Spring training game #6 – at Orioles – Wed 2/28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training game #6 – at Orioles – Wed 2/28

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mendoza got in and out of trouble after two walks in the 8th. Heading into the 9th with a 10-9 Cards lead.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I didn’t give a definite affirmation. I noted it ‘could’ happen. Who knows how the rest of Spring Training shakes out, but so far Munoz has been impressive and should have a shot at making the roster.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. The fact Munoz is already on the 40-man helps. Maybe not so good for Breyvic Valera, though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today’s closer Matt Bowman had a 1-2-3 9th inning, including two hard-hit balls to the OF and a K. Cards had a nice 10-9 comeback win to improve to 3-3 on the spring.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A Garcia, Mejia and Munoz could have great springs and not make the team. Garcia because he is not on the 40 man roster and the other two because Greg Garcia has two solid utilityman seasons in the bank. And we still have to see Schrock. Greg Garcia is going to have to produce in the regular season.

Valera looks headed for a outright from the roster. If they cut him does he have the option to elect free agency?

How many Cardinal players would beat out that grounder that Garcia beat out? Guy has some serious wheels. He has several infield hits last year in the minors that he beat out just like that.

Great catch by Mercado in the 9th. Guy can really cover the ground.

Brebbia looked good but may start in Memphis as well.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Moz was saying to look out for Valera making the team…youd have to think Munoz has an equal shot with same type of skills except he has some power and SS defense

I still want to see more of him at SS before i feel comfortable about our SS defensive depth shoudl DeJOng go south

14NyquisT
    Participant

Nice snowman in the 7th as the Cards roar back convincingly. It was looking kind of gloomy until then and all the pitching hiccups get filed in back of the final score.

Get power off the bat of Munoz.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another option that I had not considered is trading Greg Garcia. He would have some, though not high, value.

Mejia is no longer on the 40-man roster, which seriously hurts his chances.

Valera has never been outrighted before so would have to report to Memphis if he cleared waivers. But he could leave after the season.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Is Jedd in better shape than the younger Munoz? lol

Let’s see where he is in 2 weeks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Forgot to mention one other plus for Garcia – the only left-handed hitter off the bench.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Is anybody else concerned about Carp’s back? I never trust the team or the medical staff when they say it’s not a big deal.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My hope is they take their time and not risk re-injury. The team cannot afford it to turn into this year’s shoulder, which messed up his 2017, yet was not serious enough to require surgery. Come to think of it, I hope the two are unrelated.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gyorko has played one game…Gregerson and Cecil (personal tragedy) have yet to play… we just saw Waino for the first time… i think they have a pretty obvious schedule/plan for easing the veterans into play

If it is 2 weeks from now and we havent seen Carp…i will worry then

Carp’s back doesnt bother me…i am more worried about his shoulder issues returning

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shoulders and backs can be pretty close at times. I have no inside info. Just wondering like everyone else.

NJ315
    Participant

Carp has been fragile the last couple of seasons. He is now 32 things are bound to break more often and take longer to improve.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Josh Donaldson is 32 and people seem to be wanting to jump to move heaven and earth to bring him in…and he had a way more impactful to time lost injury than Carp last year (or even the year before)

Carp’s problems last year seemed to come from an early oblique strain he was dealing with the year previous and then the shoulder issue which plagued him during the year… his AVG went down, but he still had plenty of power and on base skills

I am curious how Carp has been “fragile” lately…

there are 162 games played

2016 he lost time to that oblique injury… but these are his games played since 2013:

2013 157 (only missed 5 games)
    2014 158 (4)
    2015 154 (8)
    2016 129 (33…which isnt really all that bad)
    2017 145 (17)

The last two years have been lower…but it;s not like he has missed so much time to be labeled as “fragile”

Donaldson only played in 113 last year

They arent the same player….and YES as people get older the injuries linger worse…but blowing out of proportion Carp’s injury from TWO years ago (oblique) as if it meant he missed the whole year, or saying last year he was lost isnt accurate… he still produced last year, he was just hampered by his injury last year…and yet he still put up pretty solid numbers…just not numbers we are used to seeing from Carp
    Now is it a coincidence that we missed the last two years of playoff play AND Carp’s big injury happening in that time along with his lowered production last year…i do not think so at all…i think the org wanted CArp to be the answer for a lot the last two years and injury and the playable injury last year really hurt the ideal production of the team… which is why we brought in Ozuna IMO…we couldnt afford to depend on CArp being the frontline hitter …not because he cant be it still, but that we haev been burned by it the last two years

but maybe it is all semantics… nad at the end of the day… it doesnt matter…. he is going to play soon and we will see whether he is effective or not…but he isnt getting traded or replaced because he is so old and fragile…he is still a force at the plate…and had his .241 AVG last year been .275 people woudlnt even be talking about his ineffectiveness…if all a shoulder injury does to Carp is lower his BA then all we need is a little less injured Carp to have that guy we all loved before his oblique injury and shoudler injury tarnished everyone’s perception of him

his back isnt an issue until i see it being an issue…starting late in ST doesnt affect the team at all…again..if he is still out 2 weeks from now or he comes back next week and strikes out every single time or gets a new injury…i will start to worry

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am more down on Carpenter than I used to be. Granted, maybe he can redeem some value this year. The problems are:

1) He plays average defense at first, below average at 3rd, and worse at 2nd.
    2) He is a below average base runner
    3) His career average versus our main rival, the Cubs is horrible, sub .220. Even his great eye at the plate doesn’t get him on base enough.

NJ315
    Participant

It is not the quantity of games he has played. It is the fact whether fatigue, oblique, shoulder, or other he plays hurt or not a 100% more than not during the past two years. He is breaking down.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.