Minor league thread – Sun 8/11

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sun 8/11

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Fresno, Chris Ellis (3-5, 7.49) 7:05 CT.
    Springfield vs. Arkansas, Angel Rondon (4-4, 3.12) 6:10 CT.
    Palm Beach vs. Clearwater, Diego Cordero (1-4, 4.17) 12:00 pm CT.
    Peoria vs. Clinton, Logan Gragg (0-1, 3.68) 5:05 CT.
    State College at Williamsport, Junior Gonzalez (2-3, 5.63) 4:05 CT.
    Johnson City vs. Bluefield, Wilfredo Pereira (2-1, 2.42) 4:00 CT.
    GCL Cards vs. GCL Astros, TBA 9:00 CT.
    DSL off

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Memphis Birds were on the road Sunday and received homers from infielders Edmundo Sosa and Ramon Urias. So this seems as good a time and place as any to mention their respective home/road splits this year. (Memphis, as I’m sure everyone here knows, is a pretty significant pitcher’s park. At least when you compare it to the vast majority of the Pacific Coast League stadiums.)

Edmundo Sosa now has a cool .900 OPS away from AutoZone Park this year, which is 232 points above his home OPS. And it’s critical to note that his road numbers have NOT been padded by the hitter-happy havens of the PCL. Specifically, Edmundo has played zero games in Vegas, Albuquerque, El Paso, and Salt Lake City.

The 23-year-old shortstop has played four games in Omaha, typically a good hitting park, and four more in the fairly notorious Reno stadium. And that’s it. That’s the only games in anything like a severe hitter’s park for Sosa. (In those 8 games by the way he batted .447 and slugged .684.)

Ramon Urias on the other hand has a road OPS that’s 302 points above his home total (.945 to .643). Urias has also played no games in El Paso, Albu-Q, Salt Lake, or Vegas. He does have three AB’s in Reno. “Three AB’s in Reno.” Sounds like a bad Ry Cooder/Terry Cashman collaboration.

So these middle infielders probably warrant more attention than they’ve received this year. Some guys really are hurt by their home park more than others. It was true of Tommy Pham in the minors, it was true of Gorman & Herrera in Peoria this year, it’s been true of Harry Bader in the majors — I’d tell you the Bader Home/Road career splits, but you wouldn’t believe me — and it certainly seems to be true for this duo at Memphis. (I strongly suspect that with Bader it’s actually a case of David Wright Syndrome, but that’s a story for another day.)

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It appears that Dylan Carlson will, indeed, spend the entire season at AA Springfield if he has not been moved up this late in the season. Yesterday he once again outperformed expectations with two home runs and two steals. He also had one homer the day before. Assuming he will be in Memphis next season I would not be surprised to see him with the big team late in the 2020 season. Problem is that he is an outfielder and it appears that the Cards are pretty well stocked out there especially if they extend or offer a new contract to Ozuna. Bader, ONeil, Fowler and Thomas are also playing the OF which makes it rather crowded. It is starting to appear that the Cards youth have a bright future in MLB.

Yadi did not do well with the bat on his rehab but, afterall, I think his mission was to see if he could catch and bat with that thumb problem healed.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Malcom Nunez with three doubles last night and now has a batting line of .345/.402/.536 at Johnson City. His K and walk rates are decent although not great, but the 18 year old is performing very well (not quite Nolan Gorman good but still good) in the Appy League. Hopefully his second shot at Peoria will go better next spring.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have a logjam of outfielders, and with Sosa out of options next year, that seems like they would be good trade chips. And the way he is playing, Carlson is on the radar for sometime in 2020.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been talking about the OF logjam for awhile now.

Ozuna
    Fowler
    JMart
    Edman (shaking my head)
    Munoz (ditto)
    Bader
    O’Neill
    Thomas
    Arozarena
    Adolis-Garcia
    Carlson

And on the way:
    Torres
    Soler

While yes it is a nice problem to have there needs to be some serious pruning. I would implore the FO to use this surplus of quality depth to obtain some quality starting pitching in the offseason. While it should have been done before July 31 maybe there will be a better deal to be had this winter.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nunez’ BABIP at JC is .407. I guess the good fortune is catching up with him after his .232 BABIP at Peoria. The real guy is likely somewhere in between.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nunez’ BABIP at JC is .407. I guess the good fortune is catching up with him after his .232 BABIP at Peoria. The real guy is likely somewhere in between.

Or he’s making high quality contact now that he wasn’t making against higher level pitching. Of course it’s unlikely that he will continue to BABIP over .400 at higher levels but many excellent hitters have had high BABIPs in the lower minors and while it flattened out as they rose up the system, it was still proof more of contact quality than luck.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While yes it is a nice problem to have there needs to be some serious pruning. I would implore the FO to use this surplus of quality depth to obtain some quality starting pitching in the offseason. While it should have been done before July 31 maybe there will be a better deal to be had this winter.

If this year (and most of the last five) have taught us anything, it’s that you can’t have too much depth. While I’m not averse to using the depth to upgrade the system, there are several guys on that list who are unknowns to say the least.

Ozuna will likely be gone as a FA
    Fowler or Jmart, one may be traded
    Edman will likely be a full time IF
    Munoz will probably stay as a utility guy
    Bader, O’Neill, Thomas are three guys who could be trade bait but any of the three could be the starting CF next year
    Arozarena will probably get a shot at a spot next year
    Garcia may (should) be a DFA or lotto ticket trade candidate
    Carlson is likely to be in Memphis all year next year but if he rakes he might get a shot

Long term I think your OF will be made of some mix of Jmart-Fowler for a year or two along with two of Bader-O’Neill-Thomas and Arozarena-Carlson. Hopefully it works out but the roster would allow for them to hang on to the majority for a short while longer. History says that the depth will probably be needed.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pitching depth is needed also. It might be a good idea to tap into a surplus to replenish a weak area.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years