Off-season 40-man roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Off-season 40-man roster

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 40-man roster is at 42 with Reyes and Rosenthal who will need to be added at season’s end. Most agree Lynn and OH go FA. That will leave it at 40, but with 4 or perhaps 5 to add (because of Rule-5) who will be dropped from the present 40-man roster? (barring any trades). Thoughts, ideas, predictions or corrections?

Participant

Free

Hopefully, they don’t bring Rosenthal back this year.

Also Duke is a free agent.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

FA’s
    Oh
    Duke
    Lynn
    Nicasio

This happens 5 days after the World Series. With bringing back Rosenthal and Reyes, the roster will stand at 38.

They need to add any potential minor league FAs to the roster at this time also if the want to protect them. That would include Martini and Montgomery. I dobt see them doing that.

In preperation for the rule 5 draft they will certainly remove some players. My guess (in order of likelyhood)

Rosario
    Rosenthal (I’m predicting he gets a minor league contract laden with incentives)
    Mejia – I think he passes through waivers and remains under team control

That brings the roster to 35.

For rule 5 protection they will add

Gomber
    Mercado
    O’Neill
    Seferina

That brings the roster back to 39.

If they need to sign more than 1 free agent and haven’t opened up any spots via trade, these are the players who I think are most likely to get removed (in order).

Valera – probably passes through waivers but then becomes a minor league FA.

Voit – 50/50 if he passes through waivers. Cards retain his rights if he does.

Mayers – was outstanding after being moved to the Memphis pen. I think he gets claimed if put on waivers.

Lucas – personally, I would keep Mayers over him but the Cards seem to see it differently.

Sosa – Definately gets claimed if exposed to waivers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Pads. And I forgot to add (also barring any FA signings) that might get a chuckle, especially from the FO.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Any thought on Wick? He seemed to take a step back this season and could be a DFA candidate.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I forgot about Wick. I would place him in the Mayers/Lucas category.

Note that Nicasio is also a FA after the season.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well there could be several players traded.

Grichuk, Piscotty, Pham, Sierra, Bader, Kelly, J. Martinez, Gyroko, Carp, and Diaz are all possible trade candidates. Then you have some bullpen pieces that might not be on the 40 man next year. I think they bring Nicasio back though.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’d rather have Cisheck than Nascio.

Trades are fun to speculate about but that speculation usually has little to do with reality. More so in our case. Too many moving pieces. I dont doubt their will be a significant trade – but who goes and for what is anybody’s guess.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder about some other players on the roster that Matheny doesn’t seem to use as much in certain situations .Sam Tuivailala who has a big arm and could be included in a trade package to sweeten the pot.Brebbia who has done okay as a complimentary arm in the pen.Agree about Valera and Mejia.Like Mejia’s glove but too many higher ceiling guys need the spots.Martini misses out again in tight squeeze in OF.Patrick Wisdom probably gets claimed in Rule 5.
    Voit might stick around for RH bench bar/spot starter. I think Grichuk,Piscotty,Jose Martinez,Aldemys Diaz all trade bait.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I really doubt Wisdom gets claimed in the rule 5 (though not totally improbable). The guy hasn’t hit over .243 for a season since 2012. With his age, there is little hidden potential to be tapped.

Participant

Paid - Annual

CC- maybe so.e team will take a chance on Wisdom as a RH bench bat and reserve.He is 26 and plays okay 3B.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Maybe.

Even then you’d have to question whether he would stick all year. No one is going to carry Wisdom if he struggles like they have Cordoba.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

At this point I wouldn’t put it past the Padres. They’ve gotten two of our guys and kept them protected. They are not interested in competing at the moment. A big power bat off the bench could be tempting to several teams.

Participant

Free

I could definitely see Luke Voit getting removed from the 40-man (and 25) with Jose Martinez’s production.

He could stay though and start the year in AAA.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Padres go after young guys with potential. Wisdom is out of their wheelhouse.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think Voit moves off and Wisdom goes on….I dont think Wisdom makes it through Rule V… his defense at 3rd might be good enough reason to snag him for a late game defensive wiz, but add in that he can also be a power hitting righty off the bench who can also play 1b…those HRs would probably not let him get through…the defense to me makes it a no doubter

IMO Wisdom is the guy we should have up right now instead of Voit… he does the job we want out of Voit better anyways…as he can play 1b and 3b and hit for power with low average…except he adds a great arm at 3b

coudlnt we move off Voit now and add Wisdom…and nto lose Voit to Rule 5 if he passes through?

I feel like we’d have a better chance at getting Voit through waivers than we would at getting Wisdom through Rule 5

Participant

Paid - Annual

Randall Grichuk batted .235 this year and only hit 20 HR’s. Wisdom’s defense at third is as good as Grichuk’s defense in the outfield. I think he will get claimed in the Rule V draft.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If it was Wisdom over Voit for the off season 40 man, why didn’t they already make the move?

Voit could go to a team’s 40 man roster and not make the 25 man roster and stay under team control. Wisdom has to make the 25 man roster and stay there all season. A guy who probably projects to about a .225 major league hitter. Unless you have Dave Kingman power or an Ozzie Smith glove you probably aren’t going to have a permanent job with that BA. And remember, his .243 this year his highest in 5 years!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Or unless your Allen Córdoba and make the Rookie Ball jump to the show.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

But that is the big difference. Cordaba is young and has lots of upside potential. Wisdom? Not so much. Cordoba will be back in AA after his year on tge 25 man roster. Wisdom would be going back to AAA at 27. If Cordoba can’t stick in the MI, I dont see him with much of a future in any case.

Participant

Free

I wonder who else will have to be protected for the rule 5; I believe Junior Fernandez, Daniel Poncedeleon, Matt Pearce, Arturo Reyes, Kevin Herget, Trey Neilson, Anthony Garcia, Chris Ellis, Tyler Bray, Andrew Morales, Derian Gonzalez and Ian McKinney just to name a few.

I agree with CC that O’Neill, Mercado, Gomber and Seferina must be protected. San Diego is lurking a drooling over our farm system.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I do not believe Junior Fernandez needs to be protected.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would protect O’Neill,Bomber and maybe Mercado.
    Poncedeleon.Arturo Reyes,Pearce,Ellis,A. Morales,Her get,Bray,Derian Gonzalez,Anthony Garcia,Neilsen,McKinney can all take their chances .

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Anthony Garcia most likely declares himself a minor league FA after the World Series.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him (Anthony Garcia) end up in Oakland or Miami.Both are looking for young cheap OF help.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years