Spring Training Invites

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring Training Invites

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Bored. So time for some speculation.

Carlson
    Elledge
    Whitney
    Kaminski
    Gorman
    Shrock
    Robertson
    Herrera
    Rodriguez
    Ortega
    Godoy
    Capel
    Ramierez
    Dobzanski
    Ronden
    Jones

That is 16. Not sure what the normal number is. Maybe a couple of the minor league FA’s we signed (our own, such as Gonzalez or Ascanio) who an invite was a condition of their signing

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Doing some research it appears the team usually invites between 20-25.

There certainly will be 2-4 more catchers added. I wonder if the team likes anyone in our lower levels that might be invited for a look (Pages).

I wonder if high profile but lower level pichers such as Thompson or Roberts could get an invite. They may want to give Ovieda a look as well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good discussion topic.

Specifically, going back the last three years, they invited 24, 23 and 27 NRIs.

I’d be surprised if Oviedo is not invited. As a practice, they do not invite first-year draftees to MLB camp, so Thompson and Pages would be a major surprise if included.

Off the top of my head, a name you missed that I would certainly include is John Nogowski.

P.S. Not sure I’d bother bringing Capel in since they have so many outfielders to sort through already.

Who would others like to see?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nogowski was on my original list and not sure how he dropped off so I agree.

I only mention Pages because they need more catchers and not sure I see anyone else worth investing the time in (and I also think it is highly likely that they still sign a AAA minor league FA catcher or Weiters.

I was on the fence about Capel but then I saw that they usually have 5-7 NRI invites and 10-12 total outfielders in camp so even adding him (and Carlson) they would be on the low end of their OF numbers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get your mathematical point about outfielders. However, I see this spring as different in that there are so many open jobs and so many open questions about who will fill them. I wouldn’t want one at-bat to go to Capel that I could instead give to Thomas or Arozarena or O’Neill or Williams or what is that guy’s name – Carlson? Further, if they are really serious about using him out there, Edman could surely benefit from more reps, too.

It is not like the catchers, where eight or nine of them are needed just to catch all of the pitchers.

P.S. In terms of raw numbers, they have eight 40-man outfielders, with Carlson making nine for sure. Depending on how you count Ravelo and Edman, they could have as many as 11 guys out there in the spring already. (Oops. Forgot Munoz. 12.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Warner and Krucinski could be added as well. Perhaps get a look at them as relievers.
    Oviedo should be on the list. Maybe Derian Gonzalez if he is healthy.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mo said they will not have STEP camp so they will increase ST invites to 28-29 players – Heavy on pitchers.

I had forgotten that Istarted this thread. When Mo said 28-29 invites I thought it would be hard to find that many worthy players so I worked on a list today. It seems doable.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was told last weekend the NRI announcement is “imminent”. That seems to be a slight exaggeration.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years