MLB Trade Rumors latest free agent rankings. Who ya got?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Trade Rumors latest free agent rankings. Who ya got?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

MLB Trade Rumors latest free agent rankings. Who ya got?

Carlos Correa – SS – R/R – Injury history
    Corey Seager – SS – L/R – Injury history
    Kris Bryant – Inf/OF – R/R – St louis is boring, lol
    Trevor Story – SS – R/R – Starting to get hot after slow start.
    Freddie Freeman – 1B – L/L – HMMMM, see below.
    Kevin Gausman – SP – Lefty – Career year?
    Marcus Simien – SS – R/R-
    Marcos Stroman – SP – Righty – Nice #2/3
    Robby Ray – SP – Lefty – Odd comeback year statistically
    Nick Castellanos – DH – R/R – Only as a DH.

Others mentioned
    Max Sherzer – SP – Righty – Defying Father Time
    Carlos Rodon – SP – Lefty – Don’t see it
    Chris Taylor – 2B – R/R – Underated
    Javier Baez – SS- R/R – Hard to figure out
    Michael Conforto – OF – L/R – Off Year?
    Starling Marte – OF – R/R – Dependable
    Zack Greinke – SP – Righty – Defying Father Time
    AJ Pollock – OF – R/R – Underrated

I would want a lefty bat(OF/DH), a starter and an infielder. I know, not much right? (Maybe throw in a relief pitcher, lol.)

Freddie Freeman, could you talk 2 30+ first basement to coexist switching off as 1B/DH?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Semien, Ray, Castellanos. That would work.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seager, Ray, Conforto, Scherzer. In order of preference. Pick a combo of two. Would probably cost $50-60M.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only two on that list that interests me are Scherzer and Taylor but I don’t expect the Cardinals to sign any of them.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only two on that list that interests me are Scherzer and Taylor but I don’t expect the Cardinals to sign any of them.

I don’t quite get the take. If anything, it should be apparent to the brass that the trade and sign approach hasn’t produced anything better than the previous “sign the mid tier FA” approach. If the CBA is resolved, I expect the Cards to nab at least one first tier free agent. With Yadi and Waino off the books soon, Mikolas as well, really there’s only Goldy and Arenado after 2023 who will cost real money. For Dewitt to tighten the purse strings will mean an admission that the team won’t be contending anytime soon…which would be odd given the status of Goldy, Arenado, Flaherty and others.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

They won’t do squat and will say the bad attendance is the reason they have no $$

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Watching Angels and Orioles today. It doesn’t look like there are more than 2 or 3 thousand fans at the game. This is going to be a very interesting offseason. There will be players looking for the kind of megacontracts that have become the norm, and a players union that feels like it’s been betrayed in past negotiations and is, therefor, hell bent on forcing the owners to give into their demands. Demands for what? Well more money, of course.

BTW, the lowly Orioles are trouncing the big spending Angels today.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t quite get the take.

My take is that they might sign a mid level player or two to strengthen the depth but they aren’t going to go after the big names because of stated revenue issues. The only exception would be if they could trade the Mikolas and DeJong contracts but I can’t imagine either one of those of players would have much trade value.

Also, ask yourself when was the last time the Cardinals signed an elite free agent that wasn’t previously on the roster? I am usually not in the nate camp but I may have to agree with him this time.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

They are going to bank on rebound years for some players. Arenado, Goldschmidt, Hudson, Flaherty, Mikolas and perhaps better offensive years from Edman, Carlson, and DeJong. That is if they keep DeJong.

In other words, they are going to take the “FINGERS ARE CROSSED” approach to 2022.

r/Esteemed Rat

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Id love for someone to guess stomans contract correctly- that could be anywhere…$ years wise

I still like scherzer- and i think it’s possible only bc it might fall in our lap due to his age and recent IR history.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure on Stroman. I would say around 3 years $55M.

