Minor League Game Thread – Week of April 26-May 2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of April 26-May 2

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Check out those ERAs. Yikes.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, pretty ghastly indeed, BB. Oviedo in particular probably just needs to go to the bullpen. I understand that the Cards did him dirty by calling him up way too early (somewhat by necessity) but he clearly isn’t going to be a starter. He’s wild at 95 so he may as well throw 100 and see if he can make it on speed because he lacks control and movement on his fastball.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have long been pessimistic with Oviedo. He never had an especially competitive season above A ball. Always too many base runners. Kept getting pushed up without having figured it out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For all our hand wringing over the starters ERA today, the starters gave up a total of 2 earned runs in tonight’s action across the system. Oviedo threw 7 shutout with 8 strikeouts, and Williams also did not give up a run, with 8 Ks of his own.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I checked Memphis earlier, after 5, was happy to see Oviedo having a good game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

McGreevy with his first mediocre outing. 4-2/3 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 1 walk and 1K. Masyn Winn has been a terror at the plate with a double, triple and two steals.

Jordan Walker has a triple for Springfield today. I wouldn’t mind he and Winn being two of the infielders in 2024 or beyond.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Expounding a bit on what the esteemed stlcard25 was relaying, both Winn & Walker with a double and a triple in their respective games. Springfield shellshocked San Antonio 6-0, while Peoria nipped Wisconsin, in Appleton, by the score of 6-4. Gomez was brought back down to earth today with his 1-5 effort……4 by K’s. And Memphis is still mired in the midst of a rain delay.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Winn 203 wRC+ at A+
    Walker 135 wRC+ at AA
    Gorman 189 wRC+ at AAA
    Yepez 144 wRC+ at AAA
    Burleson 138 wRC+ at AAA
    Herrera 106 wRC+ at AAA
    Gomez 240 wRC+ at AA
    Pages 165 wRC+ at AA

Lots of hitters off to good starts including several of our top prospects.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Thanks for compiling those numbers, 25. The “worst” two of the bunch are Ivan Herrera (above average in AAA at age 21) and Jordan Walker (excelling at age 19 in AA). So it’s fair to say the hitting side of things has gone tremendously well — everywhere except the majors, anyway.

And the pitching side of the ledger has been almost as successful; Matt Liberatore and Connor Thomas have been quite solid again for Memphis, and McGreevy, Graceffo, and Dionys Rodriguez (younger than the other two) have combined for a sub-1.50 ERA at Peoria. Even Zack Thompson has surprised me by pitching presentably well, after his nightmare 2021 season.

All in all, the only Redbird prospect of note whose stock has gone down so far is Malcom Nunez. Everyone else is either holding serve or moving up. Probably makes the Cards one of the top 3-5 farm systems right now, with a reasonable chance to be #1 and have 8-10 top 100 types by July. Lotta momentum right now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

More good analysis, Bob. I have no doubt that the Cards system will move all the way up to 13th-15th in the system rankers’ eyes for next year even though it’ll probably produce top 5 seasonal WAR from rookies like it has many years in the last ten.

Also, what’s with the entire system having Monday off? You’d think the minor leagues would spread the days off out a little more.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m officially not a fan of the ali teams off on Monday

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am curios (and excited) tô ser whether Pages can continue tô hit. Former Cardinal org pitcher David Kopp the pitching coach at FAU when he was drafted and said he had Yadi potential defensively. If he can add a hit tool tô that defense he could quickly become another top prospect.

Note: David Kopp is now the pitching coach at the University of Florida

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curios (and excited) tô ser whether Pages can continue tô hit.

Pages had a tall order pushing up to high A lst year after sitting out 2020 but held his own pretty well. The same can be said for Herrera a level higher. It would be something to have two top catching prospects in the upper levels of the system.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone know how Winn is rated defensively.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Per the TCN scouting report, he’s a 55 field/60 arm guy. Fangraphs has him at a 50 fielding grade. He’s obviously very fast, and it’s also known that he has a cannon for an arm, so I don’t see why he wouldn’t be an above average to plus defender at short.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When Winn is promoted to Double-A, it would seem to write the final chapter for Delvin Perez playing short.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Curious to watch who get’s promoted to Springfield first between Winn, Graceffo and McGreevy. A case could be made for all of them for various reasons.

Gomez definitely needs to move up, I don’t know the details, but I’d assume he has to be added to the 40 man by seasons end or risk losing him. Great find none the less.

Any chance Delvin Perez has even a little trade value? Maybe a little bonus pool money?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dunno about Perez’ trade value, but I do know that international cap money can no longer be traded, so it won’t be that.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.