Our upcoming free agent pitchers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Our upcoming free agent pitchers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears Flaherty, Reyes, and Hicks will be free
    agents after next year. Due to their injuries, and uncertain futures, I really don’t know what the Cards do with them. If Hicks keeps pitching well, and continues doing so next year, I’d possibly want him for more years. The other 2 who knows what their future is.
    Also, with Matzs injury, and Waino possibly retiring, (although I think he returns for another year) I would maybe keep Quintana around, and deal Hudson. Then Montgomery may be gone after next year. And while it is possible Liberatore and Graceffo may help by then, but they are not sure things.

Sure seems like a lot of questions.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas’ contract is also over after 2023. I believe there’s a pretty good chance that St Louis acquires multi year starter this off-season. I’m not sure who it would be, but it’s got to be consideration due to all the talent sure to be gone by the spring of 2024.

bccran
    Participant

2023 –

Flaherty
    Mikolas
    Montgomery
    Matz
    Hudson
    Waino
    Pallante

Incubating –

Liberatore
    Thompson
    Thomas
    Graceffo
    McGreevy
    Hjerpe
    Hence
    Rondon
    Bedell

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty has been hurt so much that I don’t think he can be counted on for 2023. If he comes back and pitches well, we can be thankful for our Dodgers-like fortune. Mikolas, Matz and Hudson are all injury risks as well. I love Waino but eventually he will be caught by father time.

So I’d say it’s fair to say the Cards have 4-4.5 starters for next year (1/2 credit for all the injury risks and young guys/OGs).

For me, a perfect off season would involve trading for Nola or perhaps Lopez (if you wanted to dream, Alcantara, ha) and slotting a high end guy in with them:

Nola
    Flaherty/Waino if he comes back
    Monty
    Mikolas
    Matz

Hudson and Pallante stabilize the pen. Libby and Thompson become the next two up. Graceffo is built up at AA/AAA.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

I guess Woodford was traded by now…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I highly doubt that Flaherty and Reyes have a long term future in St. Louis. Flaherty will be back next year but I think that will be his last season here. There is no guarantee Reyes will be back. He could get non-tendered. Hicks is a maybe. He needs to have a very solid 2023 to have a chance to get another season here.

I like the idea of acquiring a proven number 1 starter but I also like the idea of signing proven depth before the season begins. Mo tends to wait until the end of July to do it therefore we spend the first four months of the season scrambling with the Memphis shuttle. I would definitely consider bringing Quintana back on a one year deal and maybe sign another cheap veteran. The group we have in Memphis is promising but counting on first and second year pitchers comes with a lot of growing pains.

I am not too concerned with 2024 yet. Let’s see what we can do for 2023.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.