Second Sackers Anyone?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Second Sackers Anyone?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar CariocaCardinal 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good action on catchers and 1b. No on to 2b.

Memphis – Max Schrock, Ramon Urias

Springfield – Andy Young, Luke Dykstra

Palm Beach – Irving Lopez

Peoria – Wood Myers

State College – Nick Dunn

Johnson City – Donivan Williams

GCL Cardinals – Josh Shaw

DSL Cardinals – Ramon Mendoza,

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Sooner! Wong’s play over the past month has made me almost forget about Max “The Rock” Schrock. It’s been quite the turnaround for Kolten…..one I didn’t think I would see. If Wong is indeed going to end up being a mainstay, then I urge the team to grant Mr. Schrock a new lease on life by jettisoning him off to another organization before he ends up wilting away on the vine. He’s going to end up being a nice little 2nd baseman for some lucky team. As for a future 2nd baseman coming down the pike, Nick “The Stick” Dunn looks intriguing…..very intriguing at that.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe Luke Dykstra was let go.

Not a lot to go with here….I’ll say Young, Lopez, Dunn, Schrock, Williams. The other guys I feel are probably just filler.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It should be noted that with Sosa on the MEM roster and playing a great deal of SS, Tommy Edman has been getting starts at 2B. While Wisdom was in STL, Schrock was playing 3B as well as Urias. With so many prospects playing multiple positions its difficult to tag them with one position.

Going with your list: Schrock, Urias, Young, Dunn and ILopez (just for his super ’18 season). But like I said there are others that may wind up at 2B. One of the higher level 2Bs should be available.

Although Schrock ranks highest, he would need to show more versatility to become a utility player in STL. Both Urias and Young(also has played OF). Have the versatility advantage.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I struggled a bit with who to list at 2b because of all of the players who are playing multiple positions. So I decided to list most of them at shortstop since that is a more important position. So at Memphis you have Tovar, Sosa, Urias, Mejia and Edman all of whom can play a solid shortstop and some at a high level.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On Schrock, if he doesn’t show defensive versatility by the time he reaches Triple-A, it may not be coming. His only plus tool was hitting for average and that has departed him this season.

Wong’s emergence and the fact that he is under team control through 2021, makes the future of a second base-only player like Schrock even cloudier.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    PadsFS
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t put Schrock in my personal top 20 list.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW Tovar, Mejia, and I think Urias will be free agents and no room on 40 man. Sosa could be in jeopardy regarding 40 man once Leone and Wainwright are back and off 60 day DL

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not positive on Urias and free agency (I think you are right though) but if so and we cant settle on a minor league FA contract with him I would put him on the 40 man roster in order to keep him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cannot make 40-man decisions in a vacuum. It is not just about protecting Urias – it is also about who does not get protected because he does.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Of course Brian. Then what it really is going to come down to is Mo up to the task of packaging several pieces of our depth for an upgrade somewhere while simultaneously creating roster space.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Schrock will bounced back next year. And Young’s recent power surge makes him intriguing. Cards seem to have a lot of utility guys.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Shrock
    Evan Mendoza
    Urias
    Young
    Ramon Mendoza
    Lopez
    Myers
    Dunn

I added Evan Mendoza to the list because I think with the youngsters coming up behind him that is where he ends up.

Ramon Mendoza from Mexico was considered our top intl signing this year until Nunez signed

I see most of these guys as high floor/low ceiling guys which fits the Cardinal mold prior to Wong

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone have a list of prospects that will be exposed and likely to be plucked?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I assume you are talking rule 5 draft? This is my list and the order I would protect them in.

Helsley
    Urias
    Thomas
    Cabrera
    Shrock
    Fernandez
    Ortega
    Ellis
    Ramirez
    Dobzanski
    Lyons
    Infante
    Meisner

Their are probably a few more but none that are at risk of getting chosen.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

There is a more complete list on the Sept 1st call up.thread.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years