Pham speaks out

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Pham speaks out

• This topic has 53 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by AvatarBw52.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because you still have to produce, Tommy. Everyone does.

Participant

Free

oh brother

Participant

Free

Can you have imagined LaRussa’s reaction to this?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ugh…i like Tommy but this statement is just ridiculous

believing in him has nothing to do with being demoted…

if you cant take getting demoted to AAA once you have been up then you shouldn’t be playing baseball

Participant

That chip on the shoulder may weigh you down Mr. Pham. Play they way you do and you will get a contract (not what you may think you are worth but you are 30) and let it go.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade him.Get something for him while his value is high.Cards have plenty of OF options.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He had better keep producing or he will end up on the trade block. I remember Mo making some comments last year about how Pham didn’t speak for the team. I’m sure his mouth is already on the radar of the front office.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think a trade is what he is hoping for.He can be replaced.let him take his “poor pitiful mistreated me” crap elsewhere.The sooner the better.

Participant

Free

You may not like what he has to say, but that doesn’t mean he’s wrong. Not letting Pham play was as stupid as paying tons of money to crappy relievers. The guy earned his shot far more than several guys who got shots in front of him. He has good reason to be mad at the organization. These are the people who believed that Bourgos, Grichuk, Hazelbaker, and even Matt Adams were better options in the outfield than he was.

If stupidity like that cost you millions of dollars, you’d probably be a little salty, too.

Participant

Free

I said at the beginning of the off season I would have traded him. Mostly because I don’t think he’ll ever produce near the level of last year, but I also don’t like his demeanor or attitude.

Participant

Free

He was always hurt and not an option. Which lead to looking other routes.

Participant

Free

I’m gonna keep this as nice as I can. He really needs to understand the Cardinals have three or four really good options that are much younger than him just chomping at the bit for an opportunity. Unless he is trying to get traded it would behoove him to shut his trap. I don’t think they miss a beat if they removed him and put Garcia, Arozarrna, Bader, or even Mercado out there. I don’t think he appreciates just how expendable he really is. Heck I didn’t even mention O’Neill. Come Tommy just go play and stop the commentary.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I appreciate that Pham plays with that chip on his shoulder and that’s what motivates him, the article sure doesn’t pain him in a positive light. As his sister said, he’s an angry person and eventually, anger will destroy him. I sure hope he finds some peace soon.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah he had a decent season last year ……. but not good enough to start dropping the “F” bomb twice in one fell swoop. Just who does he think he is!! Pham must have the misconception that he’s putting up Albert Belle or Dick Allen type numbers.

Participant

Free

Tommy is playing tonight like he was told to “F****** put up, or F****** shutup!!”

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

…a whole lot of fornicating in that article.

Participant

Free

This PG ownership must be blowing a gasket right now. I love it!

I was never a huge Pham believer but he shut me up quite a bit with last years performance. I do worry that he’s an injury risk and the off and on eye issues have me concerned as well.

What do I gather from this article you may ask? He’s a guy who isn’t afraid to speak his mind for sure and yes he’s a little unrefined. I also see someone that is a very hard worker. Some of the article went into some of his struggles in the minors but also his meticulous regime to get the best from himself. I respect him for that although calling some of your peers soft isn’t the best way to make friends but I have a feeling he doesn’t care about any of that.

That being said I could see him traded if we fall out of contention or in some off season middle of the night deal the Cardinals are famous for but for now he’s not going anywhere and some of you are just going to have to deal with it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think its okay to just let Tommy Pham be Tommy Pham. Sometimes that kind of talk is just nerves talking. As big as his talk is, he has to feel insecure at the bottom of it with all that has happened to him. The things he’s been saying sound kind of like he’s ‘talking smack’ to me. Talking smack is generally considered acceptable behavior nowadays for athletes. Its just too early to lay big judgements on Tommy Pham. He doesn’t even have a full season at the MLB level yet. Also, folks, we have to face the fact that these Millennials just take longer to grow up. Also, I think he’s been a positive influence on the clubhouse, not a negative one, and that tells you something.

Participant

Free

What he said and the language he used was way out of line. He’s been in the organization for 13 years. The Cards have stuck with him through thick and thin to help him keep his dream alive. Most importantly, you don’t throw your employer and some fellow employees under the bus in a national publication. Dumb. Very dumb.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have always been a big fan of Pham, and have also been frustrated that he was not given more opportunities earlier. The worst time was in late 2016, when Matheny kept running Brandon Moss out there rather than Pham. Tommy did have a high K rate that year, but he would only get an AB here and there.

I just looked at the talent he had, and compared to Moss it seemed a no-brainer that you had to give Pham the playing time to see if he could work through things.

The language is over the top, but the guy is frustrated. It’s not all the club’s fault – Tommy’s career has been beset with injuries. I imagine he is frustrated with that as well, although most of his anger is vented towards the club.

If I am management, no way I trade him because of the comments. Any time you make a trade based on emotions, you risk making a bone-head deal. The guy is our best player right now. You do your best to understand his frustration, and figure it fuels him to be the best player he can be.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So bigmouth Pham had a partial season worth a damn and that makes him the judge on management choosing guys who could stay on the field and didn`t get a hangnail or have eye issues.The same Pham would struck out 40plus % in 2016 and played crappy enough in Spring training last year to deserve a demotion and the same management that kept his ungrateful arrogant self around for 13 years.Enough is enough.Get rid of that jackass.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham isn`t the best player.He is just the loudest.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Dont disagree with much of what he said even if I dont agree with the way he said it.

Participant

Bike, Pham did have a high K rate in 2016. 159AB/71K. From Aug 16 on 39AB/26K . With those kind of #s how could Matheny play him over anybody? Even Moss. It was blamed on eyesight issues, but still 39AB…26K. Matheny did Pham a favor by not sending him to the plate.

Right now Pham is a very good hitter… let’s go with that. He should too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A 30 year old injury prone player who has ONE partial season of productivity at the MLB level who rips the organization that kept him around for 13 years.Ripping management…..? Did mangement get him hurt or cause his eyes problems? Cards stuck withh him when they easily could have traded him or released him.So in return he turn egotistical FBomb loudmouth biting the hand that feeds him.Keep waving that red cape in front of the bull Pham and hopefully you get a new playing address soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years