Minor league thread – Sun 5/5

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Sun 5/5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Nashville (2) – Genesis Cabrera (0-2, 8.10), Ryan Helsley (0-0, 3.00) 2:05 CT
    Springfield at Frisco – Johan Oviedo (league debut) 4:05 CT
    Palm Beach vs. Fort Myers – Perry DellaValle (1-1, 2.45) 12:00 pm CT
    Peoria vs. Bowling Green – Jacob Schlesener (0-3, 18.41) 5:05 CT

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Has any minor leaguer been more disappointing this year than Cabrera?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, IMO, Evan Kruczynski has been a bigger unpleasant surprise. For a different reason, Alex Reyes could be right up there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis broadcaster commenting on O’Neill’s HR. Redbirds up 8-1 in the second inning of Game 1.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera still gave up 2 homers. Is his fastball straight? Tipping pitches? I’m glad he went 5.

And Dorman has been scuffling. He needs to cut down on the K’s.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It most certainly does appear that the Cards got fleeced on the Tommy Pham trade. It’s pretty possible, even likely, that they got zero major league talent for Pham. Such is dealing with the Rays, the only team that seems to consistently make the kind of trades you dream up as a kid baseball fan: they give up spare parts that they don’t want anyway and get back very useful players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

25, what am I missing here? Cabrera is just 22, left-handed, throws 96-97 and has only 24 innings of experience at Triple-A so far. Yet, you’ve already written his obit, but why?

The home run ball is biting most everyone.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps it’s an unfair early call or maybe it’s just a feeling, but he’s only had one good season above rookie ball (his 2017). Otherwise, he just doesn’t strike you as a guy who’s had an unlucky bad run. Then again, I didn’t have much hope for Jake Woodford either, and he has put himself on the radar this year.

There used to be a feeling (in the early Mo years) that if the Cards traded a prospect, watch out because it likely meant that he wasn’t going to pan out and they knew that. That’s how I feel about the Rays.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays may have fleeced us but they do that to a lot of people. I still don’t regret the trade because Pham was/is a head case. I’m glad he is someone else’s headache now. He may put up a few flashy numbers but in the end he will end up hurt and/or trashing someone in social media. I am surprised he hasn’t developed some of Fowler’s depression since he is always so “mistreated.” Good riddance.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Bumps and bruises? The Redbirds got plunked 5 times in their opener. The Chiefs also had 5 HBP in their game. Schles pitched 2.2 inns and had a no-hitter going… it was the seven walks and 2 HBs that did him in. 75 pitches…. 30 strikes. That boy ain’t right.

Palm Beach’s Nick Plummer continues to strike out too much this season. He hit the .50% rate (37/74) yesterday with 3ABs and 3Ks. In the last two seasons Plummer’s saving grace was the number of walks that kept his OBP at around .350. In ’19… only 7 in his 74 ABs.(OBP=.273) His .149 is not matching his potential (’15 1st rounder). The organization has been plenty patient.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Montero must be getting ready to be activated, hence the Billings release. Billings known more for his defense was hitting .370 in a small sample 10-27. That leaves Carlson’s .268 as the S-Card’s top hitter.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking that the reason the Rays fleeced us on Tommy Pham is because no other team wanted anything to do with him. Here was a player that the Cardinals drafted at the age of 18, then nursed along through all his injuries and all his struggles. Then, right after he emerged as a viable contributor at the major league level, he started complaining, and even bad mouthing, the hand that fed him all those years. I’m glad he’s gone from here, although I still want him to get financial independence because of all his trials and tribulations, both professionally and personally. Just don’t want him getting it here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.