Nolan Gorman

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Gorman

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

What is the difference if the left handed power hitter plays 2nd or he plays LF? A power hitter is a power hitter and defensive ability is different than offensive ability. If the defense is best with Gorman at 2nd and Edmond in the OF, that’s the way they should play. Work Gorman at second until he shows he can’t handle it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of left handed power bat, does anyone know if Gorman falls into the Bruce/Rizzo/Carpenter/Adams LH pull hitter category that will be vulnerable to the shift at the MLB level?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like any lefty, he will likely be susceptible. Luckily, it does sound like there’s some movement to modify or ban shifts in the future, which I think is a great idea.

Here’s a fun stat regarding Mr Gorman. Per Baseball Reference, he has taken 788 PA in his two minor league seasons. Only 2 have been against pitchers younger than him, and both of those were in 2018.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We will have to disagree on banning shifts. Let hitters learn how to hit. A game is not a home run derby.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ironically, the shift is what makes the game a home run derby. Unless they find a way to limit pitchers (moving the mound back, down, something), offense is going to continue to dwindle. It’s not as simple as “learn to hit” when the average pitcher throws harder than the top 5% did 30 years ago and with more refined movement.

On Gorman specifically, I don’t see minors shift data anywhere but I know he was shifted when we saw him in spring training.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“I think Mr. Goldschmidt will be there for awhile.”

Id agree GS- but if we can say he wont be a starter in 2022 (he wont) then we are looking at 2023 and beyond with a rising % chance of him making the club.

If we take it as a given that the team is at least competitive, and also a given that gorman is hitting, the club has no real incentive to bring him up early. Also he’s 20 and could certainly personally benefit from the seasoning in the minors.

So yes if its 2023 and the club is competitive…and we have a stop gap 2B AND gorman is tearing it up, will they really want to start his clock? Not a rhetorical question…if his bat is playing all good, but if they know they have a 22 year old gem in the minors why do they bring him up?

Then its 2024, last year of goldys contract, who knows what he or gorman are doing, who knows if this is even a relevant conversation anymore? Just based on past outcomes, your odds would say its not going to be.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well assuming the NL gets the DH next year that changes everything. I would expect Gorman to be on the roster in 2022 in some capacity, but not at 1B.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years