St. Louis Opening Day – Thu 4/7 Cards vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum St. Louis Opening Day – Thu 4/7 Cards vs. Bucs

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Who had Goldschmidt leading the team in stolen bases?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I was awake. But I was watching the game on BSMW. And therefore away from my computer which is located in my back bedroom.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado and Edman homer in the bottom of the 8th. Cards now up 9-0.

Good thing they aren’t playing tomorrow as snow flurries are forecast for the St. Louis area.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So is Helsley a mop up guy?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

A very satisfying start to the season. Rah Cardinals!

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

The Cabrera outing was not positive. 2 leadoff walks. Got out of it by a guy swinging at ball 4. Radio guys say his velocity has been down all spring. Anyone else hear that? But Wittgren with a 7 pitch inning was nice to see.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

O’Neil extension price on the rise!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I got home in time to see the last batter. Like the score. Congrats to Ollie on his first win.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When you shut the other team out and come close to double digit runs, it’s gonna be a fun win. Granted, the Cards should blitz the Pirates on talent alone. Yet, it’s good to see them do exactly what they should. Nice start to the year.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Yeah I don’t love the lefty situation in the bullpen. GC frightens me way too often and TJ is fine but just that.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well was hoping to get vto at work so I could catch the game live but no. I did record it but I forgot to extend so didn’t get all of it though I watched rest on Bally’s replay. Loved all the hall of famers. Nice to see Tudor and herr there for first time I believe. Waino pitched great. Offense was fine. Overall I liked the swings we had. Pujols looks great, I don’t care what anyone says. His swings were really good. I’m hoping he gets more vs less at bats. I won’t take too much out of the game though. It is the pirates. Best thing far as I know, we didn’t have any injuries. Can’t say same for pirates. Kind of brutal.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great opener, but never have I seen such a lame din-din effort. No Cardinal In France or Bling? Even Rat’s Gasthof revelation had no meat on it. Saturday will be different….. hopefully.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry about din din Pugs, but my wife wasn’t home so it was too wretched to mention. I ate after the game anyway.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know, Bling? If memory serves me correct, you mopped up pretty good in relief last year when the wifey wasn’t there to serve you din-din. Matter of fact, I swiped a couple of your selections last year for my own use.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So is Helsley a mop up guy?

At best he is. I have a lot more faith in Whitley than I do Helsley.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I watched Edman in spring training and swear I never saw him hit a ball out of the infield. Then yesterday when it mattered, he absolutely crushed a ball.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Sorry Pugs, but yesterday was leftovers day chez nous and warmed up meatballs, mashed potatoes and peas seemed unworthy. The game, however, was a fine way to start a new season, and despite grumbling from a few posters, I rather like this lineup.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea edman looked good on the one swing, not so much the others to hough I did like him hitting the ball to right side to advance bader to third. Hopefully that homer will spark edman a bit and he gets back into a groove.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian I’m not knocking your exit velocity graph but I just feel that is a bogus stat far as individual hits. Now I agree on an average spread over a certain number of at bats but otherwise I don’t see it matters. I always roll my eyes when the announcers mention that after an at bat like it’s something they are paid to do for promotion and maybe it is. That’s my take, not trying to be negative towards your post or anything.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I wanted to comment on was that play where dejong and arenado almost collided or pretty much did on that turn at second for a double play when the shift was on. By baseball code, that’s arenados ball and position to get the throw and then throw it to first because momentum is taking him that way. Dejong was flat footed when he threw because there was no momentum. The fundamentals on defense during shifts is one of the areas we struggled in last year and we had a short spring this year. For some reason they don’t tend to have team practices during season but since we did have a short spring because of strike, you would think they would find a way to work on those things if they are going to use shifts.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m also not a big shift person. Most the hits they had yesterday were due to the shift and very few if any of the outs were made specifically because of the shift.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched Edman in spring training and swear I never saw him hit a ball out of the infield. Then yesterday when it mattered, he absolutely crushed a ball.

He wasn’t facing Pirates pitching then. 🙂

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

exit velocity graph

I have a different view. In my old forum days, someone would spot a high BABIP on a player, claim regression-to-the-mean, and belittle the player for producing non-replicable results. Fast forward 10 years, and exit velocity is explaining why higher BABIP is sustainable, and why higher EV players perform better. You can see that for yourself if you graph an old-school stat like Average against a new-school stat like EV.

Here’s a Link to something similar.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe but one hit doesn’t mean anything. If you combine the average of edmands hits yesterday, I doubt they were that impressive.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Max exit velocity *does* mean something, though. Edman may have improved his power a little over the winter, or perhaps he simply got ahold of one from his natural side. It’s nice to see the potential there, and hopefully it translates to a little more pop over a full season. It may not, though.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years