New BA Top 100 Prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum New BA Top 100 Prospects

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

The BA mid season Top 100 Prospect list just came out –

#8 – Walker
    #36 – Liberatore
    #67 – Winn
    #75 – Burleson
    #76 – Graceffo
    #90 – Herrera
    #95 – Hence

Have you ever seen 7 Cardinals on a Top 100 list?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That 2020 draft was one for the ages, Walker, Winn, Burleson, and Hence, all in the Top 100, plus up-and-coming LJ Jones, and the still promising (IMHO) Ian Bedell.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Winn and Libby should switch spots on this list.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe around 2012 or 2013 the Cards had something similar? But not any other time that I can think of in recent memory. Not only that, but several of those guys have some helium and could be a fair bit higher by the spring.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Great to see that, thanks for sharing. Why are they limiting Hence so much? Even ramping up 5-10 pitches per outing would seem to be a normal “ramp up”.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe we should keep Gomez in mind also.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Have you ever seen 7 Cardinals on a Top 100 list?

Yes.

I don’t track in-season changes but in the off-season rankings, the most recent time was 2018 when John Sickels had seven Cards in the top 100 and nine in his top 104.

26 Alex Reyes
    50 Jack Flaherty
    71 Carson Kelly
    85 Andrew Knizner
    92 Harrison Bader
    97 Tyler O’Neill
    99 Adolis Garcia

102 Yairo Munoz
    104 Dakota Hudson

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’ll bet a lot of Card fans were excited about that ’18 list. Only Knizner is on our active list now. Not very surprising to me as. Let’s see how our ’22 prospects turn out four years from now. I’ll get back here in ’26 to go over the ’22 list.

How many do you feel will still be on the Card’s active list 7/12/26?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Really hard to predict injuries, but we should also keep in mind that trades of prospects can help the team in other ways. For example, having Goldy over Kelly (plus others) looks pretty good…

bccran
    Participant

Just an opinion, but I would think that Walker, Winn, and Hence are pretty much untouchable.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT

I’ll bet a lot of Card fans were excited about that ’18 list. Only Knizner is on our active list now. Not very surprising to me as. Let’s see how our ’22 prospects turn out four years from now. I’ll get back here in ’26 to go over the ’22 list.

How many do you feel will still be on the Card’s active list 7/12/26?

Of course, Hudson was 104, while O’Neill, Bader, Reyes, and Flaherty are injured.

Go look at our pre-2018 top 50 list. It is stacked with MLers. I think I counted something like 20-30 that became more than cup of coffee players. It was a crazy deep and talented prospect list.

The top 15 all became productive major leaguers (other than Knizner maybe) Then, other than Delvin Perez, everyone in the top 30 or so also are in the majors.

Beyond the top 15 and traded guys like Gallen, Alcantara, Arozarena, and Gomber, we had guys like Carlson, Edman, Voit, Oviedo, Wisdom, Wick, and Woodford.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

McGreevy isn’t even on the new list, and at this point I’d definitely rank GG ahead of him but I do think McGreevy could turn into a very nice mid rotation guy. Maybe a rich mans Hudson? Aka Hudson is Pizza Hut and McGreevy is Lou Malnatis. Gallen and Alcantara turned into Pequads deep dish.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Heres how players in the 2018 ranking were acquired compared to how players in the 2022 ranking were acquired. Wouldn’t that be something if they could pull off another draft like that 2020 draft!

2018 top 100

Reyes – signed as free agent in 2012
    Flaherty – 2014 draft
    Carson Kelly – 2012 draft
    Knizner – 2016 draft
    Bader – 2015 draft
    O’Neill – acquired by trade in 2017
    Adolis Garcia – signed as free agent in 2017

2022 Top 100

Walker – 2020 draft
    Liberatore – acquired by trade in 2020
    Winn – 2020 draft
    Burleson – 2020 draft
    Graceffo – 2021 draft
    Herrera – signed as free agent in 2018
    Hence – 2020 draft

2020 draft (players not yet ranked)

LJ Jones – 2020 draft (Looks like LJ is up and coming.)
    Ian Bedell – 2020 draft (https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/ian-bedell)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that prospects like Donovan, Gorman, and Yepez have graduated, but yet are valuable young players who would all be top 100s if eligible.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

New top 100 prospects is out:

Pretty si,Olaf to last list. Although thought Graceffo may have dropped off the current list, but I honestly think he may be tiring after 100 plus innings and jumping all the way to AA.

7 Walker
    62 Winn
    63 Hence
    72 Burleson
    73 Graceffo
    79 Liberatore
    93 Herrera

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing, C27. Compared to last month, a big jump up for Hence and corresponding big fall for Liberatore.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t tell anything about Hence yet, too low in the system.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I don’t disagree with the guys on the list, but the order I’m not sold on. I’d have Herrera right around Winn.

I agree BB. He’s putting up video game numbers, but how/why he hasn’t ramped up a bit more by August 9th is confusing, and I’ve yet to find an answer.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I’ve heard a lot of people predict good things for LJ Jones. The stats aren’t that great. What am I missing? To me, the best indicator that a guy is going to “take off” is a good bb/k ratio and that isn’t great. Nor is he “big” as he is listed at just 6’0″. I know he missed time in college due to injury. Hoping you guys are seeing something firsthand.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Others who see big things will have to speak for themselves, but Jones fell off our Cardinals Top 50 last season.

bccran
    Participant

Jones was raved about by his college coach. He’s one of those dark horses who’s hitting either #3 or #4 in one of the full season lineups.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand why Hence hasn’t been allowed to ramp up to a higher pitch count? I have read where he has a very high swing and miss rate in all of the low minors.
    By now, he should have had his endurance tested. If and when he pitches more to weak contact, he could be an electric starter. Also, it’s a shame he can’t be seen on Milbtv, as Palm Beach doesn’t have video broadcasts.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what his ETA might be at best? Late 2024?

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you want to see a fast-tracker….. take a look at Paniagua. I keep a close eye on him.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I went to a Peoria game a couple of weeks ago. Jones is not very tall but he has a big build. Very solid base and the ball comes off his bat a little harder than most of the A+ hitters. I wasn’t completely impressed but he looked to have the best chance to get to the majors of the Peoria players.

As a side note, Robert Hassell (top 50 MLB prospect) played for Fort Wayne in that game. He did not impress me all that much. He must be one the people who make the game look easy and is smooth in his play. Nothing he did stood out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve yet to come across a draft pick whose college coach didn’t rave about him. That has no relevance whatsoever to MLB potential.

Jones has been the DH in the vast majority of his starts this season, which makes his MLB hill taller. Of course, that doesn’t mean he can’t make it someday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.