Paul DeJong injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul DeJong injury

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jnevel I would argue that Winn can be considered the safety valve if Edman goes down. He can be here the next day. Even if his bat is not ready, he wouldn’t hit any worse than DeJong.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That’s my mindset as well. I think they’d first try Donovan at SS and Gorman at 2B, but if that didn’t work out right away, Winn would come to the rescue.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we have to pay him anyway, why throw away a perfectly good backup shortstop? I guess we could have Burleson and Walker both make the team. But there just aren’t enough at bats for Burleson in that case and it’s a lost season for him. I just don’t see how this helps. I get the DeJong fatigue. This is what happens frequently when we see a guy too long not meet lofty expectations. It seems to have happened to Carlson and Liberatore as well, even though those two are still very young and getting better. If we bring Winn up, it will probably happen to him too because he is just not ready as a hitter yet.

I’m ok if the Cardinals can put Fermin on the bench or Robertson if they can get something for DeJong. But if they can’t, just kicking him off the team makes our team worse. I just don’t see any logic in that. And that’s why he’s still around. Because even though he’s played below what we had all hoped for, he still is equal or better than the alternatives. I think Knizner is a lot less likely to make the team and just get released than DeJong. With Knizner, we probably do have options that will be better.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is anyone surprised by this?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Not at all. I’d say it’s the only way to avoid squandering a spot on the 26 man.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Motter might grab that roster spot when camp breaks. Don’t know what roster moves will be involved. Paulie is done I think.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If they go with 13 position players and Motter makes the team, then who won’t? Even if DeJong can’t go, one of these three would seemingly not. Would it be Burleson, Yepez or Walker?

IMO, Donovan is so versatile (as is Edman), they could get by without another backup infielder.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since you made the same comment in two different threads, I put the reply here instead of the game thread.

Motter would need a 40-man spot, while Burleson and Yepez do not. Any of them can play first base the one time every two weeks that Goldy doesn’t.

I could maybe see Motter making the team if he was a true middle infielder, but he isn’t at this stage of his career.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards should have 11 guys getting regular time…Contreras and backup C. Arenado, Edman, Donovan, Gorman, Goldy, O’Neill, Carlson, Nootbaar, Walker. That leaves little playing time for the other two. If DeJong can’t go, I actually could see them dropping Fermin from the 40 man and adding Motter to mostly ride the bench and come in if there’s a late injury. With Winn’s play in spring, there’s probably less need for Fermin in AAA. But I wonder if they would add Robertson before Motter. He can play SS in a pinch.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Winn’s glove is ready. His presence in Memphis means the Cardinals do not need anyone on the active roster besides Edman and Donovan who is capable of playing SS for more than one game. Winn can be here the next day, and even if his bat is not quite ready, he would hit better than any of the SS capable 3rd guy possibilities being talked about. The idea that DeJong serves any useful purpose fades daily. Winn, Gorman and Motter are all playing well. Donovan and Edman will play well.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just note that “more than 1 game” isn’t always practical. Sometimes Memphis is playing on the east coast and the Cardinals are in San Francisco or someplace like that. It could be up to 2 or 3 days to get someone there. It just depends. And there’s not really a desire I would guess to put Winn on the 40-man yet because that uses a space that they cannot get back. Whereas with Robinson, they can just try to pass him through waivers and if someone claims him, oh well. They definitely can’t do that with Winn. But I guess if they had a need for a full month at SS, Winn could be considered. Like you said, he can handle the D.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems to me if there is a need for a starter (meaning Edman is on the IL), then Motter or Robertson isn’t the answer. It would be Winn. They are trying to win this year and Winn has shown can contribute if called upon. There should be no doubt that Winn has the most upside.

But if the need is an occasional fill in as a reserve, which is what the current case seems to be, then Donovan can do it.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed that if they need a SS for an extended time, it’s Winn. The main MLB IF player set is Arenado, Edman, Donovan, Gorman, Goldschmidt. As noted, when Edman needs a day off, Donovan can play SS. The 6th IF seems likely to see almost no action. The last person on the bench if something weird happens. Play last innings of blowouts.

With Winn down at Memphis to be called up only in case of serious injury.

Seems to me there are three options for that 6th infielder, DeJong, Motter, and Robertson. Given how little I’d think any would play, I don’t see a lot to distinguish the three. DeJong’s already got the MLB contract, so doesn’t cost a roster spot or salary. And he can field well. And maybe he’s fixed his swing somewhat, which we can’t know without him playing. So he gets my first shot. But if he’s on the DL, then my question is who helps more, Motter or Robertson? I mostly shrug since neither would play much. But I see “defensive sub at SS for an emergency game or two” as the most likely. So I lean ever so slightly to Robertson. If we’re looking at spring stats, his OPS is 1.031. So few ABs, it hardly means anything, but Motter hasn’t outperformed Robertson. He had a .757 OPS at Memphis last year. Not as good as Motter’s.870, but not shabby.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good logic, but I would keep both Yepez and Burleson over either Motter or Robertson (and sending Burly or Yepez to Memphis).

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The band gets back together this week with all the WBC cadets returning to ST action. Guys will get sent packing to MiLB camp, and the roster contender finalists and their contemplated roles will clarify. Apart from the bubble guys, I am anxious to observe how Gorman and Carlson are utilized in the coming days. Obviously, the pen composition is the other thing we don’t know.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. A lot of questions still but overall health is good.

bccran
    Participant

33 year old Taylor Motter? Who’s had the following major league plate appearances over the last few years?

2018 – 38
    2019 – 0
    2020 – 0
    2021 – 29
    2022 – 6

Really?

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian-

I hadn’t thought of Burleson as a stop gap with DeJong out. Could well be. But I really wonder if they keep both Yepez and Burleson how many ABs those two will have. Having one of them play regularly at AAA might be better than gathering rust on the bench. I am trying to remember when the 5th infielder (Gorman) and 4th OF (Carlson? Walker?) were this strong.

bccran
    Participant

I can’t remember a time, Gags.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I did just read that DeJong will indeed be put on the IL to start the season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In your view, should Motter be nervous anout the prospect of Paulie working his way back, BW?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Absolutely.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I thought he might have a chance to stick around if only for his ability to feature more versatility than DeJong. At any rate, that’s a shame, but only because I like saying, “Motter”…Haha!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its too bad because Motter is actually useful, but we all know the 9 million reasons why he’ll be gone.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.