Option Years Remaining

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Option Years Remaining

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    jlshetler
    Participant

Free

I’ve done a quick search of the open forum but have not been able to find any discussion about which players on the 40-man roster with less than 5 years service time do and do not have minor-league options years remaining, and how many.

If such a discussion already exists could someone point me to it here, and if not can we use this thread to find those numbers?

Service times less than 5.000 as of 01/01/2019:
    Bader 1.038
    Brebbia 1.093
    Cabrera 0.000
    DeJong 1.127
    Flaherty 1.006
    Gallegos 0.085
    Gant 2.004
    A García 0.056
    Gomber 0.111
    Helsley 0.000
    Hicks 1.000
    Hudson 0.066
    Leone 3.123
    J Martínez 2.027
    Mayers 1.031
    Mikolas 2.037
    Muñoz 0.154
    O’Neill 0.101
    Poncedeleon 0.062
    Reyes 2.055
    Robinson 1.039
    Shreve 3.167
    Sosa 0.008
    Thomas 0.000
    Urías 0.000
    Webb 0.085
    Williams 0.002

-Joe

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gant, Shreve and Mayers are the guys to worry about.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of those 3, Gant is the only one that might be needed in the rotation, possibly be traded, and/or couldn’t be replaced, IMO.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

There is a site called rosterresource.com that should help you.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-st-louis-cardinals/

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting time to revisit this.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to the link above, Sosa does NOT have a 4th year option. If not traded, I wonder if he might be the primary middle infield backup in 2020 other than Edman. Munoz could be sent down.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That same site last year had Montero being rule 5 eligible. They are not flawless.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Either way we have options, no pun intended. If Sosa doesn’t have a 4th option, Munoz could be sent to Memphis for a good chunk of the year, with Sosa staying with the big club. Not sure if the 26th man would affect this situation, as carrying 3 extra infielders seems overly redundant. Munoz and Edman can play the outfield, but I would prefer giving our young outfielders playing time over that scenario.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

C27, I agree with you about the the outfielders but I sense that Shildt doesn’t.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If players vying for a 26 man roster spot are hitting/pitching equally, I would imagine a player with 1 option year left would get the nod. Maybe a little bit of a general statement, but O’Neill comes to mind as an example. PDL also.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heck, O’Neill could very well be a starter. He would have to be hurt again or have a bad spring to not make the team, IMO. Ponce is going to have a more difficult challenge as I see it. He could be the long man, but so could Gant or a number of the young guys. For example, if they make the call that Helsley and/or Cabrera are going to be relievers, that will directly hurt the chances of Ponce and Gomber, for example. In that case, options won’t matter. They will take the guy they think will do a better job. Bottom line, there are a lot of choices and a lot of variables. Pitching and the outfield should be especially fun to watch this spring.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If an option is used for 2020, the potential option years for 2021:

PDL, Gomber, Williams, Bader, Gallegos, O’Neill, and Sanchez would be 0. Now not all will be sent down, but it is a large influential number on future roster moves past 2020. Depth will certainly change.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bumped this up to check updated options status.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Of the group above I believe only Sanchez and Williams have been optioned this year

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But Reyes and Cabrera are at risk to be sent back down, thus losing an option. Reyes particularly.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears Williams, Sosa and PDL are now out of options. I think Sosa would make a good backup since he can play all 3 positions, and especially with Wong and MIller gone. But I can see another infielder being brought in since Carpenter will vest his option for 2022 with regular playing time. I sure the FO does bring in someone to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fangraphs shows Woodford and Oviedo with 3 options, but I thought they got sent down once each, at least. They also have the wrong Zac Thompson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But I can see another infielder being brought in since Carpenter will vest his option for 2022 with regular playing time

We have had several posters analyze that and the consensus is that it won’t vest.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t want Carpenter playing. There have to be better options. If he plays, and injuries occur it is always possible he reaches his vesting number. He needs to be a bench guy.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t want Carpenter playing. There have to be better options. If he plays, and injuries occur it is always possible he reaches his vesting number. He needs to be a bench guy.

It’s very unlikely he gets to the number he needs, which is in the 630+ PA range no matter how you calculate it. He’d have to bat leadoff and not miss any time.

That said, he will have a role to play. Hard to say what. Personally I think he should be a platoon bat where maybe he can eke his OPS+ over 100 for one final year in 300-400 PA. That’s about the best we could hope for.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though I am very excited about this season, unless they trade for a prospect, it is interesting to note that only Torres and Roberts might have to be added to the 40 man roster. And both players have to show improvement for that to happen. It appears the Cards will have both roster and payroll space after 2021.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like looking back at old comments, and noting how much more 40 man roster choices there will be than I expected. My above comment from last February about Torres and Roberts were hopeful of improvement, which obviously didn’t happen. I still have hope for Torres, and perhaps he will blossom like Nick Plumer did at Springfield. Griffin Roberts had a washed out year with injury, so he is a huge question mark.

On the plus side there are players like DOnovan, Perez, Plummer, Yepez who may warrant 40 man roster spots. But my guess would be that Perez may be the only one protected due to premium position that he plays. There is no one ahead of him at shortstop in the Cards system, and only Winn behind him for now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Yepez R5 eligible? I’d bet on him being protected as I think he’s a DH candidate for next year. The bat has been really good this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yepez was available last year as was Perez, Plummer and many others.

The Cardinal Nation’s 2020 Rule 5 Protection Picks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.