Proposed New MLB playoff format

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Proposed New MLB playoff format

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You just cry to cry. Buy some tissues and put the computer away.

This is a message board. We all have opinions. Expressing yourself in the most dogmatic way possible doesn’t seem like the best approach to me but suit yourself. Instead of coming across as the smartest person in the room you instead just come across as a jerk.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If you think more fans won’t become casual fans with expanded postseason I have ocean front property in South Dakota for sell and it has your name written all over it. There will absolutely be less interests in game-to-game viewership simply because not every game is important. And I’m not just talking about TV viewership but stadium attendance.

Participant

Free

Something about a pot and kettle, Scott.

BHC, like I’ve said, people say that every single time a league expands playoffs, and they have always been wrong. You can keep your property, though.

Participant

Free

BHC, like I’ve said, people say that every single time a league expands playoffs, and they have always been wrong

Other leagues also don’t play 162 games.

Participant

Free

Funny, a league with a 162 game season has expanded the playoffs more times than any other league I know of in the last couple of decades. Are they making less money now?

Participant

Free

And I’ve heard the “it will cheapen the regular season” argument in every sport every time an expansion of playoffs happens. It never does.

To me it has. I can’t tell you the last time I watched a regular season NBA game because it doesn’t matter who wins. I will watch the NBA playoffs though.
    I am sure I will still watch a lot of regular season MLB games because I love baseball but I still feel that the regular season will have been cheapened.

——————————

I share your regular season ennui, GScott. I don’t watch either of the NHL or NBA regular seasons, with rare exception. I just check the standings now and then.

If I’m Bill DeWitt, and I know I can pocket an “extra” 30 or 40 or 50 million bucks and still make the playoffs by winning 84, 85 games — and that I gain effectively nothing by winning my division, not even avoiding the idiotic one-game play-in — then why would I even try to win much more than those 84 or 85 games?

I want to watch very good baseball, for six months, every year. This format would significantly de-incentivize Redbird owners, and all other owners, from trying to provide that quality of baseball. This isn’t a matter of greed per se; it would only be rational of them to pocket the tens of millions, and settle for the October crapshoot.

But lastly, just on general principle, I don’t want crap teams in the playoffs — in any sport. And until now baseball has pretty much managed to avoid that. With this new format, they would be embracing the crap.

————————————–

If Manfred needs more revenue, just expand the current wildcard to best-of-three. But incentivize
    winning the division by “punishing” the wildcard participants with a doubleheader on the Monday
    immediately following the regular season. This way, roster depth, esp. pitching depth, is rewarded in
    October, just like it should be. Plus, the lesser wildcard team has to play all three on the road.

And if Manfred wants more interest, more excitement for the fans, then deaden the baseball back to
    normalcy so we get more doubles & triples, and fewer homers. Doubles & triples are fun! Fielders run
    hard and make strong throws! Batters break fast from the batter’s box, and fans stand up to see the action! What happens on a homer? Nothing. People stand still, or walk, or trot, or flip a bat. Ho hum.

Participant

Free

Funny, a league with a 162 game season has expanded the playoffs more times than any other league I know of in the last couple of decades. Are they making less money now?

What’s your point? No one is arguing about MLB’s revenue which you pulled out of the air to make a pointless argument that no one was arguing.

Participant

Free

BHC, you are saying that viewership will go down on TV and ticket sales will suffer… but you aren’t talking about revenues?

Participant

Free

This format would significantly de-incentivize Redbird owners, and all other owners, from trying to provide that quality of baseball.

And this one team will tip the scales “significantly” more than the adding of twp teams in ’94? And “significantly” more than the other two teams added this decade?

It’s the end of owners even trying! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! (Again. Again. And again.)

You could just ignore the extra team, like you did amphetamines.

Participant

Free

BHC, you are saying that viewership will go down on TV and ticket sales will suffer… but you aren’t talking about revenues?

Yes and no. MLB will find other ways to increase revenue, like probably expanding the playoffs even more, shortened offseason, team expansion, etc.

Participant

Free

And this one team will tip the scales “significantly” more than the adding of twp teams in ’94? And “significantly” more than the other two teams added this decade?

It’s the end of owners even trying! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! (Again. Again. And again.)

You could just ignore the extra team, like you did amphetamines.

Considering that adding two more teams gives a significant chance of a team with a losing record making the playoffs yes it does tip the scale SIGNIFICANTLY more than it did in 1995 and 2012. You’re pompous arrogance and dogmatic arguments are not amusing.

