Remaining 2022 Free Agents

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Remaining 2022 Free Agents

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s satisfied to be competitive and doesn’t care about winning the big prize.

I think he cares about and wants to field a team every year that has a chance. That is more than can be said for many, perhaps most, owners. Admittedly, not a great chance some years, but usually enough of a chance to keep things interesting most of the season. We Cardinals fans have no experience with what it must be like to be fans of a team that goes into a season with no hope of being anything but a door mat from start to finish. I give the owner credit for that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got any scoop on Pujols? We are less than three weeks away from Opening Day. Seems like he would want to get signed and get into the swing of things.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

BDW, Jr. wants to win as badly as any poster on here. But he also wants to set a budget and stay within it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BDW, Jr. wants to win as badly as any poster on here. But he also wants to set a budget and stay within it.

Which means the budget outstrips the desire to win. I think as owners go, we are blessed to have him. I do wish that he’d go Ilitch once in a while, not just to spend for the sake of spending but to target some high end talent that costs only money for a change. Even a $30M player in 7+ years may not be that outpriced if revenues continue to rise. Perhaps they are all waiting for the bottom to fall out.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

I think DeWitt believes winning would be nice, but being just competitive enough to make as much $ as possible is much more important than winning. If player acquisition cuts into the profit margin it ain’t happening. Remember, Dewitt claimed baseball in not a very profitable business.

I really wish someone in the media would ask him why he isn’t looking to sell if it isn’t profitable. Per Forbes, they came in at #7 last year with a Team Value $2.245B Calculated as of March 2021. Seems to be a nice amount to retire on.

I guess I am tired of all the bologna that comes out of his and Mo’s mouths. DeWitt from a few years ago: We can push the luxury tax level for the right player. Mo and his we have dry powder…

As they be competitive mantra worked last year, they think the Cards are the 17 game winning streak team, when they are probably much closer to the team that played the first 120 games. I really hope I am wrong, but in my opinion, this off season has been BAD.

Maybe Mo can work some trade magic. He seems to be better at that than signing people.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

anybody got any scoop on Pujols?

Nothing since the ridiculous non-rumor ‘rumor’ that a couple clubs have interest, speculated to be Dodgers and Cards. Nobody had to be Nostradamus to come up with that. His last team was paying minimum wage and got their money’s worth.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Trevor Story to the Red Sox. 6 years $140M.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather have DeJong and Sosa at $7M than Story at $23M.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Junior wants to draw 3.4 million and count his money. Being competitive allows him to do that. Sure he wants to win, who doesn’t but he is unwilling to spend the money necessary to do that. You can stay within the limit of a budget or win the WS. You can’t do both. Some fans are happy to have a financially solvent team that has no chance to win the WS…I’m not. Storey just got way and could have been had for a reasonable amount. Another missed chance to improve the team and keep the Cardinal players from watching the World Series on television…again.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Michael Conforto anyone? Gives OF 4 legitimate players, so all can have days ‘off’ as DH. Lefty bat. Would cost a draft pick though.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not comfortable with a Conforto addition, Card4Ever. I believe we will soon have a glut of quality of’ers and will be looking to deal off a couple over the next year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Michael Conforto anyone? Gives OF 4 legitimate players, so all can have days ‘off’ as DH. Lefty bat. Would cost a draft pick though.

I would love to have Conforto, but with him on board that would be 5 OFers plus Yepez, potentially. I don’t see it happening.

One thing I’m not sure of is the draft pick deal. I know they agreed to scrap it if an international draft is agreed upon but I’m not sure if that is already in place for this year or not.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree with Mr. Addams. With Dickerson on board there is no way the Cards go after Conforto.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Cards won’t really do anything when it comes to FA, they like their low hanging fruit and going dumpster diving….

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Sign Tony Watson! Didn’t know he was still out there, above average LH BP arm. He should definitely be in the budget, and likely only a one-year deal, I am shocked that he still a free agent. With the inevitable injuries, having another solid lefty out of the pen would be outstanding.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think it was an excellent off season. We have covered the developmental pitching pieces, so none are being counted to carry a taxing load. On the other hand, three top pitching prospects have legit opportunity to earn a spot.
    Paul Dejong could end up a red jacket guy if he simply plays out his current deal at his career numbers. I would suggest Dejong has the intellect and drive that Story or any other FA shortstop possesses, and he is already ours.
    The thing that wins championships is an interdependent group which overcomes a series of formidable obstacles by pulling as one. Eliminating every obstacle by April has never been an ingredient in the recipe to cook up world series titles.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I don’t think the Cardinals are wanting to sign a 36 year old bullpen arm but I’ve been wrong before. The price would have to be right.

I mean there’s a reason he’s still out there a week after the lockout ended. Either he’s asking for too much or most teams don’t want him.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Right now if Paulie could match his projections on baseball reference you’d take it. That is his ceiling as far as I’ve seen. The floor is what we’ve seen since May 22 of 2019. He has flat out sucked at the plate since around that time. He likes to hit homers amd play defense and that’s all he likes to do.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am fine with what the Cardinals have done but the one player that I would have added is Kyle Schwarber. He is a power DH LH hitting player to compliment the RH power hitter that we have.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

CBS Sports grade D

I agree…

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

D is correct

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d give them st least a C. I like the Matz signing. I’m okay with Dickerson for one year.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You offer a low grade because they constructed a roster with very few holes?
    I guess we should block all prospects with MLB outcasts, so your expert grading systems can remain unchallenged.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In his weekly chat yesterday, Derrick Goold very eloquently explained why the Dodgers are the way they are. He does a much better job than what I have tried to do the last few years. He says that yes the Dodgers spend a lot of money but if you think that is why they are good every year then you are missing the boat, which is what I have been trying to say. I started this discussion trying to pay Mo a compliment by comparing him to Friedman but it then morphed into a discussion of payroll only. It is about more than payroll.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Question: Why are the Dodgers able to draft lower in the draft every year like the Cardinals yet maintain such a strong farm system that produces high quality talent? Is it just a matter of them having more money to spend on everything (scouting, development) than teams like the Cardinals or are they just better at what they do?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.