Minor league thread – Sun 6/2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sun 6/2

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We shall see if the rumors are true, with Reyes back to Memphis and Roberts starting at Palm Beach…

Memphis vs. Oklahoma City, TBA 2:05 CT
    Springfield vs. NW Arkansas, Williams Perez (5-2, 5.22) 6:10 CT
    Palm Beach at Florida (completion of suspended game and regular game), TBA, noon ET
    Peoria at Wisconsin, Diego Cordero (2-4, 2.98) 1:05 CT

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I couldn’t find a proper Alex Reyes thread, so apologies for putting this here, but perhaps an interesting topic. If I understand it properly, he had 2.055 years of service time going into the year, then gained around 10 to start the year, making it 2.065 days. The “extra year of control” is typically gained around April 17-20 it seems based on the big names (Bryant, Vlad Jr, etc). So if Reyes spends roughly 3 more weeks in the minors, they gain control for the extra year correct (through 2023)?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This season is 186 days, but the most service time a player can accrue in a season is 172 days. For the Cards to keep Reyes the extra year, he would need to finish 2019 at 171 days or less (and never be optioned out again in future seasons).

Using your number, if he is at 2.065 now, he would need to spend no more than 106 additional days active this season to get under the mark. So your three more weeks out seems a reasonable estimate.

However, if he progresses well, they probably won’t keep him down that long. But that is still a big “if”.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Thank you, I appreciate the clarification. I know they claim that they never make decisions based on service time, but I have to believe that isn’t entirely ignored.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If 106 days or less is the key to retaining him another year, wouldn’t June 15th be on or near that deadline for Reyes? And barring an injury, it would seem he has at least 3 more starts in the minors. Probably more than that though.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On service time, there are a number of examples in the past when it was not manipulated by the Cardinals. When others have brought up the possibility in the past, I have asked them to share examples to the contrary, but no one could provide them – except for other teams.

On Reyes specifically, he was kept in Palm Beach until doctors determined his broken finger was far enough along in healing that he could risk batting. Hard to manipulate that. I think if he was dominant in a couple of starts for Memphis, he would be brought up to St. Louis immediately. On the other hand, given his recent results in PB – good but far from great – I don’t think he is going to be ready that fast – service time and broken finger aside.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Reyes is under control for another year, it is simply his own fault. Without injury, he may have been called up instead of Cabrera. I agree that over the years the Cardinals primary concern is readiness.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Brian on this one. While teams like the Cubs, Blue Jays, Padres, and White Sox have notoriously manipulated the service time of their young stars the Cardinals have rarely done that and I applaud them for that. I think Reyes will be in St. Louis as soon as he is physically ready and performing well.

One of the reasons for this strategy is that the Cardinals seem more willing to give their young players long term extensions than other teams, therefore service time manipulation becomes a moot point. CMart, Wong, and DeJong are prime examples of that.

The Cubs, on the other hand, almost never give out extensions. Hendricks received one recently but guys like Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, Almora, Russell, and Edwards are all going year to year. This strategy can limit your long term exposure but it could also be a ticking time bomb if all of them become free agents at the same time (2021 and 2022).

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Roberts debut did not go well. 4 innings, 5 runs all earned so far. Oh well, it is his first start. I wish Palm Beach had TV, but maybe note today.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Palm Beach game is at the Florida Fire Frogs, but they don’t have home TV either. From the audio, it appears Roberts gave up some hard-hit balls. I did not hear any velos mentioned, though that isn’t his calling card, anyway.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like Cabrera and Reyes have a lot riding on these upcoming starts…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t mind seeing Cabrera moving to the pen if Reyes goes back into the rotation. Having a LH throwing 98mph out of the pen is intriguing, if he has control.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s just the Memphis curse. That team seems like they may never win another game again.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Looking at Reyes rehab from last May….23 innings no runs, 7 BB and 44 K’s.
    A year later – taking a similar path his numbers aren’t very good. Of course
    this rehab is from a different injury. I’m hoping it’s just rust. I watched
    the game today – velocity was good but he was behind in the count often.
    Seems unlikely he’ll be called up soon after today’s performance. Hopefully
    Gomber is close to returning.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The full seasons ended today’s play 20 games under .500. Recently they were 5 games over. Big drop off.

Peoria still a fun team to watch with Perez, Gorman, Herrera, Nunez and Torres. Still striking out on bad pitches too much but appears to be loads of potential there. Nunez and Torres still below the Mendoza Line but they both look like they have a good chance to stay there. Got off to a terrible start.

The deterioration of the Memphis team is shocking. They were supposed to have a dominating team. The Brewers’ San Antonio team has dominated them. A lot of the Memphis woes is the bullpen as is the case in Springfield and Peoria as well.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Gorman would be getting promoted soon. The question is if Nunez is ready for full time 3rd base at Peoria, which at the moment seems unlikely. He and Torres seem improved from a few weeks ago, but do you send them to JOhnson City or State College to get confidence? The next couple weeks should be interesting.

No decision needed on Reyes, bad start means another start coming at least.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The reason I think Torres and Nunez will stick is that in watching their plate appearances they seem to have gained the confidence necessary to perform at that level.

The next two weeks are critical for them. Torres also has made some good defensive plays. Has a good arm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years