Off-season 40-man roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off-season 40-man roster

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bringing this back up to the top… seeing as the decision is today at 8 for who we protect

me i want to protect as many spots as we have available and deal with FA’s signings etc. when they come…

I also think a few guys are maybe in a bit of danger… Voit, Mayers, Valera…but they dont have to be at the moment if we only want to protect 5

i say:
    Wisdom
    ONeill
    Gomber
    Mercado
    Poncedeleon

I’d drop Voit for Wisdom if need be as i think Wisdom could do the same job as Voit except add 3b and superb 3b at that, AND JMArt showed he can cover right hand hitting for average and power at 1b on the bench

Poncedeleon was rising fast before his injury…he shoudlnt be thrown away for one lost year even with a scary injury

Oneill, Mercado are seeming slam dunks…and i think Gomber may be too

so where is everyone else at?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My earlier published predictions to be added to the 40-man today are O’Neill, Gomber and Mercado.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think you are definitely right on those 3…

but do you think we really wont protect another 2 if we have open spots and dont have any FA’s acquired?

would we really let guys be subject to the draft while we still had open spots on the 40?

what is the negative for protecting as many as we can and then takign them off once a trade or FA signing happens?? is it worse than not protecting them for rule V?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I say keep Voit.I like Wisdom although i doubt he gets protected.as for Poncedeleon i see no reason to protect him.He will be 26 in January and he has not even been able to have a complete AAA season ( injury) .Voit was a very good PH last year.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

would it be possible to sneak Voit through waivers or whatever today as everyone is trying to protect their own kids?

i know people keep spots open for rule V but if you save a spot and then Voit is available you may think twice for putting in a claim on him if you want to be in the rule v draft…

to me i liek Voit, but i didnt see progress once he was up in the bigs in the role he will have… Wisdom might be better suited for that for all we know…but at least he woudl be a good late inning defender too…

i dunno…both are fine guys to have at your disposal, but i think i might prefer Wisdom if i had to pick one…i might be wrong in the end but i just really value that defensive flex Wisdom could offer over Voit being stuck at 1b and pinch hitting… i dunno…

PadsFS
    Participant

That’s an interesting debate. Voit has displayed much better plate discipline, but slightly less power and a very high BABIP at AAA.

Wisdom had more power, a more normal BABIP, yet worse plate discipline. Wisdom can play 3B, but with Carpenter being LH, Voit is a useful bench bat and we can shift Carpenter to 3B in the event they want Voit in the lineup for some reason.

I don’t buy that Wisdom would ever be useful in the majors with his K-rate and his slow acclimation to every level he’s been promoted to in the minors.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

At Wisdom’s age and history he is more like a minor league FA (which he is only one year away from). A team can sign a minor league FA and not use a roster spot and not lose the player if not on the 25 man roster all year. That is why I dont think Wisdom gets protected or chosen if not protected.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One obvious reason to keep a spot or two open is for the Cards to be free to add a player or two if they like in Rule 5 (not V, sorry but a pet peeve of mine). Bowman worked out pretty well.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

they just adde:

MErcado
    Derian
    ONeill
    Gomber

I wonder if they think they can push Derian fast now…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Adding Derian Gonzalez looks like a Luis Perdomo reaction.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ha! sounds right

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will be interesting to see if he’s a starter or reliever next year.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Darien Gonzales?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does seem like a knee jerk reaction.D. Gonzalez hasn`t even made it to AA level and has only pttched in less than 80 games in 5 years? Why?Do they really think some team is going to pick this kid up and keep him up in the Majors all season long? Crazy move.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bw the Padres took Perdomo and Cordoba and kept both all season and neither one had reached Palm Beach. Cards were clearly being preactive.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC- Cards were being foolish IMHO.Cards have prospects ahead of DGonzalez.Who knows? Padres might pick up every Cards castoff/unprotected guys but i question if any have any big impact.Gonzalez projects as a bullpen guy and the Cards have plenty coming up the system.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, a correction. Perdomo, like Gonzalez, had reached Palm Beach.

As we saw this season, a player was promoted directly from PB to St. Louis (Magneuris Sierra) so maybe it isn’t as far away as once seemed.

I did not think Gonzalez would be protected, but I am not overly surprised. An upper 90’s fastball with movement is what distinguishes him for me.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Afer doing more checking the Cards minor league rosters and checking the stats on several of the Cards other minor league bullpen guys i can see somewhat the reasoning behind Gonzalez `s addition.
    Most of the AAA guys are in their mid-20s area with Wick (40-man) being the only real hard thrower.( mid-to-upper 90s0 guy.Morales ,Arturo Reyes,Mayers a bit above or around average throwers.
    AA bullpen young prospects Jacob Evans 24 struckout over a hitter a inning Lefty.
    HI-A
    Ian McKinney -23 LH finesse guy Ramon Santos 23 RH,

I didn`t really consider Trey Nielsen 26 RH,Kevin Herget RH 26,Sean Gilmartin LH 27 as anything other than fringe prospects although Gilmartin has the best chance making a impact out of the bullpen .

Please correct me if i am wrong about these prospects/players.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian, thanks for the correction.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Where does signing Mikolas and Gregerson put us for the 40 man roster? Full now? Takes us out of the rule 5 draft? Or has Gregerson only “agreed to terms” and not yet signed?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, I covered the roster implications in the Gregerson article on the front page. It is free.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.