NL Wild Card thread: Tue 10/1 Brewers at Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum NL Wild Card thread: Tue 10/1 Brewers at Nats

This topic contains 51 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PugsleyAddams 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:08 p.m. CT, Pitchers TBA, TBS // ESPN Radio

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Max Scherzer is pitching for Washington.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On another thread, bikemike expressed concern about tonight’s 8 pm ET start time for the locals. Here is my reply.

During the season, Nats evening home games started at 7:05. The big issue for local fans is if the game runs long. The Metro’s last train times can present a problem for those taking public transportation.

As you already know, game times are not set for the convenience of locals. An 8 PM ET start is just 5 PM on the West Coast and its millions of potential viewers. Maximizing ratings matter most.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Metro announced they will extend their schedule tonight for fans attending the wild card game.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good news for those affected. Thanks.

The Nats announced their WC roster. Interesting that they include Strasburg along with Max. I guess it would be for an extreme emergency.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My guess is that we have to go for the Nats to win. They have a better chance of knocking the Dodgers out of it. Right?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s hard to imagine the Brewers taking this one unless Scherzer has a bad game. I’m sure they will pull out all the stops and have Strasburg ready to go in relief. That’s a tough combo but I guess we beat both of them in our last series so it is possible.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Tthe Cards’ records against the other playoff teams this season were as follows:

10-9 vs Brewers
    4-3 vs LA
    5-2 vs Nats
    2-4 vs Braves

Evidently, the Cards would be better off in the wild card game. šŸ˜‰

Not that it means much now, but here are the Dodger’s records against the two wild card teams this year:

4-3 vs Nats
    4-3 vs Brewers

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hey I found a game thread, my fingers were getting restless. I’m taking the Brew Crew tonight. They really gave us a tough run for the Central. Got to hand that to them. Already up 2 on the Nats!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Brewers take a 2-0 lead on a Grandal HR off Scherzer.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brewers go up 3-0 on Thames’ HR in the 2nd.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Woodruff has a lively arm tonight. How many innings does he have?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, Thames is built like a linebacker, or like a few guys I saw at my local gym this morning. The proverbial ā€œblock of graniteā€.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Trea Turner makes it 3-1 with a solo shot in the 3rd.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Typical modern era game (2019 especially) – the runs all score on home runs, with walk mixed in here or there.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I don’t like it. I prefer Tommy Edman’s brand of baseball…speed, using the whole field, triples with some HR’s.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m rooting for the Brewers…. if the Cards can pull off beating ATL, I’d rather have a 30% chance of facing the Brewers vs a 40% chance of having to go through Max, Stras and Corbin in a 7 game series.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The 5th inning was a real grind for Scherzer, but the Brewers don’t score and it remains 3-1.

Now the Brewers have to go to their pen.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is no tomorrow. Strasburg is in to relieve.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Nats go to their pen after 77 MadMax tosses

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I didn’t realize the Brewers had moved Cain out of the leadoff spot…

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didnā€™t realize the Brewers had moved Cain out of the leadoff spotā€¦

He really wasn’t very good this year. He had a bit of a Carpenter-ish year, although of course with better defense. Or maybe Bader is a better way to look at it, as they had about the same value.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brewers couldn’t have asked for more to this point. Score is 3-1 and they’ll use Pomeranz again in the 7th to set up Hader for a 2-inning save.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Strasbourg has some unreal pitches. Tailing fastball. Plunging curves. Moving sliders. The guys really good. Caine made some crazy catches playing the Rockies when we were trying to clinch.Thames hit 2 homers in one game last week too. I wouldn’t want to face Strasburgh. Maybe we can get him next year?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsā„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years