NL Wild Card thread: Tue 10/1 Brewers at Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum NL Wild Card thread: Tue 10/1 Brewers at Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pomeranz has made himself a decent bit of change with his late season performance. Or at least compared to what he was heading for after flaming out as a starter this season. I’m guessing he will get 2-3 years this offseason at $5-7M a year. Or perhaps one year at a higher value to try to build some equity as a valuable lefty reliever.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hader is coming in the clise it out. May be in for 2 innings I’m guessing.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Chin music first pitch

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks like Hader can’t get the ball down.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hader is wild. Breaking pitch is way off. He hits Taylor to put him on 1B with one out in the 8th. Shades of Andrew Miller.

Now Hader Ks Turner for the second out. Zimmerman pinch hitting. Game is getting tense.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nats batters swingin’ like JMart. Love those high balls

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Thats what happens when you walk the bases loaded. Base hit scores 3 runs. Error on Brewers in outfield assisted. Now 4-3 Nats. Could see that coming?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Nats take the lead 4-3 but their bullpen is like the Cards lineup, lackluster at best.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brewers gagged in the 8th. Hader was all over the place and Grisham made a terrible error on a Soto single allowing the go-ahead run to score. Score 4-3 in the 9th and Hudson in to save it.

Jbcardsr1
    Participant

Free

Brutal error

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Nats hold on for the win. Not a good last four days Hader.

Game 1 start in Atlanta will be 5:02 EST.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What a terrible week for the Brewers. Lost the chance at the division, then home field for the wild card, then the wild card game itself.

I feel badly for Trent Grisham. The margin between success and failure can be very thin.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Guess I’m not winning $250k from mlb.com… 😕

1982 willie
    Participant

that was a great move bringing Strasburg in to relieve, gave them a chance. doesn’t set them up for LA very well but you got to get there to have a chance. bad play by the guy in right field. it did kind take a spin back but you have to keep it in front of you. as far as he had to run to get there, he had no chance with 2 outs to get the runner at the plate. something he should realize but he is young. bader was just wild and really only had his fast ball working. I feel a little bad for him since he had blown the save the other day but its baseball. the Washington franchise getting their first win in a winner move on contest was nice. good for Zimmerman whose been there a while though hes a little diminished now but he did get an important hit.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

The Brewers had the lead until late in all four games.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a great finish to the season for the Brewers, but I don’t mind it too much. The Nats and Dodgers should be a very good series. I think those teams are a lot more even than it would appear at first glance.

Milwaukee will need to be creative in the off-season and find some more pitching. Depending on a lights out bullpen only works so long, and this season it sort of bit them. I’d expect them to win around 82-84 games next year with no improvements.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m still alive and kicking for that 250-large. At the risk of coming across cocky, that coin is as good as in my bank account and drawing interest as we speak. It should go without saying that I would gladly leave that money on the table if I were to somehow go astray and be incorrect with my Braves over Birds prediction.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Just how many saves did Hader blow this season? He looked pretty wild last night and when he did get one across the plate they looked like meatballs to the batters. You can blame the loss on the RF-Grisham but actually Hader is the one who has let the team down consistently in the past few games – the most important of the season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A real choke job by Hader and the RF. I feel bad for that kid as well. The Brewers had control of that game and poof it all went away in a hurry. Usually it is the Nats who choke in the playoffs. Oh well good luck against the Dodgers. You will need it.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Nationals got here without Harper and the Phillies who got him didn’t. Padres with Machado and their top 5 farm system didn’t either. Are we sure we wanted those guys.

I was suprised to see Hader in the 8th. He hasn’t got out of the 9th lately. A two inning save seemed like a long shot to me. Even the games he has saved lately he got hit pretty hard.

Looks like a lot of bullpens hitting the wall at this time in the season.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Are we sure we wanted those guys.

I didn’t want them last year — especially considering the contracts it would’ve taken to get them.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<SoonerinNC wrote: I was suprised to see Hader in the 8th. He hasn’t got out of the 9th lately. A two inning save seemed like a long shot to me. Even the games he has saved lately he got hit pretty hard.>

I was also surprised. Hader has not been very successful lately and has blown more than his fair share of saves. I will be happy to not have to see Counsell’s game of using openers and relying on Hader to wrap it up. Me thinks the Brewers beer can has a leak in it. But I don’t think the Nats will touch the Dodgers either. Strasburg based on 5 days rest cannot pitch until Game 3 but that will be in Washington. He sure looked good last night. I like that the Cards beat both Strasburg and Sherzer.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Nats win keeps me going in the $250K as well. I picked the Rays in the upcoming game, so we will see how that one plays out.

Can’t see the games (no cable) but watched the condensed version on mlb.tv. Looks like Hader was a little gassed at the end here, and left some balls up that did not have the same movement he gets earlier in the year. He was vulnerable in the Rockies’ series and last night. Milwaukee made a great run, but then lost their last four.

But had Yelich been there, the Crew might have won as you would think he makes that play in right field and keeps the ball in front of him. Plus who knows what he may have done on offense.

Good for Washington though. Those fans were really into it.

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

BRIAN: “I feel badly for Trent Grisham. The margin between success and failure can be very thin”

He will be Milwaukee’s Bill Buckner for year to come, and that’s deserved. There was no reason for him to take his eyes off the ball there. The bases were loaded, everybody running so the play is to the plate. Anywhere else 2 runs score.

Unlike Buckner, his gaff was mental.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.