I don’t think Scherzer will fall into our lap. The Dodgers, Padres, Giants, and Angels among others will be all over him. We will have to win a bidding war which isn’t likely.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

I dont doubt close to 8-10 club’s ability and willingness to get max- i just feel like we will be more competitive because they will see dollars better spent elsewhere. I dont know that many clubs will want to go 3 years on scherzer. We probably would. Hell if the aav is low enough 4 would surprise me.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At the trade deadline he supposedly stated a preference to go to the west coast. I don’t know if that will be the case in 2022 or not but I do know that those 4 teams I mentioned have plenty of money and the willngness to spend it. He isn’t going to sign in St. Louis just because it is his hometown.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

I agree 100% scott-haven’t heard anything about stl affinity and ive tried to find something

Will just be interesting to see if we can land him or if he wants a trevor bauer style contract for a year- which will obviously put us out of the running. Im still going to say someone gives him 3 yrs and he takes it- just a guess.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At the major league level we need a SS, CF, DH and 2 starting pitchers, a manager, hitting coach and pitching coach.

In the upper levels of the minors we will be needing more pitchers than we have again, so maybe that can be worked on over the winter.

They need to fix whatever is responsible for the shortage of talent throughout the system. I don’t know what that is.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

What about a GM? Perhaps that’s the talent evaluation problem.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. The Mo train went off a cliff at some point. My personal opinion is it started down hill when Luhnow and smart computers left.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Im still going to say someone gives him 3 yrs and he takes it- just a guess.

I agree. I think Max will get 3 years $75M but I will be surprised if it is the Cardinals.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My prediction oncontracts for the top guys, assuming the CBA dispute doesn’t kill season.

Carlos Correa 7 years, $190M
    Corey Seager 7 years, $200M
    Kris Bryant 6 years, $160M
    Trevor Story 6 years, $165M
    Freddie Freeman 5 years, $130M
    Kevin Gausman 5 years, $125M
    Marcus Simien 5 years, $110M
    Marcos Stroman 5 years, $120M
    Robby Ray 5 years, $120M
    Nick Castellanos 3 years, $50M

Max Sherzer 2 years, $55M
    Carlos Rodon 4 years, $80M
    Chris Taylor 4 years, $64M
    Javier Baez 5 years, $110M
    Michael Conforto 5 years, $100M if he wants that long a deal, might accept a pillow deal
    Starling Marte 3 years, $45M
    Zack Greinke 1 year, $15M
    AJ Pollock 2 years, $28M
    Clayton Kershaw 3 years, $75M

14NyquisT
    Participant

Agreed. The Mo train went off a cliff at some point. My personal opinion is it started down hill when Luhnow and smart computers left.

It really revved up into the spiral when Mozeliak signed Fowler. Something he won’t be able to shake for the rest of his career. And that wasted a lot of the DeWitt $$.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

This would be a Contender… And Affordable

O’Neill = LF
    Castellanos – RF
    Goldy – 1b
    Arenado – 3B
    Simien – SS / 2B
    Carlson – CF
    Yadi -C
    Sosa – 2B / SS

Edman DH? SuperSub…. I hate the DH.

Castellanos or -Conforto, Marte, Canha
    Semien or Baez, Story, Correa—-Correa / Story too expensive

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Semien and Castellanos would be more expensive than you think. Both are having big years.

I think Chris Taylor is a good fit because of is flexibility. He can play 3B, SS, 2B, and CF. The Cardinals could use offensive help in three of those positions.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Castellanos and Simien would be awesome. My feeling is somebody will be more willing than DeWit to do a big contract this winter. But who knows. If it happened, then the question is who do you off besides Carpenter. DeJong is pretty un-off-able due to the contract. So Sosa or Edman? Is Bader’s tradability questionable being arb eligible?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

I feel like the contracts will be scaled back somewhat this years thanks to the attendance problems caused by covid. Taylor a nice player, but IMO we need a stud OF bat. Castellanos would provide that. Fowler, Carpenter, Miller, and Carlos money gone. That’s around 60 Mil there. Those two combined could maybe be had for 40-60 per. I may be dreaming but if you want a winner it’s not coming outta the farm system we have. The money needs to be spent to make this Team a contender again. ….The Dejong Contract a killer. Gonna have to keep him and hope for a hot streak. Hard to do when he’s on your bench. That’s why I was calling for Bader to be shopped at deadline during his hot streak, and was called a fool.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The other problem with Semien and Castellanos is that neither can pitch.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years