Positive Year For Delvin Perez

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Positive Year For Delvin Perez

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

His numbers aren’t eye-popping but the fact he played regularly getting
    450 AB’s and hitting .260 or so seems like a big step forward when
    compared to his first two years. Still a long way to go but playing
    everyday is an encouraging sign.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree. This may be a sign of maturity. Do not forget he will be 21 in Nov. Peoria is stacked with underaged prospects Cedeno-Machado-Whalen-Soto all only 20 or 21.

Back to Perez… hopefully his troubled days are in the past and he now believes there is lots of money to be made by using potential and production to make the bigs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He needs to continue working on getting stronger.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Perez has 46 extra-base hits in 969 career minor league at-bats. Considering that, I wonder if it would be more beneficial for him to skip Palm Beach next year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the other hand, would Perez hit enough to survive in the Texas League? I am very skeptical.

Forget the Midwest League. Just on his own Peoria team, this season he is ranked:

BA #7
    OBP #8
    SLG #14
    OPS #10

(As a point of reference, Peoria is 11th of 16 MWL teams in OPS, so they are not a powerhouse offense by any means.)

My conclusion: If Perez wasn’t a former first rounder, we wouldn’t be singling him out. (I am including myself in this.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

We drafted him on potential. I think he still has time to blossom. I think 2019 has been real progress for Perez and I look forward to seeing what he does in Palm Beach next year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After four years in the system, Perez’ clock is ticking more loudly. He is just one year away from Rule 5 eligibility. He seems a long way from earning a 40-man spot, but probably also a long way from being taken by another organization (assuming he is protected on Memphis’ 2020 Rule 5 roster). I guess this could be a partial justification to push him ahead.

P.S. The Cards often say that Double-A is the level at which they expect players to progress from potential to performance.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years