Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 9-14

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 9-14

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As to Saturday’s starters, I had been anxious to see how Alex Cornwell (A+ LHSP) would fare. Another curious draft choice. He was injured his first two years at college (have not been able to find out the nature of the injuries) and then lost the covid year. He pitched finally his fourth year but didn’t put up impressive numbers. Hmmm. My guess is we were out of money by the 15th round.

His low BB/9 had caught my attention. That accompanied by an adequate K/9. He does get hit around, like yesterday, but he keeps it in the yard which suggests he will benefit from better defense if he can get to the higher levels. I like a guy who throws strikes and gives his defense a chance. He’s a Ford though, if ever there was one, so I don’t know if he’ll go anywhere in the Cardinals organization. Not walking anybody will help.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

They should promote both Curriale & Yeager and demote both Tovalin & Francisco.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LACardFan – I’m sure both Curialle and Yeager will be promoted soon. The first round usually happens around Memorial Day. I’m not sure what they will do with Francisco, but I doubt he gets demoted. Maybe just let go at some point this season. I actually like Tovalin a lot though and I don’t see him getting demoted. Why not the other 3rd baseman- Francisco Hernandez instead? He’s really never hit. And he’s the exact same age as Tovalin.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Jnevel – my point is neither Curriale nor Yeager belong on the Palm Beach squad. If we believe in meritocracy, promote them and demote others to make room.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They will be promoted soon. Have patience.

For Curialle, it 100% makes sense that he started there since he wasn’t very good last year. Yeager is more interesting. We signed him as an undrafted player. He had really good numbers in college. But he was old for college. Then he hit well for us last year at Palm Beach. Now he’s 24 going on 25. So a guy his age should be in AA. But the Cards sent him back to repeat Palm Beach. And well, wouldn’t you know it, he is hitting well again – now against guys mostly 3-5 years younger than him. So I don’t know if he’s actually any good or not. I assume by the Cards actions that they don’t think so or they would have pressed him more than Low A. But now they pretty much have to move him up and I’m sure they will. Last year the first shuffle came about one week prior to Memorial Day. I’d expect the same here in the next 1-2 weeks.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Victor Scott is an interesting prospect and be a top 30 at this point. Speed and defense are his calling card. Maybe he’ll make it as a starter or fourth outfielder.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are getting close to June, so minor league promotions should be coming. Plus, I am interested to see Brians prospect rerankings.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

May prospect rankings coming Tuesday morning for members!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards27 – Victor Scott is most definitely top 30. In fact, on my little list I keep for fun, I now have him at 11. His speed and defense are fantastic. He just needs to keep working on his hit tool. He’s been solid there but has a ways to go to be MLB ready. Still, he’s now a really exciting prospect who potentially could be an actual true center fielder. Antico still offers some promise there too, but he’s older and probably will never be an above average MLB hitter.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.