsbuddy.
September 8, 2026 at 2:36 pm #318454Although I genuinely abhor the make believe fairy tale baserunner, I kind of like the idea of having him placed at 2B every inning of every game…I mean, if you’re going to do something stupid, why not go all the way with it and throw the entire game off-kilter? In my view, the extra inning baserunner at 2B rule serves one purpose, which is to satisfy the, “I’m not enjoying this silly baseball game so let’s hurry up and get the heck out here” crowd. My suggestion to that sort of mindset would be that if you don’t want to watch baseball played in the manner in which was intended to played, save yourself the price of a ticket for admission and stay home.
September 8, 2026 at 2:49 pm #318455Tomorrow is my biannual visit with my hot nurse practitioner and I have been drinking a little extra water and jogging a bit in preparation.
Besides the usual 12 oz. curls, I bet Rat has also been pumping some serious biceps curls in preparation for this visit. I’m thinking we could be looking at the future Mrs. Rat in the person of his hot little practitioner……if she plays her “cards” right. Hey Rat, thanks for giving us the all-clear meteorologically speaking for tonight’s game. I just may forego the Brewer game tonight to watch our game on the tele.
And what’s for din-din tonight one may ask? If I go to the game it’ll be 2 dogs, one with just onion and mustard and the other with kraut, relish, onion and mustard. I’ll also grab a big ol’ soft pretzel, salted peanuts in the shell and a large Pepsi. And for dessert, I’ll be sneaking swigs from my smuggled in bottle of Wild Turkey. And if I stay home it’ll be a trip on over to Johnny’s Italian Steakhouse.
September 8, 2026 at 6:19 pm #318464The Giants have certainly had some premiere pitchers during my time as a baseball fan with names like Juan, Gaylord and, more recently, Tim and Madison. And, although he doesn’t belong anywhere near to the same sort of category as the aforementioned pitchers, another name always enters my mind when I think of the Giants. He was a perfectly serviceable SP’er who, not only took on a substantial workload, but was also very effective at recording outs and was nowhere near to a bargain when he took his turn in what was then the normal 4 man pitching rotation. I can’t quite place my finger on the precise reason why, but anytime I think of Giant’s pitching, “The Count” immediately comes to mind.
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by
1toughdominican.
September 8, 2026 at 6:29 pm #318466John Joseph Montefusco was a dandy……nice recall, TD!
September 8, 2026 at 6:34 pm #318467I neglected to mention that Christy and Carl were a shade before my time…They were pretty good too.
September 8, 2026 at 6:46 pm #318468Vida Blue and Ray Sadecki were pretty fair Bay area hurlers too…..Vida from both sides of the bay.
September 8, 2026 at 6:47 pm #318469Around a year ago I got a text message saying my Doctor would be out on a family emergency I would be seen by the nurse practitioner. I had seen her once before and was not sorry the situation came about, so I donned my best after hours cologne. But when I arrived she was gone and it was some hairy dude.
September 8, 2026 at 6:57 pm #318470Tough break and a total waste of some perfectly good after hours cologne, Bling. I think I may have done a quick U-Turn and rescheduled the appointment.
September 8, 2026 at 7:01 pm #318471Haha!…”Some hairy dude.”
September 8, 2026 at 7:09 pm #318472Didn’t John Montefusco pitch for the Redbirds at one point?
Or was that John D’Aquisto?
September 8, 2026 at 7:24 pm #318473John Francis D’Aquisto did pitch for the Redbirds the year(1977) you graduated high school, Rat. John Montefusco may have almost signed with the Cardinals near the end of his career, but did not, so that doesn’t “count”.
September 8, 2026 at 7:33 pm #318477Bryan Torres (L) LF
Iván Herrera (R) DH
Alec Burleson (L) 1B
Jordan Walker (R) RF
Leo Bernal (S) C
Nolan Gorman (L) 3B
Thomas Saggese (R) 2B
Masyn Winn (R) SS
Nathan Church (L) CFSeptember 8, 2026 at 7:55 pm #318478I see Get Beat is back in the lineup tonight.
And FYI here,
Get Beat = WinnGet it?
September 8, 2026 at 8:43 pm #318486Homer Vernon Smoot could outright rake!
September 8, 2026 at 8:53 pm #318487Walker is in a funk and desperately needs to get off the proverbial schneid.
September 8, 2026 at 8:59 pm #318488Aldridge with a 2 out opposite field tater to left……1-0 Giants.
-
This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by
-
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
