Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 14-20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 14-20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I believe kscardfan was left speechless by Gordon Graceffo’s excellent Double-A pitching performance! He was no Miles Mikolas but he did hold his opponent to just a trio of singles across 7 innings. Lowered his Springfield ERA to 2.78 and overall season number to 1.58 with a 72-to-6 strikeout-to-walk tally.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Boy, that’s an uninspiring group of pitchers. Hence is exciting, but “TBA” probably gives his team the next best chance to win.

Also, Graceffo seems like the type that could have been a September bullpen call up back when teams could do that sort of thing. I think he could be a weapon in relief already. But I’m very intrigued by him as a starter late next year or 2024.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RHP James Naile (2-2, 3.68) is starting a bullpen game for Memphis.

I just taped with Danny Mac. I told him that I see Graceffo in a place a lot like Pallante was 12 months ago.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Positionally, I agree with you. On that note, do you see Pallante and Graceffo as similar value prospects? I know you have them ranked about the same but Graceffo looks to have a very high ceiling.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That seems like a fun comparison for me to dig into…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tink Hence, Jose Moreno and Roy García combined for a no-hitter today.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hence is making like Gordon Graceffo at Palm Beach. He’s not going deeo into games, but the results are scintillating. 14.4 K/9 against 3 BB/9 and a 0.60 ERA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair enough, but being specific, through five starts, Hence is being limited to three innings and 45-55 pitches only. It is a lot easier facing an opposing lineup one time only.

Graceffo was limited in his first partial season because he pitched a spring of college ball then in a showcase league after that before the draft.

On the other hand, Hence was in the same draft class as fellow high schoolers Walker and Winn and two years later, is still under wraps (a total of just 23 career innings pitched).

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Jordan Walker with a walkoff 2R HR!

Springfield has a very exciting team, Walker, Winn, Gomez, Graceffo and McGreevy are all likely top 10 guys next year.

I know there is a logjam in Memphis, but I’m a little surprised Gomez hasn’t been called up to see what they have in him before deciding whether or not to add him to the 40 man after the season. The 30%+ K rate likely the reason?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Jordan Walker walk off reminds me of a Mike Shannon quote. Throwing a fastball to Walker was like trying to sneak the sun past the rooster. 432 feet later, GAME OVER!!

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

That blast was a Walker-off.
    Sorry, I couldn’t stop myself. And I agree, ChiTown, that the quintet you mentioned will probably all be among the Redbird top 10 prospects. An early-early guess of my own list would be, in order, Walker, Winn, Herrera, Burleson, Graceffo, gap, McGreevy, Connor Thomas, Gomez, Hence, and Malcom Nunez, Won-Bin Cho, or some other teenage position player of note.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson with 2 more homers tonight, And hard to believe Loutos went undrafted. He could be a useful bullpen piece. He was dealing 96-98 mph heat for Springfield..

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For those who want to see the Walker bomb. I wonder what the EV was? It looked absolutely blasted.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bob R, you mentioned Nunez in your top 10, I was looking at stats, etc recently and at first was like wow, those aren’t impressive numbers. However, if he would have gone to college, he would just be getting drafted now, and he’s already in AA. The .368 OBP, almost a 1-1 BB-K rate is very encouraging. At this point I’d likely have him at the end of my top 10, also.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nunez is an interesting guy…as a 1B/DH type, the bat is going to have to carry him. Right now, the numbers don’t look incredible, but he seems like a guy who should run higher than a .260 BABIP as well. If you make him league average there, his line probably jumps enough to put him at 110-115 wRC+ this year. For a guy who’s a touch young for his league, that’s plenty good enough. His issue will be that unless he’s tearing the cover off the ball, he’s got guys like Walker, Burleson and even Gorman to some extent that have similar profiles and probably will be better bats.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nunez was under the Mendoza Line in both April and May, but has been fantastic in June. I dropped him in my rankings because he already had Double-A experience last season so I did not expect a downturn in 2022. But if he keeps his recent surge going, it will be quite the turnaround.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A great week for Palm Beach pitching… they still need offense, though…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Peoria has scratched Gragg for tonight with Friday starter Zane Mills going instead.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.