Nolan Gorman

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Nolan Gorman

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Wherever the Cardinals assigned him he needs to rep full time in LF. He will be 21 in May and he needs to be fast-tracked to the Cardinals.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard, just the other day, many of the forum regulars had a fairly detailed exchange about Gorman and what positions he should play. I suggest you check pages 1 and 2 of the “Hurst In and Thomas Out” discussion thread.

(Your other new thread entitled “Aubrey Huff” has been closed. He is not relevant to Cardinals baseball and I view it as an attempt to take the board off topic. A refresh of this forum’s rules may be in order. They are pinned to the top of the discussion topics.)

Participant

I think that most of us are being patient with Carlson because of his potential plus he has little competition to deal with, which is a good thing. He needs the ABs and it looks like it is starting to pay off. Will Gorman go the same route? Undoubtedly he will get the same patience from the fans. The question now is 2B or OF. I think that Edman has shown enough that he can be trusted to play a solid defensive corner OF. That being said should Gorman concentrate on learning 2B or the OF. It would be advantageous for the Cards if he could become apt at both. He will force his way into playing somewhere.

Will the team be better with Edman in the OF and Gorman at 2B?…. TBD. Either way it looks like it will be the future in our lineup. So Edman doesn’t hit with enough power for a corner spot…. we’ll have a 2B that hits like one.

ps. The organization should be wary of with all of that concentration on playing different positions it doesn’t affect his offense.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Your last point is my biggest concern, NY. Gorman started learning second base this past off-season, while continuing to remain sharp at third. Trying to add left and/or right field, which each have their own nuances, on top of second and third, could be asking too much at once. As you noted, his claim to success is his hitting and that must develop, too.

The Cardinals staff are in the best position to watch what is happening and adjust as needed. From here, we are just guessing what might be best for the TEAM. We have no way of knowing what is best for Gorman. Both are important.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with the sentiment of learning to hit against the high minors pitching first before messing with his position a lot. 2B and 3B is plenty for now.

I think Edman and Bader could end up splitting time in CF and Gorman with Edman at 2B long term. Gorman (or anyone, really) could fill in the rest of his PA at DH next year if he needs to. It’s not like starting his career as a part time DH is some sort of shame. The Cards have Gold Glove caliber defense at 3B, SS and 1B already and 2B is pretty good too with Edman. Carlson eventually settles into RF or LF if we end up with a high end guy who fits either position.

Participant

Free

2B is pretty good too with Edman

Yes I think he came in 2nd.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He badly mispronounced “outfield”… 😉

Participant

Free

He like with most of the minors guys needs some tick against other players. This is key in is developing into a ML player. He needs abs.

I feel bad for all the players who lost a season. My nephew lost it and when he got put on the 6th grade team was completely lost. He’s wasn’t a baseball player and when he was coming off the bench he didn’t like it and quit. He needed a summer of ball and lost it. He is the starting 2 and point on the A and B teams in 6th grade.

This pandemic has killed development for not only minors players but all people who play the game. We should exercise patience with some of our younger players IMO amd let them grow.

Participant

Free

We don’t need Gorman at 2B…our need is at LF with a LH power hitter.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Teams don’t move players around the diamond willy nilly just to please fans. There are too many variables to consider even before the common sense fact that moving your best prospect from a premium infield position to the least on the defensive spectrum is just wrong. What if Arenado opts out? What if someone gets hurt? How about if Goldy ages badly? How will the DH affect things?

Could the brass move Gorman to LF? Sure…but doing so would be a poor sign for Gorman’s future, IMO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to the Cardinals, Gorman is playing 3B and 2B. That is all that matters.

Participant

Free

Not as far as am concerned it isn’t. Move him to a position of need and 3rd or 2B isn’t.

Participant

Arenado-Goldscmidt-Edman aren’t going anywhere soon. If you want to put Edman in the OF full-time that’s a good option IMO. O’Neill is starting to show some value. Carlson-O’Neill-Edman would be a good OF offensively and defensively and that would open up 2B for Gorman. So Bader, no matter what he does at the plate, becomes expendable.

All of this is contingent on Gorman’s progress.

