Spring training game #9 – at Atlanta – Sat 3/3

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training game #9 – at Atlanta – Sat 3/3

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Miles Mikolas vs. Julio Teheran. 1:05 p.m. ET first pitch. No TV. KMOX/CRN.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jason Motte, Luke Gregerson, Matt Bowman, and Mike Mayers are scheduled to pitch in relief.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Miles picking off where he left off last game…..crappy

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

When does Mo realize he screwed up with this signing?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

High hopes of some of us are being dashed. Its still early. But at some point you have to ask who scouted Mikolas, and were they sober when they were watching him. Agree that the buck stops with MO, though.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Six up, and six down, including four strikeouts, for Mikolas. MO starting to look like a genius! 🙂

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Wait until MM faces a lineup full of big league hitters. Right now it’s a mixed bag and they are eating him alive. Told you all after game 1 this was a scouting mistake and he was the same guy I remember from his time with Texas. The guy is a 4A player and at the big league level a middle reliever at best.

NJ315
    Participant

ByeBye Mr. Motte

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Braves win 9-2. Cards fall to 3-5-1 on the spring. 4 runs charged to Mikolas over 3 IP. Other 5 against Motte in 1/3 IP. Mayers pitched 2 2/3 scoreless relief. Gyorko 2-for-3 with an RBI double.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez people you guys are sounding like the guys on Cardstalk.Lighten up its still early Spring training.The sky hasn`t fallen yet.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mikolas needs to prove he’s capable of being a MLB pitcher. So far he hasnt shown anything.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Well he did last 3 innings.

A lot of people are beginning to call this Kip Wells 2.0 with an extra year on his deal. Didn’t some scribe somewhere call him rotation insurance more than a rotation piece?

If this guy is going to be a starter on this roster. He’s got to start pitching better because the cardinal nation bullseye is all over management investment into the rotation. He’s showing some of the same issues that some of the starters had the past couple seasons. Early inning trouble giving up runs.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I don’t have a problem with giving mikolas a shot. The upside is worth that kind of investment.

However, I definitely have major problems with ONLY making investments in short term and/or average players…. which has been a definite pattern.

Making one move for the second best outfielder on the Marlins (doesn’t matter if he is still pretty good or not) isn’t going to be good enough. This team needed difference makers, not more average players.

If moves like this (which they do every year) are precluding getting real difference makers then the front office needs to be replaced. And that’s even if mikolas works out (which he very well might).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get that you wanted them to do more, but you are diminishing the importance of Ozuna to the offense. A pitching Ozuna, too, would have been better.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m pretty sure it’s spring training. What are you guys talking about!

TexasCard, you said this earlier:

Mikolas couldn’t throw his off-speed stuff in the zip code of the plate and Houston sat on his average belt high fast ball that he repeatedly threw with very little movement. It was batting practice for their quality hitters.

And Mikolas was touching 95 in this start and the movement was there. Why not give the guy some runway in believing that he may have improved after the last time you saw him pitch 4 years ago in Texas.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A question I meant to ask after signing Mikolas is about precedence. There have been plenty of Japanese hurlers who have made it in MLB, Darvish. Nomo. etc. But I cannot recall any pitcher who went to Japan from MLB, came back to MLB and had success. If that has happened. it has been many years. Particularly a starter.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I’m not downgrading anything. I said three difference making players before the off-season. To be fair, I said this before the asinine move to carry too many pitchers.

Ozuna was good. A true closer would be another. A sp is looking like it would have been the third.

Given the idiocy of having too many people in the bullpen, we needed another hitter as well (because we can’t pinch hit anyway).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 said:

A question I meant to ask after signing Mikolas is about precedence. There have been plenty of Japanese hurlers who have made it in MLB, Darvish. Nomo. etc. But I cannot recall any pitcher who went to Japan from MLB, came back to MLB and had success. If that has happened. it has been many years. Particularly a starter.

Texas’ Colby Lewis is one recent example that comes to mind.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read an interview with Mikolas where he said that in Japan he was getting swings and misses on outside fastballs. Too bad that doesn’t happen here. IMO, this is very bad news for Mikolas and the Cardinals because it means that his pitching strategy isn’t going to work here. Sure hope John Gant continues to have a good spring.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.