Potential bullpen meltdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Potential bullpen meltdown

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Lee.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I fear we may wear down our bullpen with only 3 reliable arms. You HAVE to have more depth. And with 3 pitchers that should only pitch in blowouts that surely will make things more taxing going forward. Now hopefully Oviedo and Thompson can fit in this mix too.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I’ve attacked Marmol for his innumerable managerial missteps, but one large thing you can say in his favor, thus far he is definitely NOT burning out his best relievers (unlike last year under Marmol’s immediate predecessor).

Cabrera is on pace for 56 games and 69 innings. Absolutely nothing wrong with that combo. And Helsey & Gallegos are each on target for just 58 innings with only 49 and 56 appearances, respectively. Quite responsible totals. Almost too low, in fact! Now Marmol/Mozeliak have to jettison the bullpen dead weight — and maybe bring in the guy who threw 12 shutout innings against the Brewers last year. He might come in handy. 😉

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob, I agree that the pace is good so far, but I fear that could change. And I do not like to think of how many games we could have won with different. I’ve always favored having a virtually bulletproof bullpen. The signings the FO have made have been horrendous. Witt green at least had a track record, Mcfarlandin my mind is a 2021 one hit wonder. And Verhagen stats never looked very good to give someone a 2 year contract. In addition, the signings that were sent to Memphis have fared little better except for Naile.

And Milwaukee seems to find 27 to 30 year old relievers that are productive. (Most I have never heard of)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A thought just came to me that why we are not using Pacheco. He is a 40 man roster member, and his control is iffy. I think he should have been promoted to Memphis. The face that he has not been tried is amazingly short sighted. His numbers are not great, but compared to Verhagen, McFarland, Wittgren, and several relievers from Memphis his numbers are great.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they won’t use Woody it shouldn’t be surprising they won’t look at Pacheco or anybody in particular. But they will use a guy that is clearly not ready.

bccran
    Participant

Wonder how Sidney Conner Thomas would do out of the Cardinals bullpen.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder how Sidney Conner Thomas would do out of the Cardinals bullpen.

Thomas seems like a guy who would have been an excellent LOOGY in the past. He’s very tough on lefties and righties seem to have his number. I would hope he will get some shot in St Louis at some point.

bccran
    Participant

Seems like there’s plenty of possible bullpen improvement with a few from the group of Hicks, Thompson, Thomas, Woodford, Oviedo, and Liberatore.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not as high as some on Woodford and Oviedo. Maybe a permanent switch to the bullpen might jump start Oviedo, though.

But I would agree they are better than Verhagen, McFarland, and Wittgren. I agree Thomas would be a good replacement for McFarland, but the Cards don’t like dead money.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m glad to be wrong when I started this thread. But I fear when Verhagen and McDonald we will lose our depth in our reliable bullpen. I can see McDonald being let go at some point due to his contract being only 1 year. Verhagen however will likely be kept, as the FO doesn’t usually let money being wasted. (Their opinion and fact, not my opinion obviously)

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well Cardinals released wittgren today. While not great, I thought he was good at times. I would have released McFarland instead but even bad left handers are favored over righties

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They threw $1.2M at Wittgren and got next to nothing for it. When something like this happens, I hate it because it always feels like it’s my money they pissed away.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford should certainly be up either as a starter or in the pen. His stats speak for themselves.
    TJ should be released.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years