Minor League Game Thread – Week of April 12-18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of April 12-18

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I guessed earlier, Zane Mills is making the start for Palm Beach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geesh do I feel old. Our new minor league reporters look as if they should be jumping rope and playing hopscotch, vs writing observations and stories about our blossoming Birds. But one thing is certain…….all of them have bright futures or Brian would not have brought them onboard. Looking forward to their writeups.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moises Gomez has 3 homers in his 2 games with Springfield. Interesting that he is 23 years old, and playing in Springfield is a nice place to increase your power potential. It’s way early, but if he can keep it up, he will be a nice addition to Walker and Nunez.

And Mills with 5 scoreless innings for Palm Beach. Mcgreevy, Graceffo, and Mills all had excellent debuts.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Peoria’s Wednesday game is postponed and will be made up as part of a Friday doubleheader.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The wind must be blowing out in Charlotte tonight. A lot of offense…12-12 in the 10th. Homers for Gorman, Burleson and two huge three run homers for Yepez, including the game tying blast in the top of the 9th.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Updating Stlcard25’s Memphis game, as they move to the bottom of the 11th. Memphis has seized an 18-13 advantage. Both “Pez” and Burleson have two homers and six rbi to their credit and “Storman” Gorman is 5-6 with a dinger and amazingly only one rbi tonight. What if the winds are indeed howling tonight in Charlotte, stlcard25? Howling in and not out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What if the winds are indeed howling tonight in Charlotte, stlcard25? Howling in and not out.

As I’m only able to follow on gameday, I’m not sure

Let’s check the box score for clues…78 degrees and a 13 mph, varied wind. Hmm.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love Albert, but I have a feeling that Yepez sitting in Memphis will cost us runs and probably a win or two this year.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I was not a fan of the Pujols signing but he has held his own so far. Yepez getting the extra at bats in Memphis, not letting pitchers pitch around Gorman, and maybe securing an extra year of control. This is working out well so far.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

McGreevy with another fine outing. 6-2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 walks, 4 Ks. It’s nice to see a guy who can avoid walks and not get smoked.

Graceffo is up for the nightcap. Let’s see if he can match his battery mate.

bccran
    Participant

Great performances by McGreevy, Graceffo, and Winn.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Just a reminder. Combining Low-A and High-A last year, then-19-year-old Masyn Winn — away from the extremely pitcher-friendly environs of Roger Dean Stadium and Dozer Park — batted a stellar .320 in 185 trips to the plate.

And furthermore, if we take those road numbers from 2021 and extrapolate to 160 games, Masyn would’ve hit 16 homers, 8 triples, and 44 doubles to go with that .320 average. And he’d have posted 52 steals in 56 tries.

Based on his performance in Low-A last year as a teen, Masyn Winn probably should’ve been a consensus top 100 prospect. Across all four levels of full-season minor league ball last year, there were very few players who met these five qualifications: young for league, up-the-middle defender, 110 wRC+ or better, .60 BB/K or better, and 7.0 speed score or higher. Masyn Winn and Robert Hassell III were in fact the only two minor leaguers to satisfy all five requirements. (Both did so in Low-A at 19, before struggling upon their High-A promotions.) But I think everyone got too distracted by (1)the rather fanciful two-way possibility for Winn; and (2)his terrible performance in High-A last year.

————————————————–

Shohei Ohtani notwithstanding, the two-way thing was highly unlikely to ever reach fruition for Masyn. If he winds up a pitcher, so be it. But hitters stay healthier by a long shot, and are just generally more valuable over time. So that has naturally become the focus for Winn. Good for the Cards to not get drunk on his velocity and rush & ruin him, as they’ve done so despicably with Jordan Hicks and Johan Oviedo.

And as to the other matter, anyone who merely makes it to High-A as a teenager has already accomplished something. A positive performance there is just gravy. And a poor performance by any player when they are multiple years young for their league should simply be ignored, assuming the player succeeded one level lower during the same season.

Based on his total pro track record, estimating his 80th-90th percentile outcome, Masyn Winn could be Tim Anderson with more walks. He could be Jimmy Rollins without all the popups. Or maybe he’s just a future Tommy Edman, but at shortstop rather than keystone. And that’d be dandy too.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exciting stuff, Bob. An infield of Arenado-Winn-Gorman-Walker in a few years? Or Goldy if he keeps beating Father Time, and Walker to the OF.

bccran
    Participant

The Cards have pretty much been pitcher heavy in the minors and used pitchers as trade chits for position players. Now it’s somewhat reversed. Can anyone remember a position pipeline better than Gorman, Yepez, Donovan, Burleson, Walker, Winn, Herrera, and Baez?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A looming big logjam is on the horizon…..matter of fact, it’s already started. As Cranny just mentioned, some of these promising youngsters are going to be playing elsewhere via trade. You can’t keep them all. And it’s very likely that a couple of these guys are going to have distinguished careers….. elsewhere. Will Mo & Co. keep the right players? Which pitchers will be coming out way in return over these next couple of years? Should be fun. For starters, if I had to guess, I’d say Yepez and Nooty will not be with us next year at this time. And strangely, I keep getting this vivid vision of Winn in an Atlanta uniform.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.