Remaining 2022 Free Agents

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Remaining 2022 Free Agents

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s the latest on Freddie Freeman? Anybody got any inside scoop on him? Dodgers? Red Sox? Padres?

And last night on the MLB Network they were saying the Rockies are after Kris Bryant.

From everything I have read the leaders for Freeman are the Dodgers, Padres, Red Sox and Rays.

I have heard the chatter on Bryant and the Rockies also. I think the Phillies were in on him at one time but I don’t know if they still are since they signed Schwarber.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Are the bad contracts that Mozeliak got us into still hamstringing getting top free agent? There are definite needs that need to be addressed.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Kris Bryant to the Rockies. 7 years, $182M.

He might have some big years out there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Freddie Freeman signs with the Dodgers. 6 years $162M.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Matthew Boyd to the Giants for only 2.3M. That might end up being the best value signing this off-season.
    I had completely forgotten he was a FA. I was clamoring on here for them to trade for him in 2019.
    At this point, trading for Manaea is my preference. Only one year of control, so he shouldn’t cost the farm, they would have a quality starter and it gives them a year to figure out what they have going into 2023. Outside of Matz, there isn’t a single starter who doesn’t have injury/age/control question marks in my opinion.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers have the top 3 NL MVP candidates, all of whom came from other teams. Betts, Freeman and Turner. They have some deeeeeep pockets, just like the Cards…. NOT!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers can outspend the Cards on every level…from scouting to development to front office staff to major league assets. It’s good to be the king. That said, the Cards should be more aggressive at this point. Trade for Manaea, sign Conforto, both…something.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers still only have two big long term contracts (Betts and Freeman). They may spend a lot but they don’t box themselves in. They have tons of payroll coming off the books after this year and that is not even counting the Bauer situation where they might be able to get out of that if he is suspended by MLB. Plus, the Dodgers aren’t the top dog anymore with Cohen and the Mets going crazy. Cohen has already said that he thinks the Mets will zoom past the $290M tax threshold.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I love stlcard25’s idea, Manaea will be around $10, Conforto for 3/45? I wouldn’t hate Happ coming back for innings either. Dakota, Mikolas and even Waino aren’t even close to guarantees for 125 innings….
    Flaherty’s interview didn’t sound in anyway positive, my feelings on that situation, the glass isn’t half empty, it’s 95% empty.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would bring back both Happ and LeBlanc for depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not a huge fan of Spotrac, as they can be inconsistent, but here are the payrolls they list as of now.

#1 Mets $249MM
    #2 Yankees $241MM
    #3 Dodgers $231MM

#4 Padres $190MM

#12 Cardinals $141MM

As far as projections for next season, who cares? The Dodgers will just go out and get more players between now and then to fill needs. Since this time last year, they added Max and Trea and Freeman and …

It isn’t like they are going to go cheap all of a sudden. They are in a different league from the Cardinals and it isn’t even close. To be exact, $90MM difference right now. And it is very likely to stay that way.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well for the one millionth time I will repeat that I never said that the Cardinals spend as much as the Dodgers on an annual basis. I don’t know why you bring it up every time they sign someone.

What I said is that both organizations are similar in a belief of building from within and avoiding too many long term contracts. I still believe that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My bottom line is how much teams win – along with how much they spend to do it and how they spend it. Both of these teams are consistent winners, but the Dodgers have a different formula to get there – and create higher expectations to go with it. Signing Freeman is another reminder of that (and his $ numbers are not yet reflected in Spotrac).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the homegrown point, I looked at the Dodgers roster. Including Freeman, they have 11 players making more than $10MM this season. Here is the breakdown of how they were acquired:

Free agents 5
    Trades 4
    Homegrown 2

Of course, they could have used homegrown players in trades, but the vast majority of their front liners came from outside the organization.

I have great respect for the Dodgers. We are just going to have to agree to disagree in that I feel the similarities are far less significant than the differences. When the Dodgers have a need, they spend to fill it. The Cardinals generally don’t. But both find ways to win.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

LeBlanc, Happ and Conforto. They would help.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be more complete, here is the Cardinals’ comparable profile:

If you use the same $10 MM clip, the Cards have five players:

Free agents 1
    Trades 2
    Homegrown 2

If you drop to $6MM (because their total payroll is proportionally lower), the list grows to seven, but the mix is similar:

FA 2
    Trades 2
    Homegrown 3

Just sharing data…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I guess big questions is where is their payroll right now compared to last year?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t seen 2022 numbers but in 2021 the Dodgers were ranked first in homegrown talent, at least by one publication.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2929266-ranking-all-30-mlb-teams-on-homegrown-talent-entering-2021-season

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that the Dodgers spend heavier than the Cardinals when a need arises. I have never disputed that but it is also true that they build a very firm foundation by having an elite farm system instead of just building their team by writing checks, which is the stereotype.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To Onyx’s question, Spotrac has the Cards at $141 now vs. $171 last year.

I haven’t seen the annual breakdown of Freeman’s deal, but it averages $27MM per year. That would take the Dodgers to $258 this year ($231 noted above plus $27) vs. $266 last year, using Spotrac numbers.

Arbitration could change these as would roster changes still ahead.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Hearing Rumblings we got our LH bat we dreamed of. Welcome Corey!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

well there’s the expected LH hitter

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Wow 30mil difference in the difference in total salaries between last year and this, not sure that is acceptable at all….but still some good FA’s out there if they actually go after them!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.