Participant

Free

you could easily argue that expanded playoffs have hurt basketball far as the product on the court. it hasn’t hurt football but football is where baseball was before tvs became common so doesn’t really apply. but you could argue that the product on the field is worse. the glory days of baseball aren’t coming back so instead of copying others, how bout baseball be original and delight in its traditions and love the fans they have, not the ones they aren’t ever gonna have.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC said:

Considering that adding two more teams gives a significant chance of a team with a losing record making the playoffs…

The actual data presented on page 2 of this thread indicates that had the extra wild card been in place the last 19 years, just four of the 38 extra wild card teams would have had a losing record. That is not very significant to me.

Participant

Free

“Considering that adding two more teams gives a significant chance of a team with a losing record making the playoffs…”

The actual data presented on page 2 of this thread indicates that had the extra wild card been in place the last 19 years, just four of the 38 extra wild card teams would have had a losing record. That is not very significant to me.

————————————

That’s a fair rebuttal, Brian. However, I would say that 4 is 4 too many for sure, especially if one of them is the Cubs. One of them wasn’t the Cubs, was it? We don’t need the Cubs in the playoffs any more than necessary — I’m sure we can all agree upon that.

Meager levity attempts aside, I look at it this way. I only want “good teams” to make the playoffs, in any sport. The playoffs are a reward for playing well, is partly how I look at the postseason. And I know this is absolutely subjective, but as far as MLB is concerned I define a good team as one that finishes at least 10 games over .500. (A “very good” team is 20 over, and a “great” team would be 30 over.)

And by those standards I saw roughly 30 “non-good” teams making the playoffs from 2000-2019 per that chart on page 2 of this thread. Call me Killjoy, but that’s not how I prefer the playoffs to go.

Here’s a thought. Everyone who was asking for expanded MLB playoffs a week ago, raise your hand. That’s what I thought. Nobody was asking for this.

Now, some people will reject anything new, because they are highly uncomfortable with change. Which is why it’s generally constructive to flesh out one’s views civilly with those of differing opinions. (At least it used to be, before the internet debased dialogues so severely. Stupid internet.)

But a certain substantial percentage of people will embrace whatever is new, for one of two reasons.
    (1) To be argumentative toward people they dislike, regardless of the merits of the new thing.
    (2) Because they believe that whatever is newer is intrinsically better than status quo.

So far, both at this website and in the national discourse, I’ve seen plenty of stubborn codgers like myself resisting change — but unfortunately I’ve seen many more who suffer from afflictions (1) and (2).

Participant

Free

Bob, as the guy who has gone out of his way to avoid acknowledging when you were totally wrong, I’d be careful casting aspersions.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

So the bye teams could possibly not play again until day six, the start of their divisional series. That’s a long wait.

Participant

Free

“So the bye teams could possibly not play again until day six, the start of their divisional series. That’s a long wait.”

An astute observation, jj. And one that no one in the national media seems to be making, at least not very vociferously.

Under the proposed changes, the Big Reward of having the best record in your league and thus getting a bye and several days off, may not be much of a reward at all. If you have the best record in your league, you are probably a few games clear of the field — so you can already set the rotation for October without any days off at all, or perhaps two or three days at the very most. It’s a thin line between rested and rusted.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

All of this stupid crap is going to turn our beloved pastime into another WWF Raw.

Geez people, lets get real.

r/Esteemed Rat

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

Adding Teams to the postseason does nothing to improve the game. Nothing. Feeds some very full pockets.That is all. Need a Baseball guy running Baseball. Not the Owners lawyer. MLB keeps taking hits with every rules change. Go get him outta there now.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, thanks for sharing links. Now how about adding a sentence or two that tell us what the articles are about so we can decide whether or not to read them. Just a suggestion…

Participant

Free

Why is it every offseason Manfred comes up with proposed rule changes, etc? Is baseball in such a sad state of affairs that we have to keep tweaking things?

Participant

Free

Why is it every offseason Manfred comes up with proposed rule changes, etc? Is baseball in such a sad state of affairs that we have to keep tweaking things?

The owners are scared to death at the demographics of the fans, and they, for some reason, think “pace of play” is going to entice more young fans.

The fear of their fans aging out probably influences the playoffs money grab, too.

I agree that it does seem like they’ve been doing a ton of changes lately.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Manfred is turning out to be one of the worst commissioners ever. He is a joke. Should have stuck with bean counting.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years