Prospects

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Greenwald
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In prior years, it was a daily off-season treat that one could count on, the daily analysis of a prospect’s prospects. This year, however, when we are most in need of off-season baseball news, what was once a daily event has become increasingly sporadic and now seems to be reduced to a trickle. What gives?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In past years, the entire list would have been completed by the end of the year and the trickle would be a dry bed. I’m guessing the hope to cover the time until the lockout ends has something to do with it.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This sight provides treats everyday. I am thankful for Brian’s work, and we can simply use our cravings to magnify our thankfulness for what this staff provides.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We still are publishing new, original Cardinals content here at TCN every single day – and that should continue without interruption. Who else is doing that during this period?

Unable to accurately predict when the lockout will end, I can’t push all the content out at once. There is no Winter Warm-Up, trades, signings, etc. as usual. As a result, the rate of the prospect rollout is slower than usual. With all the uncertainty, I did not publish advance dates for each prospect article. This just isn’t a normal offseason.

I hope you understand.

Michael Greenwald
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand completely, Brian. I guess I’m just spoiled enough to miss the usual schedule. While I’m on the subject, I think your chief evaluator ought to somewhere provide the scale on which he is basing his judgments. If, for example, a player has a present hit tool of 30 with a possible future upgrade to 50, are these grades based on the usual perfect grade of 80 or upon something lower? This ought to be made clear. If the 80 scale is being used, it seems that most of these prospects are falling well short. One can’t expect 80s, but there are woefully few 70s or even 60s. I hope the grades are higher as we reach the very best projects.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get it completely. I miss the regular schedule too. It got down to either sticking with it and have days later with no new content or keep with the daily new article cadence. Not knowing how long the lockout will be, I chose the latter. But nothing with current news value will be held back.

Yes, the standard 20-80 scale is used. That is explained in the anchor article for the series (see link below). But the thought about explaining how future improvement can be made is a good one that I will pass on to Jake.

This is a personal preference, but I like a slightly more pessimistic assessment, especially on the guys who aren’t yet in the top 10 or 20. And down the line, I don’t mind improving their future outlook – when they show they deserve it. I really try hard to avoid hopping on the hype train for players. In the past, when I first took on making these future assessments, I found that I made far too many “above average” – and that wasn’t realistic. So my focus has evolved to be more what I think the player WILL be, rather than his best possible outcome COULD be if everything goes perfectly in his development.

50 Days, 50 Nights, 50 St. Louis Cardinals Prospects for 2022

Michael Greenwald
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points, Brian. Thanks for clarifying.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow…..looks like we’ve got quite the new poster. Welcome Michael. When I saw your name, it took me back to my childhood days in Whitefish Bay. There was this kid named Bobby Greenfield, who in the 8th grade had a bowling average of like 170. As a young adult I frequently checked the names of the professionals, as I was sure he was going to make it, which he never did. As a quick aside, Bobby Greenfield’s uncle was Shecky Greene from Johnny Carson days……or as he called him, “Uncle Sheck”. Ok, back on topic. Brian nicely lends us some latitude to stray a bit during the off season, Michael. But when that first pitch is thrown to commence the regular season, that latitude all but evaporates.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Welcome to the club MG! Hope to see more of your contributions as we ease in to 2022.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Looking into the future of our prospects. This article takes a shot what prospects will be added to the 40-man roster in 2022. Its a fairly good analysis on the status of individual players.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2022/2/14/22932041/looking-at-players-who-will-need-to-be-added-to-40-man-roster

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN has an article on hold predictions for some of the top 100 prospects. Their prediction for Nolan Gorman is 30 homers in St Louis this year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33296654/bold-2022-predictions-mlb-top-prospects

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure he is a prospect, but I like Bosiokovic. He improved greatly from the start of last year to the end. He doesn’t have a lot of mileage on his arm since he is a converted position player. He throws mid 90s with a nice breaking pitch. He might be a good middle relief option.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see if Willis and Hence are assigned to Palm Beach or the FCL? It would seem Willis is likely bound for the FCL, but all reports on him stated he was very advanced for a high schooler.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.