Minor league thread – Tue 5/28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Tue 5/28

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. San Antonio, Evan Kruczynski (0-0, 6.30) 6:35 CT.
    Springfield vs. Tulsa, Williams Perez (4-2, 5.13) 6:30 CT.
    Palm Beach vs. Daytona, Alex Reyes (0-0, 1.80) 5:30 CT.
    Peoria vs. Kane County, Diego Cordero (2-3, 2.61) 6:35 CT.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As already mentioned Edman played his first pro career game in the OF during that stay at home Memorial Day twin bill. (speaking of stay at home… only 3,267 showed up).

Shrock also played an OF game which was his fourth there. Originally a 2B only player, he has played 20 games (18 starts) at 3B and only 5 at 2B. At 5’9″ Schrock doesn’t project well as a corner player but the MEM roster is loaded with middle infielders so he gets playing time elsewhwere. Maybe he should acquire a catcher’s mitt.

The Redbirds are also having problems. Since their last off day they are 2-11. Where did our AAA championship team disappear to? You can count on your hand how many prospects there are showing some good progress this season.

And we all know how Springfield is making out.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

You can count on your hand how many prospects there are showing some good progress this season.

The minor league teams are disappointing, and markedly so. But for me, plenty of individuals have raised their stock in a significant way.

Dylan Carlson has gone from borderline top 100 to definite overall top 40. Nolan Gorman from top 60 to top 30 or so. Ivan Herrera from roughly #140 to a certain top 100, likely in the 70-80 range. (No one nationally is talking about Herrera, but get these parallels/comparisons. He’s exactly the same age as Gorman, has a great pre-2019 track record just like Gorman, will have more defensive value than Gorman if he sticks at catcher, and is walking more and whiffing less than Gorman against the same pitchers this year. If he had the glove of fellow backstop Julio Rodriguez, Ivan Herrera would already be a top 50 prospect, and easily so.)

And speaking of Julio Rodriguez, he’s still 21 and the best player in the Florida State League so far. So he’s leaped from top 350-400 to borderline top 100 for me. Others to have moved up meaningfully are Tommy Edman, Lars Nootbaar, Justin Toerner, and Brady Whalen. None of that quartet threatens a reasonable top 100 list, but they all rate top 300 for me now. Maybe top 200 for Tommy.

On the pitching side there’s Angel Rondon, Johan Oviedo, Diego Cordero, and despite his recent struggles Jesus Cruz. And this is top-of-my-head. I’m sure there have been other breakouts I’m not recalling just now, Ny. Especially pitchers.

I would say that the farm system overachievers and underachievers have balanced out quite evenly thus far. But the truly ugly bullpens at both Memphis and Springfield have cost those teams innumerable contests, and made the overall farm system look terrible on many nights.

One last note: Carlson, Herrera, and Gorman may be hitting even better this year than their excellent numbers imply. They have combined for a home OPS just above .770 this year, but a road OPS over 1.000.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree Bob. W-L records for minor league teams can be misleading and sometimes irrelevant. Their number one job is player development. Minor league teams have so many players constantly coming and going the team concept is sometimes hard to materialize. I’m sure each local affiliate wants to win games to please their local fans but the big picture is player development, and as you noted, we have several in the pipeline to feel good about.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Reyes pitches well tonight. If he is pitching well, he could make a big difference to our starting staff.
    Also, I never did get why Helsley wasn’t moved back into the Memphis rotation earlier. I know you want to be careful because of his injury last year, but why shouldn’t he be starting at AAA say a month ago? He is a top prospect, and can always be called up to the STL bullpen.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note: An inherited runner later scored, closing Reyes’ book at three runs, one earned.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note: An inherited runner later scored, closing Reyes’ book at three runs, one earned.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

As one who is relatively uninformed on the minors, what is holding Dylan Carlson back from being promoted to AAA Memphis? He leads Springfield in practically every category of stat – BA, R, HR, RBI and SB. So I guess there is someone at Memphis who is better. Removing him from Springfield would probably make it look like a total T-ball team anyway.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems to me that the Cardinals minor league management is trending towards multiple inning use of it’s relievers. 2 to 3 inning outings have been common. Escobar and Fernandez have been used this way, as Fernandez had an almost perfect 3 inning stint last night. The only reason I can think of is that Peoria’s bullpen is very green, and outside of Palm Beach, the top 2 affiliates bullpens have done little more than chuck Molotov cocktails.

Btw, Fernandez is quietly having a very good start to his season. Perhaps he is finally developed a secondary pitch to go with his high octane fastball. He may be in line for another promotion, and possibly a 40 man roster spot if can keep this up.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A system wide pitching and hitting funk.Memphis pitching has been terrible…..now the hitters are slumping….its a mess.The kids who moved to the big club have left a void that hasnt been filled yet. -Carlson,Montero and some others are adjusting to AA ball so that's a positive .Montero cant stay healthy though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Monteros recent injury isn’t that serious since they haven’t put him on the IL.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To MM3, Carlson hasn’t even been at Double-A for two months yet. Plenty of time for him ahead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years