Rules/Save Question

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rules/Save Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ok posters, put your thinking cap on here. And I hope this post works and I don’t get that Error message I usually get. Here goes.

Cards lead the Mets 2-1 in the top of the 8th at Busch. Mets have the bases loaded and two out. Hicks comes on and retires the batter to end the inning. Still 2-1 St. Louis. The Cardinals score eight runs in the last of the 8th and take a 10-1 lead.

So, Hicks pitches the 9th, finishes the game, and the Cards win 10-1.

Does Hicks get a Save?

r/Esteemed Rat

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Yes.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I’ll add another scenario. Suppose Hicks comes into the game just like Rat’s scenario in the 8th. He strikes out the first batter he faces, but the batter reaches base due to a passed ball and a run scores to tie the game 2-2. Hicks strikes out the next batter to end the inning and the score remains 2-2. The Cards then take a 10-2 lead in the bottom of the 8th. Hicks strikes out the side in the 9th, facing just 3 batters, and the Cards win 10-2.

So, Hicks is credited with a ______.

A. blown save
    B. save
    C. win
    D. A & B above
    E. A & C above
    F. B & C above
    G. A, B, & C above

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Think it is A & C. Sometimes the stats are a little funky, but over the course of a season and career, they do a good job of reflecting a player’s value.

The “save” is sort of a funny stat as it is not too hard to get. Sort of like saves in hockey, or XP in football, guys are usually in the 90% area when looking at success vs non-success.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

You are right bicyclemike, it’s E (A & C). In that scenario, Hicks struck out all five batters he faced and got a blown save.

You are also right about what to make of save percentage. We know a .300 batting average is excellent. We know a .900 OPS is great. But what about save percentage? And it only works for “closers” — even if it works for them. What about middle relievers and setup guys? That’s why they came up with the “hold” stat. What about “blown holds” as a stat? Don’t think they track that, so you end up looking at more of the peripherals for those guys.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by EuroWolf EuroWolf.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can also get a save by pitching the last 3 innings when winning by more than 3 runs. Scorer’s discretion I believe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years