Option Years Remaining

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Option Years Remaining

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I’ve done a quick search of the open forum but have not been able to find any discussion about which players on the 40-man roster with less than 5 years service time do and do not have minor-league options years remaining, and how many.

If such a discussion already exists could someone point me to it here, and if not can we use this thread to find those numbers?

Service times less than 5.000 as of 01/01/2019:
    Bader 1.038
    Brebbia 1.093
    Cabrera 0.000
    DeJong 1.127
    Flaherty 1.006
    Gallegos 0.085
    Gant 2.004
    A García 0.056
    Gomber 0.111
    Helsley 0.000
    Hicks 1.000
    Hudson 0.066
    Leone 3.123
    J Martínez 2.027
    Mayers 1.031
    Mikolas 2.037
    Muñoz 0.154
    O’Neill 0.101
    Poncedeleon 0.062
    Reyes 2.055
    Robinson 1.039
    Shreve 3.167
    Sosa 0.008
    Thomas 0.000
    Urías 0.000
    Webb 0.085
    Williams 0.002

-Joe

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gant, Shreve and Mayers are the guys to worry about.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Of those 3, Gant is the only one that might be needed in the rotation, possibly be traded, and/or couldn’t be replaced, IMO.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

There is a site called rosterresource.com that should help you.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-st-louis-cardinals/

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting time to revisit this.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to the link above, Sosa does NOT have a 4th year option. If not traded, I wonder if he might be the primary middle infield backup in 2020 other than Edman. Munoz could be sent down.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

That same site last year had Montero being rule 5 eligible. They are not flawless.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Either way we have options, no pun intended. If Sosa doesn’t have a 4th option, Munoz could be sent to Memphis for a good chunk of the year, with Sosa staying with the big club. Not sure if the 26th man would affect this situation, as carrying 3 extra infielders seems overly redundant. Munoz and Edman can play the outfield, but I would prefer giving our young outfielders playing time over that scenario.

Participant

Free

C27, I agree with you about the the outfielders but I sense that Shildt doesn’t.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If players vying for a 26 man roster spot are hitting/pitching equally, I would imagine a player with 1 option year left would get the nod. Maybe a little bit of a general statement, but O’Neill comes to mind as an example. PDL also.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by AvatarCardinals27.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heck, O’Neill could very well be a starter. He would have to be hurt again or have a bad spring to not make the team, IMO. Ponce is going to have a more difficult challenge as I see it. He could be the long man, but so could Gant or a number of the young guys. For example, if they make the call that Helsley and/or Cabrera are going to be relievers, that will directly hurt the chances of Ponce and Gomber, for example. In that case, options won’t matter. They will take the guy they think will do a better job. Bottom line, there are a lot of choices and a lot of variables. Pitching and the outfield should be especially fun to watch this spring.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If an option is used for 2020, the potential option years for 2021:

PDL, Gomber, Williams, Bader, Gallegos, O’Neill, and Sanchez would be 0. Now not all will be sent down, but it is a large influential number on future roster moves past 2020. Depth will certainly change.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years