OF Matt Szczur signed to minors deal

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum OF Matt Szczur signed to minors deal

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

veteran RH bat with 3 plus years MLB excperience.Seems like a good guy to have as depth .Hope he would be okay with staying at Memphis as veteran depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He signed a minor league contract, so by definition he had better prepared to return to Triple-A. in fact, he hasn’t sniffed the majors since 2018.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed Bw52. He will compete with Thomas and Dean for a backup spot, but as you said, would he accept a spot in Memphis if he doesn’t make the team?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Depth???

Backup spot???

He aint worth a hoot. Why are we wasting our time with him???

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What makes you’all think Szczur has any bargaining leverage with the Cardinals as to his role? Of course he has to be prepared to play in the minors, just as he did in the last few years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only leverage he would have is if he had a really good spring but still didn’t make the big league club for whatever reason. Another organization might offer him a big league spot. Of course if he has a really good spring you would think the Cardinals would take him north.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno. There are a lot of free agents out there right now who are just looking for any kind of contract.

Last June, he was released by the Phillies as summer camp ended. Was he upset he wasn’t added and requested his release or did he not perform? With no camp game results to reference, we are left to guess.

But this isn’t a guy with a pedigree that suggests much leverage is on his side.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the Cardinals having all young guys in the OF who are mostly unproven, why wouldn’t he accept a ticket to Memphis? A hot month and an injury or struggle and he’s up. No reason to overthink this.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I notice his career OPS is 666. Yikes.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not so szur we needed another outfielder of this ilk, but who is going to question Mo after the kind of month that he has had? At this point, it wouldn’t shock me if Mr. Szczur ends up being an integral piece to our ’21 roster. While he’s hot, Mo just needs to keep making moves for the remainder of the month. A deal a day I say…….and maybe an extra one tomorrow for UCONN on Valentine’s Day.

1982 willie
    Participant

This is a wasted signing the guys we already have are as good or better. Plus he’s a former cub. Nothing to see here.

IntentionalEwok
    Participant

Free

DeWitt thought they said “Max Scherzer” 😉

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Memphis needs depth. This one is pretty simple, but don’t forget guys like Ludwick and Hazelbacker. Worse yet guys like Nelson Cruz and JD Martinez who slipped by without ever being given a shot.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So if Szczur makes the big team, does he supplant Scrabble as the Card with the most extreme consonant to vowel ratio ever?

14NyquisT
    Participant

With the Cardinals having all young guys in the OF who are mostly unproven, why wouldn’t he accept a ticket to Memphis? A hot month and an injury or struggle and he’s up. No reason to overthink this.

Stl 25 nailed it. Szczur is a lower AAAA guy. But who the hell knows.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hail Szczur!

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It seems many posters have come to bury him.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Many times these head scratchers end up bearing high hanging fruit. We can bet this was not mearly a blind shot at a dartboard in adding some outfield depth. Since our personnel decision makers are presently hitting on all cylinders, I feel pretty confident that this fellow is going to surprise. I’ve been on this site since 2006….. that’s 15 years to you, Mspaid. I’m not one to get overly giddy at the drop of a hat. But Mo & Co. have me as giddy as they come. And it goes well beyond the Arenado acquisition…..it runs much deeper than that. Especially with this virus finally on it’s way out, this promises to be one fun summer.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Look at his Milb numbers in 2019, and you’ll get all Mark Sweeney-ee. Actually Sweeney’s numbers when we acquired him from the Angels were unreal.

bccran
    Participant

Probably a decent defensive centerfielder.
    Bader type offense. AAAA.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Need somebody to teach the rest of them how to shave.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Less than Bader type offense.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe this indicates we will be keeping Thomas and one of Dean/Williams up on the roster and/or the other on the 5 man Taxi squad

Those extra taxi spots might need to be filled with guys who are ready to play but we arent worried about getting every day ABs

Also, I am not sure how much depth we have at Memphis right now…there does seem to be a little gap

STL-Bader, ONeill, Carlson, Thomas, Williams
    Taxi-Dean
    MEM- Capel, Hurst, Nootbaar, Toerner, Szczur

Szczur seems the type of guy you sign with the knowledge that you might bring him up on Taxi and possible have to throw him on the MLB roster knowing you will drop him off and probably not lose him…or if you do you sign someone else

He probably won’t hurt us but he is nothign but a bandaid

I just think you don’t want to have to call up any of the others at AAA and potentially lose them

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.