MLB Payrolls 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB Payrolls 2019

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for taking a shot at it. My focus in my question was on the action being taken to back up the point of view. As I see it, complaining and holding accountable are not the same. But maybe that is just me.

I know it does not matter to many Cardinals fans what other teams fans think, but this is going on across baseball. Just this evening, my friend Bill Shanks (my former Scout peer for the Braves, now a radio host) had a long twitter dialogue with fans upset that first-place Atlanta hasn’t done more than two signings – Donaldson and McCann – worrying that counting on prospects won’t be good enough and that ownership should be “going for it”. It is worth checking out his timeline, as you could substitute the names for Cardinals and their players (other than the first-place part!).

The business within baseball is changing, folks. The players have three years to figure out how to get a bigger share of the pie from the owners in the next CBA. That is what will drive change.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Many people dont understand that teams need salary flexability. The Cardinals are an example. If the team does well and wants to bring everyone back for 2020 the team payroll will be near 195 million. Add in 15 million for bonus and 40 man roster and other payrolls that count against the tax limit and this team is in tax territory next year. That would be without making any improvements. (And we know the team isnt going over the tax threshold!)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Nice post gsc. I agree with much of your comments.

I’m not afraid of criticism. It comes with the territory of message boards but I would remind everyone that being critical sometimes does not make that person any less of a fan.

This is a place to voice your concerns among Cardinal fans, which may be different than the way you’d talk about our team to friends that follow other teams.(which I have a bunch of). All of us guys here are wanting the Cards to succeed. So let your hair down and tell us what you are truly feeling. You’ll get scolded by some die-hards here who have opposing thoughts, but I for one know where you are coming from. If I see a “gscott” comment, I’m all in on reading it.

ps… I disagree with some of your thoughts and have replied several times saying so, but generally I see you as a Cards first guy who wants to trade our prospects to bolster the big team. That is your view on doing business. I get that, but don’t want others to take up that cause.
    pps… I’m glad that you are slowly getting into the Card’s farm system. You won’t be disappointed.

PadsFS
    Participant

There might not be much to fight over by then in a sense.

IMO, the next recession is going to severely hit pro sports attendance. Now that Hulu/Netflix/Amazon have all gone mainstream, I could see the TV deals dry up for these teams too. College basketball is seeing a major hit to attendance this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mr. Jeter’s head must be so high in the clouds that the thin air is affecting his thinking. If you trade away all your good players, even your fans figure out that you are not going to win.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

How is that article not satire? Wow.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Somewhat thinking out loud here. If I was a hands on type owner and wanted to be respected for my baseball knowledge I think I would have little incentive to have one of the highest team payrolls in the game.Seriously, what is the fun in winning if the way you are accomplishing it is just by outspending the other guy. Much more satisfaction in winning with a lower payroll even if you dont win as often.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, to your earlier point about teams having a longer than one-year payroll planning horizon, Forbes’ baseball business guy Maury Brown talks here about teams having five-year windows.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Goold’s chat today:

Q: why did the Cardinals not try to get one more bat to try to Division champs?

A: Because they feel they have a team that could win the division right now. Because they didn’t like the price (length of contract) for the players that are out there. That’s why. That’s their view. You don’t have to agree with it. I don’t think you’re going to change their view — outside of choosing another team to support, or another form of entertainment that would lessen their revenue.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-chat-derrick-goold-live-from-spring-training-at-p/article_51210080-d3c6-5604-b4ae-d3e25d8c720c.html

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The FO thought the same thing the past 3 seasons. How’d that work out for them?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The team on paper looks good minus RF. I don’t think we can afford slow starts from Carpenter and Wong. The concern is the FO hasn’t (and I’ve used this term the last 3 years) Hedged their bets and make it a no brainer.

Honestly I think they should offer Kimbrel a 3 year deal with a 4th year option heavy on the decline part. Give him his money and if you don’t then you move Reyes (like I suggested last year) into a Kenley role. Bullpen is a concern even with an addition of Miller.

I don’t think we’re out on Kimbrel btw. I think were very much in based on the money Dewitt threw to Holland right before the season. If he was willing to throw $14 million on a one year deal for a declining reliever then what’s stopping him to add $4 million and a couple years for a guy who’s been an elite closer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his chat, Goold shared that the Cards do not want to spend on closers due to their volatility. They gambled on Holland anyway and lost, which strengthened their resolve to not do it again. That is what he reported, anyway.

PadsFS
    Participant

I would almost take a bet that O’Neill can outproduce just about any other RFer in the NL next year except for Christian Yelich (perhaps Polanco of the Pirates and Nimmo of the Mets too). Franmil Reyes is good too, but his defense hasn’t rated high so far (I haven’t seen him play)

Beyond O’Neill, we know Jose Martinez could put up a 2.0-2.5 WAR season in RF and we hope that Fowler can return to his productive days so I don’t think there’s a great deal of uncertainty in RF.

I’m more worried about Bader going through a slump. He hit .264 with a BABIP of .358. That is a large gap for such a good BABIP. Molina had a .264 BABIP and a .261 BA. I don’t care for our potential CF backups in the event Bader loses his hitting unless O’Neill can handle himself in CF on a regular basis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Keep an eye on Lane Thomas this spring. If he steps up, he could become the top CF reserve in the not-too-distant future.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.