Participant

Free

Edman is a 2B first and foremost and that is where he should stay. Outfield especially LF is where we need a power hitter IMO a LH hitter. Nolan Gorman fits that profile and where the Cardinals should be grooming him to play. This shouldn’t be hard to understand but to some it seems to be.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pigeonholing Edman to one position hasn’t happened yet, in his three season mlb career, and it would be senseless by the brass not to utilize his versatility. Edmans versatility will always be in play.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still don’t get why we can’t have both Edman and Gorman moving around a bit. They could do an even split at 2B, with Gorman playing 10-20 games filling in for Goldy and Arenado and then DHing 30-50 times. Edman could then play 30-50 games in CF or RF, 10 times filling in at SS and maybe DH a few times himself. Both guys end up with 500 or more PAs then.

This is like saying that we shouldn’t consider trading for Brandon Nimmo (or insert your favorite high OBP guy) because we have Tommy Edman as a leadoff man. Just because we have a good player doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to improve. An Edman-Gorman platoon at 2B could provide better than average defense overall with an elevated average (Edman’s specialities) and plenty of pop (Gorman’s speciality). Who wouldn’t take a .270 average and .350 OBP with 30 HRs and above average D from your 2B spot, and who would care of that came from a platoon and not just one player?

Participant

Free

We appear to have solved the 2b problem with Edman so why screw around with it? Let him play a season (unless he suddenly falls apart), let him get comfortable and just be happy. Gorman is the one who will need to adjust.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CiF, I don’t think anyone is expecting Gorman to push Edman this year, and maybe he doesn’t make it to MLB at all in 2021. I think that pondering the future is fine. Edman is a good solid ballplayer at 2B. Gorman has star potential, especially with the bat. He’s also likely to be landlocked at 3B and 1B, which would be his two most natural positions. So the discussion is on what position in 2022, 2023 and beyond it makes sense to get Gorman comfortable with so as to get his bat in the lineup.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Re: “2B problem”

Edman the problem solver, and really that’s been his usage at mlb.

We recently walked away from our leadoff 2Bman in Wong, Edman is fixing that. We had multiple injuries in the OF to open the season, again Edman to the rescue. We were seeing tooo much of Carpenter at 3B in 2019 and 2020, just send Edman over there. Fowler went DL again, put Edman out there. He’s Mr. Fix It, for our manager.

Participant

Free

Edman is versatile and I am good with him playing multiple positions but his best position is 2nd base. The Cardinals need Gorman to be a left fielder because we need a left-handed power-hitting there. We have an infield that is set but an outfield that has holes in it.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

The FO knows more than i do, but i dont get the gorman 2b stuff, at least not this year. Higher floor i guess? But somebody has to play 1b, and id be shocked if we didnt have DH after this next mlbpa/mlb negotiation. If he proves himself with his bat we will find room. He hasnt, not even close.

Gorman just as likely as jordan walker? Who knows, hes done nothing short of rookie ball to prove he can be a major league player. Just saying, his rope will be longer than others but he still has to actually hit in the minors.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’m with the crowd that wants to see Gorman in LF rather than 2B or 3B. Seems like we are locked in there for years with Edman and Arenado.

I’m of the old Whitey Herzog school of thought – I want a 2Bman playing 2nd, not a Leftfielder or a 3Bman, etc.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman just as likely as jordan walker? Who knows, hes done nothing short of rookie ball to prove he can be a major league player. Just saying, his rope will be longer than others but he still has to actually hit in the minors.

For sure he has to get there, but Gorman was better at both levels at the same age as Dylan Carlson. Guys who do that well at that young age tend to have much better outcomes. I liken it to a guy who graduates high school early and and plays better than average college football as a 17 and 18 year old. Maybe it doesn’t seem impressive, but it is.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Gorman hit 30 HRs in the minors this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The FO knows more than i do, but i dont get the gorman 2b stuff, at least not this year. Higher floor i guess? But somebody has to play 1b

I think Mr. Goldschmidt will be there for awhile.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My thinking on Gorman is along the same lines as it has been with Carlson. There is a big difference between the Texas League and MLB, and an even bigger one between A ball and MLB. My plan would be to see what he does with AAA pitching and then re-think where his bat might play in MLB.

A possible thought with the 2B thing is that the Cards do tend to move on from players they liked just fine making minimum but have gotten into arb eligible status and an eventual contract is looming. Edman will be there after this year. Obviously, his good performance so far is in his favor, but there are a lot of games left to play. The brains might be playing it forward not knowing how that will shake out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years