Minor league thread – Mon 7/15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Mon 7/15

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis at Round Rock, 7:05 pm CT, Genesis Cabrera (3-4, 5.83)
    Springfield, Palm Beach off
    Peoria vs. Great Lakes, 11:05 am CT, Michael Baird (0-1, 2.35)
    State College vs. Staten Island, 12:00 pm ET, Scott Politz (1-2, 8.69)
    Johnson City at Elizabethton, 6:30 pm ET, Julio Puello (1-1, 5.23)
    GCL Cards vs. Mets, 12:00 pm ET, Inohan Paniagua (1-1, 6.60)
    DSL Blue off
    DSL Red at Cubs2, 10:30 am ET, Diorys Guerrero (0-1, 4.82)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Any word on Fagalde?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No. Springfield is off today, and is heading out on a road trip, limiting news access. If there is an IL move, it may be Tuesday.

Peoria and State College lost their day games today. So did GCL and DSL Red, so another losing day overall.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nunez starting for the first time for Johnson City. Just hit a grand slam home run. Torres also hit a homer as JC is leading Elizabethton 7-0 in 5th. Nunez also has a single. Puello 4 hitless innings with 0 bb and 7 k’s.
    Fletcher not playing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see if Randy gets called up to St. Louis or not. Ozuna should be back in a couple of weeks, Fowler isn’t going anywhere, JMart is still around, O’Neill has been playing well, and Bader is still around. Would there be room for Randy? Maybe someone gets traded?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Bader goes back to Memphis for a couple weeks to work on his swing?

Although I’d be in the “trade Jmart” camp. I like the guy but his bat isn’t that great to overcome his poor defense.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Nunez back in Grand fashion, and Torres homered also.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Adolis Garcia might be a trade chip. Due to his poor contact/walk rates he has fallen behind Carlson, Thomas, O’Neill, and Arozarena. His developement (or lack thereof) seems a shame with the overall talent he has.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Although I’d be in the “trade Jmart” camp. I like the guy but his bat isn’t that great to overcome his poor defense.>

His bat has been better than most others on the team. He is not anything more than an average defender but has improved with the extra help from Edmonds and Magee. I have seen one error on him when he dropped a base hit allowing the runner to take 2B. In the end it didn’t matter because the inning ended with no damage. Bader let a ball get by him last night which ONeil picked up and Fowler has had his moments too. The constant calls about JMarts poor defense remind me of folks saying Trump is a racist.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Bader goes back to Memphis for a couple weeks to work on his swing?

Although I’d be in the “trade Jmart” camp. I like the guy but his bat isn’t that great to overcome his poor defense.

I would be in favor of both of those ideas. If Bader and JMart could be combined into one player you might have something but separately they are just bench pieces.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The constant calls about JMarts poor defense remind me of folks saying Trump is a racist.

I am sure our moderators will remind you that this isn’t a political board.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<I am sure our moderators will remind you that this isn’t a political board.>

Wasn’t meant as a political statement. Just something that everybody could understand. Lots of accusations without facts – about JMart.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

His bat has been better than most others on the team. He is not anything more than an average defender but has improved with the extra help from Edmonds and Magee.

With all due respect, it’s not really possible to paint Jmart as anything more than a bad defender. He has three errors this year, which is about the best stat he has going. He’s been worth -9 defensive runs saved this year, which is a career worst in the OF. Now I know that all defensive metrics can be a little wonky, but when they all paint the same picture, it’s hard to deny. In Jmart’s case, they all do. He’s a -10.5 UZR/150 defender, and if you include the Inside Edge Fielding, he has made 0 impossible, remote, unlikely or even catches this year (those are ones that an average fielder has a 0-60% chance to catch). In fact, he’s only 1 of 3 on the “likely (60-90%) group. He’s made all the routines, at least.

For some more perspective, he’s 33rd of 34 RF with >250 PA in DRS, 28th in UZR/150, and 26th in “defense” score. So no…he is not average. He’s bad and only getting worse, as each of his metrics has gotten worse from his earlier years.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Minuteman – Trump’s racism, alleged or actual, isn’t a topic or example for this board.

Thanks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to the 2019 SABR Defensive Index, which has made up 25% of Gold Glove Award scoring for the last seven years, Jose Martinez currently ranks second-to-last among all MLB right fielders (-5.8).

Last season, he was tied for third-worst among MLB first basemen, with a -5.5 score.

Maybe he could try another position. 😉

P.S. IMO, Martinez’ bat should be enough to overcome his defensive limitations, but so far in 2019, that is not the case. He is just a hair under average for an MLB RFers at 99 OPS+. His offense is dropping each season – 134, 125 and now, 99.

He isn’t alone among underachieving hitters, but his numbers are not above average in either side of the game in 2019. That tells me he should play less.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.