Minor League Opening Day Game Thread – Tuesday, May 4

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Opening Day Game Thread – Tuesday, May 4

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Durham
    Springfield vs. Wichita
    Peoria at Cedar Rapids
    Palm Beach vs. Daytona

All evening games.

DavidDavid
    Participant

Free

Every great pitcher has an off night but I don’t get that feeling that this will be the night for DeGrom. If Oviedo can keep it close and we’re able to get DeGroms pitch count high so he’ll be lifted by the 7th, we may have a chance for a late inning rally against their bullpen.
    I won’t predict the outcome but here is My predictions for tonight.

1. DeGrom K count is single digits.
    2. Carlson goes Deep after the 6th
    3. Neither starter has a decision

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been waiting for this thread! So good to see the minors starring back up again. Our first look at Bedell is the highlight of the night for the starting pitching, IMO. Also excited to see how our young hitters look in their initial at bats after the long layoff.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman batting third in what will be his Double-A debut tonight. Delvin leading off for Springfield. Baker at cleanup and Herrera hitting fifth in what should be a pretty potent Springfield lineup. Will be fun to follow over the next few months.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was checking old Minors Threads and saw Derek Shore in there. Glad to see you check in, Derek. We miss your work even if we know you are on to new things! Hope all is well!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hope all is well with you, too. I couldn’t miss Opening Day. Hope to be on here more as the season goes along.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Walker has the first hit and home run of the Cardinals minor league season. And, if you can trust game cast, it was on the first pitch he saw.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Masyn Winn has started his minors career with two Ks in two plate appearances. Patrick Romero drew a walk in his 2nd PA and got caught trying to steal 2nd.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Walker has a perfect a OPS of 5.000

Participant

Paid - Annual

6’5 18 year old. Has a birthday coming up on the 22nd of this month, so I don’t think Jordan will make it to the show as an 18 year old. Off the top of my head I can’t recall too many 18 year old MLers…..Robin Young, David Clyde, ….Guy with Cincy from way back….Joe Nuxall or Johnny VanDerMeer I believe.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much exciting going for any of the affiliates early, especially on offense. Memphis is in a rain delay. Springfield is tied 0-0 in the 6th. Peoria is being shut out, 7-0 in the 5th. Palm Beach did manage to win it 4-3.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I once had hopes that lhp Schlesener could improve his control, but he walked 4 in a row for Peoria to walk in a run. Surprised Plummer made the Springfield team, but he does have a hit tonight.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ian Bedell doesn’t get through he first inning of his start at High A Peoria. Hope it turns out to be a character builder for him.

Herrara opens the season with at least one hit for Springfield

LJ Jones IV got a hit tonight for Palm Beach.

Non-drafted Nick Trogrlick-Iverson opens his professional baseball experience with 5 scoreless innings for Palm Beach.

Domingo Robles comes out of nowhere to pitch 5 scoreless innings for Double A Springfield.

Tommy Parsons opens up the season for Memphis. I don’t think the starters are rated (i.e. top of rotation, 2nd, middle rotation, bottom) at the minor league level.

It’s so fun to have the minor leagues back at it again.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

Man, excited for some MiLB!

Palm Beach
    Not sure if anyone noticed but that lineup with Walker, Jones, Lott and Fuller is like a starter kit for D-1 football front seven. Also they hit a little.
    Great debut for Walker.
    Lott looked good and jones got a hit.
    Winn and Nunez kind of what you expect getting their first taste of pro ball (3 stikeouts though, ouch). Both are a little less polished and not unexpected they would struggle out of the gate.
    Wonder if D. Williams gets the start tomorrow or if they go with Winn again.

Peoria
    Unfortunate beginning to Bedell’s pro career. Nunez, Whalen and Pages get hits and….yeah, that seems to sum it up.

Springfield
    Small sample size, but raise your hand if you had Perez and Plummer leading the way and going 4-7 in the opener. Robles looked strong and Escobar strikes out the side in the 9th. 8 hits so just need to string some together.

Memphis
    Nice days for Thomas (nice OF assist too) and Moroff. 13 strikeouts seems a bit excessive, until you see Durham had 14 so…there’s that.

All in all Minor League ball is still a good time to keep up with, even if my beloved JC Cards are no more.

Lets go Doughboys! Maybe they’ll wear the helmets instead of baseball caps.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years