Minor league Opening Day – Thu 4/5

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league Opening Day – Thu 4/5

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Assume all games will be in the evening unless noted otherwise.

Memphis at Round Rock: John Gant
    Springfield at Midland: Jake Woodford
    Palm Beach vs. Jupiter: Anthony Shew
    Peoria at Burlington: Jake Walsh

Our free morning recaps of the previous night’ games will be back again for 2018, prepared by Leonda Markee, Marilyn Green and Josey Curtis.

Usually when you see this new thread posted each morning, it also means the recap article is live on the home page. It also includes more info, including pitcher records and game time, which I am not going to repeat here.

PadsFS
    Participant

I know next to nothing about Walsh. It kind of surprising they are starting him in the opener after having him in the JC bullpen last year. All I know of him from the draft was that he transferred a lot in college.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

All I know about Walsh is David Kopp was his pitching coach in college so I like him!

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For those that don’t know about him, here’s what Johnson City manager Roberto Espinoza said about Walsh in my interview with him last year.

“He’s going to attack hitters. He has a lot of determination. He pitches with a lot of passion. Every pitch he just goes out there and attacks the zone and attacks the hitter.

“He has a nasty breaking pitch, a 12-6 breaking pitch that he combines with a high-spin fastball. He can reach mid-90s. He just dominated the league (last year).

“He was really good for that league. We just tried to get him to face different type of hitters. His stuff, determination on the mound, and the way he pitches is really unique.”

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also worth noting Greg Holland will pitch today. D Goold said in his chat that Holland prefers coming out of the bullpen tonight instead of starting for Palm Beach, so there’s that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not only is Holland pitching tonight (and scheduled Saturday), TCN’s local reporter for Palm Beach this season, Ryan Finkelstein, will be at Roger Dean tonight. Ryan will file a special report on Holland’s outing.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m really excited to see what Jonatan Machado brings to the table at Peoria too. Hopefully, he has a better showing than Sierra did in 2015. Seems like the path they are taking with him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Too bad for the minor leaguers that their season openers get overshowdowed by the big club’s home opener.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anthony Shew is the opening starter for Palm Beach.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love when the minor leagues open their season. I look forward to some new faces, and like the spring season itself, there is optimism for these young kids.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any news on the 14 players, including Mieses, that were in limbo? Perhaps some are injured?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You might think this info is readily available, but it is not. It is going to take some time to get all the answers. Whatever I discover will first be shared on the members board and in subscriber articles.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand Brian. Is it unusual for this time of the year to have that many unaccounted for? I also would have thought, other than Peoria, injured players would be placed on each respective teams’ DL?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious about Walsh. I will have to watch for him be pitching when I go to Peoria.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Answers a few roster questions from Arozarena moving up and Flaherty down to Memphis: https://twitter.com/D_Shore23/status/981945418945843202

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, yes the limbo number seems large, though if my memory serves me correctly, there were around 10 this time last year. Yes, some of the limbo players could actually be on their prior team’s DL, but they haven’t been listed on the rosters released.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Note the promo code for a discount on your MiLB.tv subscription.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria has a number of interesting relievers who had some high k/9 innings ratio. I’ll be interested to see them at Peoria along with Walsh, Oviedo, and Seijas.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not good for Junior considering all of the time he missed last year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not necessarily assume an injury (cough, cough). Fernandez was listed as the #6 starter as the rotation was announced earlier today, so may not even miss a start. They had to make roster room for Holland this weekend so I knew someone would be deactivated today from the initial 26. The last starter in the rotation would seem to be be least painful.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Won’t Holland’s roster spot roll into Gregerson’s?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.