Minor League Roster Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Roster Projections

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Martinez has some AAA experience from last season including the play-offs and the AAA championship game. He also caught that 2nd game of the PCL championship game when Herget struck out 18.

18?!???! I must have missed that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, the actual count was 15 in eight innings. I just let it go initially and focused on Martinez.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The St. Louis roster is the most clear cut of all the teams. One or two positions may become a surprise, but basically the roster is set as propsed. The organization might want to put Kelly at Memphis… a ST wonder might emerge in the BP… another INF might be added, thus sending Bader to AAA.

AAA Memphis/AA Springfield will be loaded with good OF prospects JAGarcia-O’Neill-Arozarena-Mercado-Bader?
    The starting rotation will also be very strong with a number of highly-regarded prospects. Predicting those two rosters will be more challenging.

Like BW stated, there’s a lot of names out there, just where they wind up is hard to forecast.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cards signed former Marlin Yefri Perez to a minor league contract and assigned him to AA Springfield. Perez actually got called up by the Marlins in 2016. Looking at his stats he must be one heck of a defensive player because his offensive stats sure didnt warrant a call up. And in 2017 he was even worse offensively.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t get all of these signings. Some of these signings are very questionable. Its like they’re just throwing darts hoping something sticks.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just don’t see how they have room for all of the minor league free agents they signed. Sure seems like they will be releasing a lot of signees, at least those at the AA and AAA levels.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Jordon Schafer released. Hat tip J. Rocke who got it from Raines.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quite a logjam

Assuming STL rotation of:
    Wacha. Wainright, Weaver, Martinez, and Mikolas

Memphis starting candidates:
    Flaherty, Helsley, Hudson, Gomber, Gant, Poncedeleon, Molina, Colon

Springfield possibles:
    Woodford, Fernandez, Jones, O’ Reilly, Ellis,

I would list Greene and Gonzales, but they appear to be moved the bullpen, with Gonzales their likely closer.

Also Alex Reyes isn’t even included yet until he is more ready.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Why would you say Greene and Fernandez would be in the bullpen. That has not been the Catdinal’s history. Even guys with the bullpen in their future, if the Cards think they have high upsides they try to get them as many innings as possible in the minors. Ellis is a better bullpen bet in my opinion.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You left out Pearce also as a AAA candidate.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Barring numerous injuries, I think Molina and Colon face uphill battles just not to be released. Hopefully one of them has found a secret formula that will propel them to a higher level.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget about Hicks as a Double-A starting candidate given you have O’Reilly listed.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I did forget Hicks. Which bumps at least Ellis. Still wonder what role the Cards favor for Gant, Poncedeleon, etc. Perhaps they will do a 6 man rotation for AA and AAA?

14NyquisT
    Participant

`With good springs Santos and Tewes can be in the running at AA-Springfield. I know there are a lot of arms in the mix but the AAA guys should be ready for a MLB 5-man rotation should they be needed there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see the trickle down effect for the starters. I hope I am wrong, but there seems to be a falloff after AA starters. Outside of Oviedo and Seijas, the ceiling seems lower on possible Palm Beach and Peoria starters. Of course there are bound to be some surprises, which is what makes following the minor league affiliates most interesting.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The real drop off will be at Peoria, and continue on down. There will be opportunities for some borderline pitching prospects.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

While Hicks is a candidate for AA to start the year, I think he starts at PB. Not sure his punishment is over yet.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

So who takes Flaherty’s rotation spot in Memphis?

Previously I was projecting
    Hudson
    Flaherty
    Gant
    Gomber
    Poncedeleon
    With both Hicks and Helsley at Springfield.

Who steps up? Hicks? Helsley? Does Herbet now get a shot? Pearce misses out. Molina might also be an option.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Memphis
    Gomber
    Gant
    Hudson
    Poncedeleon
    Herget

Springfield
    Woodford
    Hicks
    Helsley
    O’Reilly
    Jones
    Ellis

Palm Beach
    Fernandez
    Santos
    Tewes
    Warner
    Shew
    Sexton

Peoria
    Oxnevard
    Kruczynski
    Dobzanski
    Seijas
    Oviedo
    MaVorhis

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont think Fernandez will return to Palm Beach. Not sure why Kruczynski or Oxnevard would return to Peoria. Dobranski was moved to the bullpen at the end of last season and excelled, my guess is he continues in that role this year starting at Palm Beach. While Derian Gonzalez may seem destined for the bull pen long term, I think he will continue as a starter for now in order to build innings, probably at Springfield.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Fernandez missed a significant chunk of time last year on the DL. It’s one reason I can why they would start him there. Also, there are only so many spots for starters. I’m not sure where anyone will go outside of Memphis. Some guys might just have to repeat a level because there isnt enough room.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

BHC, yes, we are all just guessing at this point. I also think it is time for Ellis to be moved to relief. Supposedly has a live arm but cant seem to put it together. Time to try something different with him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its very hard to predict landing spots right now. I don’t know what’s happening at ST regarding what coaches are seeing and feeling. I will say this…. the depth of the starters has been weakened by the departure of Alcantara, Gallen, Pearce and now with the Wainwright injury we have used our #6 (Flaherty). I’m assuming that Gant becomes #6 now. He’s the only other one with MLB experience.

You can see how staffs dwindle. There are a few SPs that could be ready very soon Hudson, Gomber, Helsley, Poncedeleon, Hicks, Greene but there are always big IFS involved. Its good to see young guys from the organization move up and be successful like CMartinez, Wacha and Weaver.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cardinals pitching could be scary good very soon.

Right now, though, it looks a little thin.

–Ben Fredrickson today’s PD

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I feel very strongly both ways. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.