Proposed New MLB playoff format

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Proposed New MLB playoff format

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Original article

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Using the 2019 NL as an example:

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

First impression of MLB’s motivation is more revenue from the playoff selection show and having many more playoff games. The players should buy in as long as they get their share of the bigger pie.

Participant

Free

I’m sure Mr. Dewitt would be happy about this.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Dear Lord in Heaven,
    Who is the absolute idiot at MLB headquarters that is coming up with all this ridiculous crazy stuff that could ruin the game? First putting a runner on at 2nd in the 11th inning was talked about. Then a pitcher pitching to three batters is here. And now this crazy idea.

Is it Manfred that is the buffoon here?

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not a Manfred apologist – in fact, far from it. On the other hand, we don’t know yet from where this idea originated. For example, the minor league contraction plan started with Luhnow in Houston. All the owners agreed and then Manfred was told to make it happen.

Manfred doesn’t stray far from what the majority of the owners want – or they would replace him. Commissioners have been fired in the past for thinking too independently.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’m sure Mr. Dewitt would be happy about this.

Also puts more pressure on PBO/GM/manager to make the playoffs, i.e., less forgiving expectations.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not sure I like such a big advantage going to the team with the best record since not all divisions are equal and schedules are so heavily division-weighted. What if the top winner is from a weak division and noses out the team with the second highest wins by one game, but loses the head-to-head season series 5-2?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro asked:

What if the top winner is from a weak division and noses out the team with the second highest wins by one game, but loses the head-to-head season series 5-2?

As I interpret it, the head to head record is only to break ties and this would not be a tie.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Much more information is going to be trickling out. This suggests the regular season could also be changed. My guess is shortened, maybe to 154 games, to accommodate the expanded playoffs.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goodness, how about we water things down some more? I already hate having 5 teams from each league. In what world would two more teams be worthy of a shot at a title after 150+ games??

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

As I interpret it, the head to head record is only to break ties and this would not be a tie.

Brian, I must not have been clear on my point. I understand your statement that I quoted above. What I was offering with my comment was reasoning why I don’t like giving the team with best record such a big advantage. Just because they have best record doesn’t mean they should be #1 seed, especially considering the huge advantage it brings.

The article talked about comparing the playoff selection show for TV to the NCAA March madness tournament selection show as a way to generate interest. Another comparison to NCAA BB is a team like Duke or Kentucky, with a 32-2 record would not be seeded behind a team, say like Ball State, who has a 33-1 record. Strength of schedule and head-to-head enters into it.

I realize that makes it more difficult, but again, the #1 seed is such a big advantage. At least the new format gets rid of the possibly of the second best team in the league being eliminated in one game because another wild card team has one dominant pitcher.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In 2019, every team but the Cubs with a positive run differential would have made the playoffs under the new format. Is that really the standard for World Series worthiness? Blech.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

In 2019, every team but the Cubs with a positive run differential would have made the playoffs under the new format.

I think this would also impact how rosters are constructed. As we know, a roster that optimizes success over a 162-game season isn’t the same as one that maximizes the chance for a playoff run ending in a World Series victory.

Participant

Free

this is such a stupid ideal. we already reward too many teams a playoff spot. it should still be like it was when we just had an east and west bracket in each league. 4 teams, all we need. trying to do all this to chase fans that aren’t going to watch anyway. if we are pitching stupid ideas, how about this. we play an 80 game season. then after it, we have this big tournament like the ncaa basketball tournament. except in this case, all teams make it. everyone gets seeded which would require a show. you would play at set sites like they do in basketball. but you would play a best of three. we could do a one game thing I guess but then our season would be a little longer. to me baseball is a best of something so just one game doesn’t really get it for me. then you just play on like the bb tournament. if you are gonna get silly, just go crazy. I think in the end, baseball is gonna lose far more fans than they gain.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

What Willie said. Take a game with such great tradition and do what you can to screw it up. A penalty box for making an error comes next.

Participant

Free

“Goodness, how about we water things down some more? I already hate having 5 teams from each league. In what world would two more teams be worthy of a shot at a title after 150+ games??”

I’m with you all the way, card25.

So MLB wants to be more like the NHL and NBA, huh? If the NBA playoffs began today, the Orlando Magic would qualify for the postseason. With 3 games to spare, mind you.

The (bleeping) Orlando (bleeping) Magic are 23-31, folks. And THIS is what Manfred & friends want to emulate?

I hate this 14-team playoff idea more than I hate Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Lance Armstrong, and Duke basketball, combined.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 5 hours ago by AvatarBob Reed.
    Participant

Free

You know if they go to 7 teams there’s a real possibility a team under .500 makes it.

Marlins 2016 79-83

Braves and Mets 2014 79-83

It’s just a terrible idea. About the only thing that would come out of it is that it would be a shorter season possibly but you can see the flawed theory in that as well. More teams in the hunt they think gets you better attendance in September to make up for those lost games. Baseball is going up against school and the NFL amd College Football in Septemebr. NFL and College does draw people away from baseball. I don’t think some ho hum under .500 team is going to draw any more than a thousand fans or so to make up for it.

And the March Madness aspect to it is just stupid! People pay attention to march madness to the basketball pools and affiliation to a college involved. Baseball isn’t like that and will never be. I don’t understand why Manfred and likely some owners are trying to make baseball something that it isn’t. It’s not NBA, NHL or football or college basketball and you aren’t drawing in then

If you wanted meet at the middle (not that I want to) then add a 6th team and have a two 1 game Wild Cards. I buy that a heck of a lot more than this craptastic scheme.

I’ve said this time after time. Manfred is ruining the game. He’s a virus!

Participant

Free

Hell, let’s just skip the regular season and go directly into a 30-team elimination playoff.

They already ruined things when they decided to let teams that didn’t win anything to get into the post season.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

Money grabbing changes that make even more likely that the best teams will not meet in the World Series.
    Imagine having the best record by far in your league, and you get eliminated in the flukey playoff games.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate this 14-team playoff idea more than I hate Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Lance Armstrong, and Duke basketball, combined.

You had me until the Duke basketball reference, lol. You wound me, Mr Reed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you wanted meet at the middle (not that I want to) then add a 6th team and have a two 1 game Wild Cards. I buy that a heck of a lot more than this craptastic scheme.

I get that they’re trying to drum up some extra interest, and I agree that the one game playoffs, while exciting, are not fair barometers after a 162 game playoff…adding all these extra teams just waters the product down and puts totally unworthy teams in the discussion for a championship. Yuck.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hell, let’s just skip the regular season and go directly into a 30-team elimination playoff.

They already ruined things when they decided to let teams that didn’t win anything to get into the post season.

I agree with you, CiF. I’m on the bandwagon of two divisions per league, an LCS and World Series follow the season. Period. Who wants to watch the sub .500 Mets play in the playoffs? I’d rather see four 98-100 win dynamos duke it out.

You’d think this might be the precursor to expansion. It’s going to eventually happen, just like the DH. Might as well get it over with.

Participant

Free

this better be a joke because that would be the dumbest dang thing this IDIOT commish has done so far!

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what I wrote when I first posted about it in the other thread:

The whole thing sounds gimmicky and desperate for attention, which of course means that MLB will probably do it. 14 teams in the playoffs? The top teams from each league get to choose their opponent?
    Who devised this, Vince McMahon?

I do not like diluting the regular season down to the point where it means nothing. The NBA and NHL have already done this. The only positive would be getting rid of the silly one game playoff but the trade isn’t worth it.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by Avatargscottar.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years