Post-COVID Pitching Staff

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Post-COVID Pitching Staff

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna is on a 45HR/130RBI pace right now.

Participant

Free

I have no interest on Soler or Ozuna. I assume either one will require more money or cost in trade chips than I would be willing to part with.

Conforto is interesting. I hadn’t considered him.

MM3, I haven’t completely come up with targets, yet. Although, Kirilloff and Kelenic would be at the top of my list. Drew Waters is another I would like to research more. Julio Rodriguez is a nice target but I would really like someone a little closer to the majors. As far as current major leaguers, I haven’t researched very many, yet. Arenado and Lindor would be at the top of that list.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We seem to be veering off the pitching focus of this thread and into territory that seems a better fit for the pinned TRADE IDEAS thread.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, correct me if I’m wrong.
    Going by the matrix our SP’s are Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Martinez, KK.
    relievers are LH: Miller, Webb, Cabrera, Kaminski
    RH: Helsley, Reyes, Woodford, Elledge, Crismatt and Gant or replacement
    PDL and Gomber likely starting doubleheaders
    —–
    We’ve lost our closer and setup men in Gallegos and Gant, so I’d like your opinion on pulling one of KK or Martinez from the rotation as the closer.

I would agree a pitcher is more valuable as a SP than reliever, BUT, within the teams W/L context, how many Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson starts do we risk losing due to no closer? Those SP’s can go deep, especially in 7 inning games.

If we pulled a closer from the rotation we may have created a loss every 5 days due to a bullpen start, but how many saves of wins does a closer lock down the other 4 days? KK and Martinez are stretched out well, they should be able to handle a fairly heavy workload.

Another concern would be our current pen blowing a lead before getting to a closer. There I’d be hoping Reyes and Cabrera could handle set up duties.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not make any changes yet, as they could be an overcorrection. Gant’s injury may not be too serious. With all the twin-bills, the Cardinals need the most innings they can get from every pitcher. I would keep CMart and Kim in the starting five.

Along with all the others you noted, don’t forget Oviedo. He should be getting close to returning.

Others are more than welcome to weigh in, too…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would definitely keep CMart and Kim in the rotation. I think that is where there comfort level is at the highest. Kim’s initial foray as closer earlier this year was not successful but he has been great in the rotation. CMart drove me crazy as closer last year. I still think he can be a good starter. He had good stuff today but got squeezed by the home plate ump and let down by our defense. We need their innings in the rotation.

The bottom line is that Miller and Reyes are going to have to step up and handle the 8th and 9th until Gant and Gallegos return and other guys are going to have to step up as well. These last two weeks could be brutal. I guess we will see what we are made of.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, if CMart stays in the rotation and gets better with each start, his trade value escalates. We would have an excellent rotation without CMart, and we should be able to get the outfielder that we need by trading him.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals place Hudson on 45day IL, activate Whitley – MLBTR

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years