Potential Future Lineup

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Potential Future Lineup

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Good idea. I’d trade Gomez before I’d trade Burleson.”

Yup.

“You would also get a lot less for him.”

Double-yup.

Other front offices are doubtless examining Moises’ Double-A numbers this year, mentally regressing his BABIP to a more reasonable .350 or so, and ending up with a .240 guy striking out 35% of the time despite being slightly old for his league (24 next month). That’s a combustible combo.

Malcom Nunez is probably viewed more favorably by outsiders. Less defensive value than Moises, but steady reasonable strikeout rates for his career, plus a blossoming patience/power combo — and he’s 2 1/2 years younger than Gomez. Big, big difference there.

Prediction! It’ll be Nunez plus Connor Thomas to some team, for someone. And Connor Thomas will turn into another Marco Gonzales by 2024, and Nunez into another Juan Yepez by 2025. For me that’s a bit too much for 1 1/3 seasons of the oft-injured Frankie Montas, but not near enough for 2 1/3 years of German Marquez.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other front offices are doubtless examining Moises’ Double-A numbers this year, mentally regressing his BABIP to a more reasonable .350 or so, and ending up with a .240 guy striking out 35% of the time despite being slightly old for his league (24 next month). That’s a combustible combo.

Or he could be Adolis Garcia, who none of us figured would work out like he did.

bccran
    Participant

What has happened to Jhon Torres? Highly regarded prospect who now can’t hit worth a lick.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I thought that Torres would break out this season (and said so here)…. not happening. He was bothered by early season injury and really hasn’t got going. He’ll be on my break out list for ’23….there’s a lot of talent there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless Torres gets moving ahead soon, he probably won’t make it before reaching free agency (which is what I wrote this winter in his prospect writeup. At that time, he was no. 18. Now no. 24 and falling.)

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I don’t have the numbers to back things up but I keep wondering why the Cardinals would move Winn off of SS. From the things I have read, Winn is supposed to have better range and a better arm at SS than Edman. Winn is supposed to also have a good glove. It would seem to make more sense to convert Edman to CF and keep Winn at SS.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Do not move Edman…move Winn or trade him.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

To clear things up…. Winn is not being moved off SS anytime soon.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

GameCard, Winn might be the next Ozzie Smith and you want to move him to CF or trade him? It is those types of decisions that would doom the Cardinals to mediocrity.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m with Forsch all the way on this one. Carlson isn’t awful in center, and his batting numbers definitely look better there. If anything, Bader to the Padres for pitching, let Carlson play there for now, then in 2024 when Winn can take over at SS, figure something out.

bccran
    Participant

Edman is a starting ML shortstop. Covering the position well. If Winn beats him out for the position, so be it. But why uproot a proven major leaguer who’s playing well at his natural position when slotting Winn for CF doesn’t disrupt that.
    Also, Winn may very well be an upgrade over our present center fielder.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bc, you do it because Winn would be the better fielder at SS. Better arm and better range. Edman graded as a 50 fielder and Winn graded as a 60 fielder.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Tyler Green had really good range too. Let things play out. It’s ok to look at potential, but you’re talking about a 20 year old AA player who’s at least a year if not 2 away and the big league team has a 27 year old SS doing just fine in Thomas Hyunsu Edman.

bccran
    Participant

If Winn has tremendous speed and a bazooka for an arm, wouldn’t that play well in CF? If you question Edman’s arm (which is adequate) at SS, why would you want him in CF instead of Winn?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I’m not saying anything about whether or not he needs to earn it. My only point of contention is that people want to move a better defender to another position just because they like the player currently in the position. Edman has speed. If Winn can learn CF, so can Edman.

bccran
    Participant

But people question his arm on the infield, Forsch. How about his arm in CF?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Edman’s arm plays better in CF. An OF is able to set his feet to throw. A shortstop in the hole doesn’t have that luxury.

bccran
    Participant

I put Winn in CF and you don’t, Forsch. No problem. Agreeing to disagree isn’t a bad thing. Again, if Winn can beat out Edman for the SS position, so be it.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Ideally, neither of them would be in the outfield. Defensively, you probably want Winn at SS and Edman at 2B. But that forces Gorman to move again.

Where would Gorman go? He could move to LF, could become DH, or after 2024 he could take over 1B. Remember, Goldschmidt’s contract is up after the 2024 season, at which time he will be 36. If Gorman is put at DH, then the Cardinals are probably forced to trade Yepez or use him as a PH.

Winn may get a cup of coffee next year, but probably won’t be on the MLB team as a regular until 2024.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

IF Goldschmidt is still hitting really well in 2024, I have no problem with the Cardinals re-signing him for a year or 2 after that. He is such a good defender that he makes the other infielders look better by saving them throwing errors. That’s where some of DeJong’s defensive improvement came from.

bccran
    Participant

If Goldy keeps it up, would love to see him extended. That would probably put Walker in LF.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very true gentlemen. Some assume that Goldy’s final year in St. Louis will be 2024. I wouldn’t assume that at all.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Agreed, if Goldy is hitting well he should be extended. But right now, all we know is his contract expires in 2024 and he will be 36.

If he is extended, then Gorman can move to DH or LF.

bccran
    Participant

Gotta be strong up the middle. Gorman is handling 2B fine. If Bader’s not in CF, then someone outstanding defensively needs to be there.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

For me, there are 3 levels of tradeable players.

Keep (core build around): Goldschmidt, Arenado, Herrera, Walker, Winn

It takes a ton to move: Gorman, Hudson, Liberatore, Helsley, Edman, Carlson, Burleson, Graceffo

Players to not just give up: Donovan, Hicks, Yepez, O’Neill, Bader

The remainder are just trade chips. Obviously, Wainwright and Molina will be kept. I am sure I have forgotten someone.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.