Minor league thread – Mon 5/13

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Mon 5/13

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Nashville, Austin Gomber (4-0, 2.82) 11:05 CT.
    Springfield vs. Arkansas, Evan Kruczynski (1-3, 7.79) 6:30 CT.
    Palm Beach vs. Tampa, pitcher TBA, 5:30 CT.
    Peoria vs. Beloit (2), Kyle Leahy (1-2, 3.86)/TBA 5:05 CT.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Palm Beach should see Rondon starting this evening. With the weather cutting into the schedule he hasn’t pitched in seven days.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cordero is the probable starter for Peoria in game 2 of their twinbill. Hopefully, Gorman, Nunez, and Torres play in both games. I could see Gorman and Nunez flopping 3rd base and DH’ing from one game to another.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maness pitching against the Redbirds. Gave up 2 earned runs so far. Gomber just gave up a bomb. Tied 3-3.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed is not going to buy this hype, but I don’t, either! Not yet, anyway. (FWIW, Torres is my 12th-ranked position player in the system currently.)

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nunez has been numero uno on my list for a year now with Gorman #2. Malcom is poised to prove why very very shortly now. He’ll be at Springfield next year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I splurged on milb.tv for a month to see how these kids play. So far, a couple of Ks by Torres and Nunez (looking for Torres, check swing for Nunez), and Torres with a nice throw to nail a runner at 3rd from RF. Leahy has had some trouble and gave up two runs but otherwise has been solid.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In Peoria’s second game the Chiefs get gift with an error by the opposing third baseman, followed by a dropped pop up with 2 outs. Also of note, Perez needs to not chase sliders away.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Torres struck out with the bases loaded to end the threat. That’s 4 in his first five at bats. To be fair, the pitching has mostly appeared to handle him well, going inside edge-outside off the plate with regularity. Many big leaguers struggle in those situations.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see “Pistol Pete” Talkington engaging in the arbiting for tonight’s Chiefs-Snappers twin bill. Trust me when I say there’s no holes in his game. Malcom just popped up to the 1st baseman. I figured it would only take him a handful of ABs to get settled in. He should be stroking it pretty good when Bobby Reed hits town on Wednesday to take in the action.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like Nunez wins the best contact award, Torres the least contact, and best eye goes to Gorman with a couple of walks. Not much action. Really what you expect from 2 players in their first Peoria game. Escobar looked very good, but I don’t quite understand his role. He should be the closer. Tabata looks like he has a live arm, but has a max effort delivery, a la, Fernandez.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Malcom just popped up to the 1st baseman. I figured it would only take him a handful of ABs to get settled in. He should be stroking it pretty good when Bobby Reed hits town on Wednesday to take in the action.”

I’m afraid Wednesday is just a 50-50 proposition, Pugs. Overriding family health question remains uncertain at this time. Here’s hoping.

We shouldn’t get too impatient with the young ‘uns. The MWL is a tough, tough hitting environment in general, and Peoria is a pitcher’s park on top of it. For instance, Ivan Herrera’s OPS is 140 points higher on the road than at home — and Nolan Gorman’s OPS away from Dozer Park is over 400 points higher. Yeah, 400 points.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

dac8b9
    Participant

So, I actually went to the first Peoria game yesterday with my dad and wanted to give my impressions of some of the key prospects. First off, I didn’t see Herrera play, but out of the guys I saw, Gorman by far looked the best at the plate. Frankly, he already has the physique and approach of a big leaguer.

Out of Nunez and Torres, Nunez looked like the better hitter. They were both really uncomfortable against breaking balls, but Nunez got better as the game went on and appeared to actually be making adjustments. Torres made some nice throws from right field and looked like a plus defender out there.

Delvin Perez was hitting for a much better average than I had expected and drove the ball his first at bat. Maybe he has taken a step? He’s still too skinny for my liking, though.

Brady Whalen looked uncomfortable at the plate and didn’t really impact the game much. While the score was close, the other teams starter was much better than ours as we only mustered three hits. All in all, I had a great time at the game and was impressed by Gorman and Nunez quite a bit. I think Torres will take longer than Nunez to hit in Peoria but his defense already plays well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria’s lineup looks like an all star lineup and it didn’t even include Herrera. Things usually don’t turn out the way we think they will though so be prepared for some bumpy spots in the road.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet sweet sweet report, Dacster! I haven’t seen anything that sweet since my senior prom date came bobbling down the stairs……..with a special tip of the cap to my wifey (Just in case she somehow gets her mitts on this post). Godspeed with your ailing family member, Bobby. If you do end up Dozier bound on Wednesday, you better bring your A game along to compete with Dac’s report, Bobby R.!

NUNEZ RULES!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.